It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Most Extreme Substances

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Graphene, a form of the element carbon that is just a single atom thick, had been identified as a theoretical possibility as early as 1947.

That date tickles me! Did they conclude it was possible because 'Graphene' was found at Roswell. That's 64 years of reverse engineering and counting

BTW, great OP

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Excellent thread, good solid research. I like the "top ten" format, it worked out nicely. However....

Scientists at CERN, the research facility that's home to the Large Hadron Collider, claim to have successfully created and stored antimatter in greater quantities and for longer times than ever before. Researchers created 38 atoms of antihydrogen – more than ever has been produced at one time – and were able to keep the atoms stable enough to last one tenth of a second before they annihilated themselves (antimatter and matter destroy each other the moment they come into contact). Since those first experiments, the researchers claimed to have held antiatoms for even longer, though they weren't specific of the duration.

[url=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372994,00.asp]Source Article

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wills120

not always easy to beat astroglide, cept X astroglide...sorry, had to throw that in... now off to design coffee cups
PS.
Star and Flag!!! I just love this kind of thing, and its really fun to show my professors as well... they think I'm mad...er, well.. no, just off a bit.

edit on 4-6-2011 by volafox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Awesome thread! What I find fascinating is that most of these things are just extensions of the human mind. We literally created or discovered, however you look at it, some of these things and now they are considered some of the most extreme things known to man.

I can' help but feel though that most of these substances are used or will be used for nefarious purposes. Sooner or later there will be less and less qualified individuals to properly deal with the responsibilities associated with these substances and it will end up just like everything else. We have countless ways to destroy the human race resting in the hands of a qualified few, who we hope gets up on the right side of bed every morning.

My optimism lies in the fact that everything has a positive and beneficial application to help propel the human race into the next stage of trying to out-do ourselves. The ceiling has been raised once again and like mother always said, "if you took all that energy you spend getting in trouble and did something positive with it, you might get somewhere."

~Glu

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Created by smashing gold atoms together at nearly the speed of light, it’s called a quark-gluon soup, and it reaches a balmy 4 trillion degrees Celsius, a mere 250,000 times hotter than the inside of the sun. The amount of energy released in the collision was sufficient to melt protons and neutrons, which in itself could be featured on a list of things you never even knew were possible.

Thats a good one. Lets burn gold.
And mass smaller than protons and neutrons could go a long way into the ether of
particles found to be excellent force and electrical transmitters.
What is lacking here is the loss of actual use of nature already found to be useful.
Paid voltage slingers at play but perhaps they are allowed only to know the less
exposed way to accomplish these experiments is my guess.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Great thread, just shows how much we have to discover in this world of our and so much more beyond it.

Love and Peace.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Great thread, I love interesting posts like this that educate and fascinate at the same time

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I like your idea for this article, it is very interesting, though I cannot help but to argue against some of these claims. I'm a nanoscience student at the University Of Guelph and I can't help to think that the information you received regarding "Nano-Diamonds" may be false. Also, the comment on "melting" sub-atomic particles is hard for me to perceive as heat is a measure of the kinetic energy of the atoms made up of the sub-atomic particles. Essentially the "melting" of a material can be visualized as a growing moshpit, in which a higher kinetic energy of the object makes it strike other objects (in this case atoms) such that the distances become greater between them due to the collisions. As the distance increases between atoms, the material will approach a phase change into a liquid. This is melting. By saying that the neutrons are melting your implying that the things that make up subatomic particles are behaving in the same way, though at this point those "things" which are called quarks, is still a massive topic of controversy and our understanding of the quantum nature of these quarks is still at an elementary level of comprehension. I'm not sure if your source was just using a term to simplify the process, as I would personally debate the idea of "melting" neutrons!

As far as "nano-diamonds" go, I'd just like to make a point that the structural integrity of a material is a function of its molecular bond strength, the higher the bond strength in a given dimension, the higher its structural strength in that dimension. Because diamond is a crystal lattice structure with a high bond strength, it is strong in all three dimensions and thus we said it was the "hardest substance", though it was recently discovered that the bond strength in graphite in two dimensions has a higher bond strength than the bonds found in a diamond crystal lattice structure. Therefore if we can roll that two dimensional object, know as graphene, in such a way that it becomes a three dimensional object, the resulting structure (called a CNT or carbon nanotube) will be a "harder" substance than diamond. This is the hardest substance know to date. I understand that your source may have used "nano-diamond" to associate new nano-materials with diamond, as the mainstream public knows that the diamond structure is the hardest, though as far as the science of it goes, this sounds like complete BS. Maybe my Synthesis Of Nano-materials professor is not up to date with the latest in nano-news, though I would highly doubt it.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
coke hehe

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Okay, Number 10: We use this to kill Vampires, right?

Second line

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Wow the stuff people come up with!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
And if they were useful for profit, cutting costs, they would be in our food and drink supply

As noted by another poster, chlorine triflouride, not very comforting that both chlorine and flouride are in our tap water supply.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
i cant wait to see some of these things utilized in every day things most of them look more for war though

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Now that is an awesome thread! Top of the class 4 u

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread
I like the super fluid entry although i am a little unsure how you go about cooling a gas down to a temp of a super fluid!

The closest i got to knowing how they cool gas is this discussion but doesn't explain a lot.

How does liquid Helium/Nitrogen cool?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
How is this for an extreme substance?
Breakthrough Material purifies water while creating energy

Thought it would be a nice addition to the other materials mentioned in the OP!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Wonderful post, wonderful article. I felt some confusion at first. The article said Helium II- and I at first thought they meant 2-He (Helium isotope with a nuclear structure of 2, consisting of 2 protons and no neutrons) which I thought was rare, and is in fact theoretical only. What they meant was a state of the matter Helium.

Also, since Botox is apparently the botulism toxin cut to the extreme, what if it's prepared improperly and is shipped at too strong a dose?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I enjoyed the read. S&F..

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Wow, that's frickin awesome. However... I would have liked to see 'psynergy crystal' somewhere. That always gives me hope.

Jokes aside-- awesome post. It became my first favorited post!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join