It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prediction Calendar Instead of Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Am I the only person rather annoyed by the endless barrage of prediction threads. Specifically in my sights are those threads that contain absolutely no sourced information and rather begin like: "My friend told me blah blah blah and he's in the know with an in the know group, none of which can be named due to the possibility he could be killed..."

Why is this irritating?

One, because I believe that ATS rises above the many other forums on the web that contain a useless torrent of information that spreads like wildfire similar to a game of telephone. Since when have we become a forum willing to accept the word of some unknown person, with unknown sources, with unknown proof....that amazingly has come to save us all!

Two, I believe that there are people, credible people, capable of predicting events based on actual information. Whether it be economic indicators, the repetition of historical events, or other "signals" based on something tangible or something able to be actually researched.

Three, prediction threads have become so rampant that it detracts from the ones that, although may not prove true, at least have enough information that one can research information and draw a conclusion or have a discussion. This isn't about just being right, it's about creating a discussion based on something. How many people now roll their eyes as soon as they see "prediction" in the thread title?

Four, since many are in agreement that there are people on this site specifically trying to spread disinformation, what better way than to keep us distracted with nonsense so that when real events do appear to be happening, we are so conditioned that all predictions are a waste of time we don't pay attention at all?

I am not knocking all prediction threads of course. Some are extremely informative and even if the prediction itself doesn't come to fruition, at least there is something to be learned. Earthquake prediction threads, stock market predictions based on indicators, etc., are not what I am trying to address. There are even some great threads on channeling, dream analysis, etc., that contain a ton of actual information on the process, findings, similarities, etc.

The above is in direct opposition to what we seem to be primarily finding now, which is: "trust me, trust me"...followed by post after post of:

--"I don't trust you."
-- "I do trust you."
-- "Ugh...another prediction thread."
-- "My prediction is nothing will happen. Second line."

Since a problem without a solution is nothing more than a complaint, I will offer an idea.

My idea is as follows:

Instead of creating threads for all of the different predictions, whether it be doomsday, the rapture, stock market crash...whatever.....why don't we start an interactive prediction calendar? My thinking is that we would have a calendar that members could add date entries, much like any of the current contact calendars already available, and insert a few sentences (or more) on why they think that date is significant and what they think will happen. It could be searchable by day, week, month, year, etc.

Other members could then see a snapshot of the predictions for any given day, click on the headline for more information, and add stars (or flags or whatever) based on how likely they feel that event is to occur. From there, if predictions have "X" amount of stars, a thread could be created, or not, whatever members or mods or admin or owners decided.

Also, as the dates passed and were "X"ed off, people could see exactly how many failed predictions there have been. I also think this will calm some people down and prevent, or at least lessen, unnecessary fear-mongering.

Lastly, a members' predictions thrown all over the calendar, all of which prove to be without merit, could easily be spotted and that member would lose credibility. Likewise, predictions that actually come true could be highlighted in red, members could see which members are predicting accurately, and that member would gain more credibility.

This idea could of course be implemented in addition to continuing the threads, although that isn't my preference. But since I am just one member with an opinion, perhaps I am also the only member that is bothered by all of these threads.

Just a thought.
Thanks for reading.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I would simply just skip over those threads
There are many topics I prefer not to read and they are in abundance. I just move on past to something I prefer to read.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

IMHO - no - that would be worse - at least in threads there is some redress and the demand for evidence

your proposed callender would be innundated with people posting different " predictions " for every day

it would become an " infinite army of munkies , pounding an infinite bank of typewriters " machine

the first " correct " prediction - would have no merit - as its just one in the mass

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Part of the problem is that people are ignoring the basic definition of the "predictions and prophecies" forum, that it is about previously published prophecy. It's a place to discuss other people's prophecies.
If they would just pay attention to that rubric, then all the "I predict" threads would disappear automatically.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Part of the problem is that people are ignoring the basic definition of the "predictions and prophecies" forum, that it is about previously published prophecy. It's a place to discuss other people's prophecies.
If they would just pay attention to that rubric, then all the "I predict" threads would disappear automatically.

Yes. I happen to enjoy that forum and lately the *good* threads are buried. I did think about the inundation factor, and I don't have an answer except maybe a minimum flag count in order to make the calendar posting? But that's getting a little complicated.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
In principle I do like your calendar idea. It would make it interesting and easy to asses the good from the bad predictions/predictors.

If only there were some way to stop the silly posters who would add stuff just because they could to upset the applecart. About the only way to do this would be for someone to spend the necessary time to go over every existing and new prediction thread and create a calendar from that -- sort of a summary. Only that dedicated soul would be able to make entries on the calendar.

Alas, I know, however, there would be no such person/s out there willing to dedicate themselves to such an arduous task.

top topics

join