It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
1 hour 2 min ago - Yemen
A Yemeni government official tells the Associated Press news agency that President Saleh has been moved to a hospital for treatment for wounds obtained in shelling attack on the presidential palace in capital Sanaa.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity as he is not authorised to comment to the press, did not say why Saleh was taken to the Defense Ministry hospital, AP reported.
Ali Abdullah Saleh, the Yemeni president, has reportedly been injured in an attack on the presidential palace in the capital, Sanaa.
Several were injured when opposition tribesmen's shells struck a mosque in the presidential palace compound where officials, including Saleh were praying on Friday, a government official told the Associated Press news agency. He spoke on condition of anonymity.
The official later said Saleh had been taken to the Defence Ministry hospital to be treated for his injuries, which he had previously described as "light", the AP reported.
Shortly after initial reports of the attack, Yemeni state television said, in an assurance to the public, that the president was "well". The country's deputy information minister told the Reuters news agency that Saleh would address the people shortly.
The extent of prime minister Ali Mohammed Mujawar's injuries were not immediately clear.
Abdul Mohd Iljindi, the deputy minister of information, told Al Jazeera that he spent a half hour with Saleh and that he is "ok", due to "talk to the people in a couple of hours". As of 7 pm local time, the president had yet to appear.
"Clearly the deteriorating situation in Yemen can be only addressed through a peaceful and orderly transfer of power and so we again call on President Saleh to move immediately to heed the calls of the Yemeni people," he added.
Yemen's state television says government's security forces have regained control of all public institutions previously held by al-Ahmar's fighters in capital Sanaa's Hasbah district.
The statement cites Abdul Mohd Il-Jindi, the deputy information minister, as the source.