It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Papa Smurf really a small, blue, racist, sexist Nazi?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Okay, so this isn't some grand conspiracy or anything related for that matter, but it was interesting none-the-less and I thought I would share and get some outside input.

The Smurfs may not be as innocent as they look. The tribe of little blue creatures who live peacefully among the mushrooms are “steeped in Stalinism and Nazism,” according to a French sociologist.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da7227900126.png[/atsimg]

“Collective work always focuses on self-sufficiency for food and energy,” Antoine Buéno states in “Le Petit Livre Bleu” (The Little Blue Book). “The Smurfs do not have private property; their leader is Papa Smurf who shows very authoritarian and paternalistic characteristics.”

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! Not my beloved Smurfs.

From what I gather, this blog author mainly covers celebrities and their actions. SO...Why is this even getting any attention to begin with? (got my attention because I grew up with the Smurfs)

While what he says does have some credence in similarity, I believe this is a far-flung stretch.

Do you believe the original creators could have been targeting children with these mindsets through cartoons?

Source

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
No not my Smurfs

I loved the smurfs, still do. Loved how they were blue and how papa smurf's hat looked like a santa hat. Then you had Smurfette, the only female amongst all those men..hmmm makes you wonder

Personally I like Gargimel, he was evil and just hated those pesky smurfts but he was like the cute old man you can't help but like..IDK maybe I was just a kid and liked all the characters.

I never looked at the Smurfs as Nazi's and I still don't..Interesting article though.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
How can one be stalinist and nazi at the same time? Didn't they fight against each other?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yeah, I literally watched the smurfs every day as a kid. We had tons of them video taped on VHS. I didn't turn out to be full of hate or a racist, so if that was the plan, it must not have worked.

I too liked Gargimel. I think you hit it right. We were too innocent as kids to really dislike any of the characters. Wait though...I remember hating his cat! That evil cat!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DharmaYoda1
How can one be stalinist and nazi at the same time? Didn't they fight against each other?

That's a great point actually. I believe one of the comments on the article said it pretty well:

How can you be a Stalinist and a Nazi? The two ideologies are at odds unless you see them as authoritarian. Sad sad sad. Also a lot of people were racist in the 1950's. Maybe true, maybe not but it was not out of character for the period.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
People stomping all over our childhood. They're jealous of the kickass cartoons we had in the 80s.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
hahahah I just got done watching the original smurfs. I guess it can be looked at that way lol. That's possible the creators of the cartoons could of been putting ideas into the kids heads who haven't heard some things they say. Every cartoon I've ever watched has at least a little bit of inyourendo and odd stuff. It's subtle but when your older you catch onto it a lot better. Search any cartoon on youtube and there is a video on it.

www.youtube.com...
' snow job on ed edd n eddy

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Gargimel, he was evil and just hated those pesky smurfs

He was not evil.
He just didn't want the rodents running around in his garden.
He was just trying to make an honest living.

Oh I see. It's Fox News. Makes sense now.

I watched '[color=SkyBlue]The Smurfs' every Saturday when I was a kid.
As far as I can tell, I am not an anti-semitic sexist racist nazi, so if that was the true original goal of the creators, then they failed with me.
edit on 6/3/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Azreil was an awesome cat!

I remember him yelling "Azzzzriiieeellllll" haha!

Yea the whole turn kids into racist nazi's, yeah that didn't work out too well.

I havent seen the movie however, my sister said it's just weird to see them not as a cartoon. I remember watching them every morning and if I didn't take a nap I wasn't allowed to watch them in the afternoon...Yeah my mom bribed me with the Smurfs!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 90percent10less

haha - wow. Is that on Nickelodeon? I've never heard of that one, but I don't have any children around. Someone showed me a compilation video of all the hidden adult humor in cartoons. It's no wonder my dad used to watch a lot of this stuff with me without any real complaint.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

It's on Cartoon Network. Nickelodeon has just as many though haha.
Your dad deffinitly had to get some laughs out of it lol.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well I knopw he wasn't sexist... Before Gargamel created Smurfette there didn't even existed female smurfs

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This kind of stuff drives me crazy. Was Papa Smurf a perfect Dad? No, but who is?

Did Azrael or Gargamel kill anyone on Papa Smurfs watch?
Was any Smurf kept in the village against their will?

Look, you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet. I think if people worried more about themselves and the politics of our country instead of how Papa Smurf governs his people, we might be better off.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple
I think if people worried more about themselves and the politics of our country instead of how Papa Smurf governs his people, we might be better off.

This was part of the discussion I was curious in having. Why would this be given front page priority on any MSM site?

Side Question: You're not talking about us are you?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

It's Fox. They are a sideshow not a valid news source. My comment was/is directed to the people who go to Fox as a news source and feel these kinds of stories are okay for the front page, especially with our politicians robbing us of civil liberties.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDisciple

While I agree with you that Fox shouldn't be considered a valid news source, as I see it as just as much propaganda as anything else; they are one of the top MSM producers in the world. I peruse multiple MSM sites along with all of my alternative sources as a part of daily habit. I'm intelligent enough to know what's good information, what's not and when I'm just not sure. The latter causing me to research for multiple sources to confirm.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I kept feeling sorry for Azrael. I wanted so much for that cat to catch and eat a Smurf.

Ever see the Robot Chicken take on it? Gargamel catches the Smurfs, and cooks them up, but then hates the taste (even the cat does), and he ends up scraping it into the trash!

There were two characters I hated though...Yohann and Pee-Wee... Those two were completely unneeded. I wanted to see Gargamel turn them into newts.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Awesome! I just watched the Robot Chicken makeup on YT. That's good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

top topics

join