It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Love is Not a Choice"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Love is not a choice; but rather an unavoidable surrendering of the heart
To fall in love; is to open oneself to an unimaginable and immeasurable form of emotional torment

It is a concept so utterly confusing and against any form of rational thought
That to accept it as an explanation for ones state of mind is a form of intellectual suicide

Love is a cancer to our sanity
A virus to our rationality
And
A plague to our mental stability

It is an infectious disease that consumes our every conscious thought
Blinding us from the very ludicrous nature of its nonsensical existence in our lives

It is blatantly unnecessary to the prolonging and progress of humanity
Scientifically indefinable, intellectually unperceivable, and verbally unexplainable
It is a chemical imbalance, an abnormality of the mind
A flaw in our genetic coding

Yet by comparison there is no other feeling worth having
Without it, life just isn’t worth living
I would rather give up my sight, than my ability to love
I’d rather never hear again, than never again feel the love of another

It is more important to me than the air I breathe
Than the water I drink
Than the food I eat

I desire it
I embrace it

Love to me, is the meaning of life as we know it...

******For all the haters ripping on this poetic expression, perhaps you would prefer another poetic expression I wrote on love...??? Or I'll give you something else to tear apart

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3-6-2011 by sparda4355 because: Added Link to old poetic expression...

edit on 3-6-2011 by sparda4355 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Love is the only thing you can get only when you give it away first.

Love is more valuable than gold or diamonds.

Love between two people is the ultimate gift. ps christians (even if they are gay)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

I happen to disagree with you. Love is not that feeling of infatuation that you describe but the concious decision to do anything and everything for the one you have committed yourself to love.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

There are so many different kinds of love. To not even have one kind would be a truly sad situation in my opinion. But I don't think one has to have that head-over-heels love in order to be happy in life.

Others might even say, "What's love got to do with it?"

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
yes, I must agree that love is not a choice. I tell my wife all the time, "I love you, but I don't like you." And before people start getting all bent out of shape, I've been married for 15 years. She aggrivates the hell out of me, but I would do anything for her. Choice? Nope. Not with true love.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparda4355
Love is not a choice; but rather an unavoidable surrendering of the heart
To fall in love; is to open oneself to an unimaginable and immeasurable form of emotional torment

It is a concept so utterly confusing and against any form of rational thought
That to accept it as an explanation for ones state of mind is a form of intellectual suicide

Love is a cancer to our sanity
A virus to our rationality
And
A plague to our mental stability

It is an infectious disease that consumes our every conscious thought
Blinding us from the very ludicrous nature of its nonsensical existence in our lives

Scientifically indefinable, intellectually unperceivable, and verbally unexplainable

Yet by comparison there is no other feeling worth having
Without it, life just isn’t worth living
I would rather give up my sight, than my ability to love
I’d rather never hear again, than never again feel the love of another

It is more important to me than the air I breathe
Than the water I drink
Than the food I eat

I desire it
I embrace it

Love to me, is the meaning of life as we know it...

Love is a broad spectrum, containing within it the colours of compassion, empathy, humility, selflessness, temperance, and so on. It can be corrupted into something false by the ego, into things such as lust and avarice, which is what you seem to be describing at some points in your post: "cancer", "virus", "emotional torment", etc. Indeed, the false senses of want and desire can act as a cancer on one's being if they lack control over their ego. We instinctively cling to some form of love, just not for all... when we learn to love all equally, we become beacons of light. In this sense, it is a choice, but the choice becomes clear when we are out of the darkness, making any other choice completely senseless, leaving only the right choice. Because only one choice remains for the one who has conquered himself, love can seem as something automatic. And indeed it is, because it's all that remains.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm going to disagree with this bit, mainly because its not a flaw and yes it does serve a purpose. Attachment is an evolutionary adaption to ensure survival of genetic off-spring. Therefore, if love did not exist then off spring would have been less likely to survive.

Early humans - Two parents attached to each other, benefits the child immensly. I'm citing Buss and Wright on this. I'm talking about love's evolutionary purpose. Obviously its less necessary these days, one parent can obviously manage with children.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

"I love you, but I don't like you."
reply to post by LobeDethFaurt

Clearly 'love' and 'like' are not the same animal. I think in any lasting relationship both feelings ebb and flow. And sometimes we don't feel them both at the same time but when we do, well then it's the bestest!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Taffygirl

Although this is simply a poetic expression and I had no intentions on defending it's validity, I must disagree with your disagreement.

Love is unnecessary to the evolutionary process... One male could mate with several females in a pack and guard the pack like a lion. Even if a preditor got to some, the chance of it killing all your offspring is far less likely if you've had many with multiple women.

Not to mention, if the mom got eaten, your babies survival and your emotional status as a result would suffer... If you had many women, you could take your child, grunt and hand off to another animal.

Lion = king of the jungle...

Point set and match!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Click on the link and let me know what you think (on original thread)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Click on the link and let me know what you think (on original thread)
I just did. You mention lust in there, but lust is like a hungry ghost: a pinhole for a mouth and a giant belly, unable to ever be content and full.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

It is more important to me than the air I breathe Than the water I drink Than the food I eat

I've actually heard people say they can't breathe without that certain him or her they're in love with. It's usually at a time when their relationship is falling apart. One wants to break it off and the other is feeling desperate. Most of us have been on both ends at one time or another. But we do continue to breathe and life goes on. If we're smart we learned from the experience and we do learn to focus or direct our feelings of love towards a more appropriate partner. I do think people can talk themselves into or out of love.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheWolves

Well in my case, we are actually getting married soon... Been together a long time, both our stomachs are still filled with the fluttering of a thousand butterflies everytime our skin makes contact with one another! Just a poetic expression, I suppose they will be more appreciated once I'm dead...
lol

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

both our stomachs are still filled with the fluttering of a thousand butterflies everytime our skin makes contact with one another!

Don't worry, it will pass.

Seriously, congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Enjoy each phase and stage of it. It will change over time and there will be times when you will want to wring his neck! LOL It's all part of it and it's all worth it. My advice to newly weds is to choose your battles and don't sweat the small stuff. I don't know if I'm allowed to say this on here but I will say it anyway, keep your arguments clean and your sex dirty.
Best wishes to you!

new topics

top topics

join