It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friends Without Faces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I came across this poem and I think it rings true...

"FRIENDS WITHOUT FACES" We sit and we type and we stare at our screens, We can't help but wonder what all of this means. With mouse in hand ...we roam through this maze, On an infinite search...lost in a daze. We chat with each other, we type all our woes At times we'll band together to gang up on our foes. We wait for somebody, to type out our name We want recognition, but it is always the same. Soon friendships are formed - but - why we don't know, But some of these friendships, will flourish and grow. We give kisses and hugs, and sometimes we'll flirt, In IMs we chat deeply, and reveal why we hurt. Why is it on screen, we are so easily bold, Telling our secrets, that have never been told. The answer is simple, it is as clear as a bell, We all have our problems, and need someone to tell. We can't tell real people, but tell someone we must So we turn to our 'puters ...and to those we can trust. Even though it sounds crazy...the truth still remains, Most of my "friends" have no faces...and odd little names. Author unknown

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheWolves

I'm proud to say that all my friends have faces. All my Facebook friends are my actual friends. They are people I know and have had face-to-face conversations with.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

All my Facebook friends are my actual friends.
reply to post by scojak

You're a rare bird if you actually know all your Facebook friends.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I agree, the above poster is a very rare bird.

Also, I do agree with the OP as I feel the same way, I have many friends in real that I see everyday but I also have a lot of online friends with what I feel I can share almost anything
I've gone to the lengths of meeting some of them but I suppose that's off topic.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I don't know all of my facebook friends... I would say that I know 98% of them though. It helps knowing the people that you are talking to. It beats talking to random strangers. I used to be one of those people that would always go on the net and ask random strangers for help. Sometimes I still do, but, I've found that my friends and acquaintances irl are a lot more helpful.
edit on 3-6-2011 by Frankidealist35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

reply to post by David291

Well thank you and thank you. To be honest, I don't even really like Facebook, and I don't go on it much. I feel that it is almost better use to use it for impersonal relationships.

The way I see it, Facebook allows you to see everything that happens in the daily life of your friends, thereby making in-person interactions pointless, thereby making the relationships worse, or at least less fulfilled.

The majority of times that I actually do go Facebook are after I've talked to a friend who has told me about pictures or videos I should check out on it. I check them out and then rather than posting on their wall, I call them on the phone or meet up with them in person to talk.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I've gone to the lengths of meeting some of them but I suppose that's off topic.
reply to post by David291

I wouldn't consider that off topic. After all, they started as out "friends without faces".

Personally I can see value in both 3-D and online friends. Online we can explore ourselves in ways we may not feel comfortable doing in real life. And sometimes it's nice to have input from people we can reach out to online that may not have that emotional attachment which can make their opinions more objective. I think it's all in the balance.

new topics

top topics

join