It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Most Extreme Substances

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

!!! I was not expecting this heading into this thread...such interesting data and so much of it! S+F for some truly educational stuff. You should send these to some textbook companies.
I wish I could give you more credit than the site allows but unfortunately I can't. Good stuff!!!

edit on 6/4/2011 by Conspiracy Now because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
Well there's my new goal in life - to own every one of those substances. I wonder what would happen if you mixed them all together?

Great thread!

*BOOM*^637384858626264858, *OBLIVION*^10000000000000000000, and finally que black hole.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
'___'

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Any of our fellow ATSers who have a degree in chemistry could make this at their university. The trick is to make it without anyone being suspicious.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

It also seeps right through otherwise solid materials because its complete lack of friction allows it to flow through otherwise invisible holes that would not allow regular helium (or water for that matter) to flow through.

I have heard about this type of super fluid previously and I was in awe of it, with many questions coming to mind.

The liquid is definitely one of the strangest things I have ever learned about. I first heard about this type of fluid through some one's hypothesis of how a UFO propulsion system might work. The fluid is displayed as an integral part of an 'anti-gravity engine'

It was hard for me to wrap my head around at first, but think I have a decent idea about it. The understanding I currently have of the properties attributed to the super fluid leave me asking a few questions. Hopefully you or some one here can help answer the question/ for me.

The super fluid has an incredible trait that allows it to pass almost completely, if not 100%, unimpeded through any solid object.

The first question that sprang into my mind was; 'How can a substance that can pass through any sold object, with virtually 0 friction, ever be contained without it seeping right through the container?

It must be certain that a material is available that makes storing this type of fluid a possibility. Otherwise we would never have a chance to know anything about it, since we would not be able to observe it for any length of time.

Another question I had about the super fluid is this; 'Would this type of super fluid pass directly through Earth, without resistance? What could ever stop it from being pulled by gravity to the center of the Earth - assuming that it does not evaporate or get absorbed by the Earth itself.

One of the strangest curiosities that came to mind is the question of what would happen if the human body came into direct contact with any amount of this super fluid?

If you had a bucket full of this super fluid - again assuming, if you had a bucket made of a material that could hold the fluid without any leakage, then you held your hand out in front of you, next you or a friend pours the bucket of fluid over your hand... Would your hand get 'wet' when it comes in contact or would the fluid pass directly through the molecules that make up your hand?

If you had the same bucket, but instead of pouring the fluid over your hand, you dip your hand into the bucket. Would you 'feel' the fluid? Would the fluid completely super-saturate your flesh, bone, and everything else that makes up your hand?

It seems that, since the fluid reacts with little to no friction when it encounters another material object, you would never know your hand is in the bucket of fluid.

If a large amount of the fluid is poured over your arm at the wrist, would it detach your hand from your arm. Since it doesn't move around the molecules of your arm, but through them with 0 friction, it seems a larger amount of the liquid poured steadily over your arm would dis-connect you hand on one side and your arm on the other.

As I type this I feel like I know less and less about the super fluid and what it's properties allow it to do. The understanding I have developed about the fluid makes me ask these questions. If I am way off base about this fluid and you understand where I am coming from when I ask some of these questions, please, answer them and help me learn about the fluid more.

It is very intriguing to me and I would like to know more about it's properties, but I am just not really sure where to search.

Thanks for the thread, very nice effort and should garner an applause from ATS.

edit on 4-6-2011 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
these are awesome. i hope we can find a good use for some of these

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

10. The Darkest Substance Known to Man

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/778b6e426251.jpg[/atsimg]

What do you get when you stack carbon nanotubes on their ends and sandwich them together? A material that absorbs 99.9% of the light that touches it. The microscopic surface of the material is rough and uneven, which breaks up the light and makes it a poor reflector. Then add to that carbon nanotubes act as superconductors in certain arrangements, which makes them excellent light absorbers, and you have a perfect storm of black. Scientists are really excited about the potential applications of the substance; since virtually no light is “wasted”, it would be used to improve optical tools like telescopes, and even be used to make nearly 100% efficient solar collectors.

Very cool post. S+F

This type of post is why I joined ATS. THIS IS ALTERNATIVE NEWS & INFORMATION.
---
This may be out there and way out of my league but why can't they get enough nanotubes to make a holding device to capture the light. If it was released while in space wouldn't the holding device travel with it at the speed of light?

edit on 4-6-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: This type of post is why I joined ATS. THIS IS ALTERNATIVE NEWS & INFORMATION

edit on 4-6-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
As an electrician, and thouroughly educated in magnetism, i am extremely interested in learning more about this, thank you OP, S%F

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Wow ... Great post OP. Very enlightening!

I wonder if #2 on your list (the most magnetic substance) can be used to create a ferrofluid!

SnF

-AS-

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
S & F
Great thread. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I love this thread and its so well done !! This is a wonderful collection but i wonder what people would do with these kind of substances it could be destructive in the wrong hands...peace ,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
W O W

S+F OP!
edit on 4-6-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Great thread OP!

I am curious what would happen if the strongest superacid reacts with the strongest superbase.
Universe would implode I presume.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

thats pretty cool, thanks!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Great thread S+F....
I recently watched a great show on TV regarding Nanotubes

Now all we need is to get these people together and produce something beneficial for the human race.........
I hope you don't mind I'm not holding my breath.....

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It has been brought to my attention that 'The Most Explosive Explosive', HMX and Heptanitrocubane are not the most explosive explosives by the member sbctinfantry.
His interpretation is that antimatter should be given the title for this, in which I agree completely except, there seems to be limited data on this substances use as an explosive.
At a quick glance this morning I could only find one Wiki Link that went into detail about how this would be achieved and it mainly says it would only be used as a trigger device for a larger nuclear weapon.
Wiki: Antimatter weapon

If anyone would like to debate this further please do.
I have limited knowledge as to the practical uses of antimatter as a weapon, due to the fact it is probably a super black project right now, if it does exist. But from a theoretical standpoint it makes sense and hopefully someone out there saw or read something I can't find.

Thanx. . . AB

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Here is an old one and comes in 6 parts: (Dry but informative)(You can link YouTube for the other 5 parts)

Wiki: Superfluid

Hope these help!
It looks like it has to be very cold @absolute zero for the superfluidity to occur so I think in normal, unconfined, uncontrolled environments it would be useless. (such as the arm/hand example you listed)
Funny though, that relates to one of the first things I thought of also. My idea was to intentionally suspend poison/medication into the liquid for covert topical use.

See also this great post: ATS Post
edit on 6/4/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
A thread like this should be taught in every public school and shown as a feature on all network newscasts. The world of science, seen close up and far away, opens the mind to even more possibility. I'm interested in the world's most powerful microscopes and telescopes - the range of data on the visual as well as theoretical limits.

If you only knew! The world's most powerful microscopes and telescopes and even those yet to be invented are not worthy to be compared to the one in you...inventions are of the mind...therefore that which is within you is greater than that which is without, which you see! What you see was not created by what can be seen. An invention cannot be greater than the inventor; and a creature cannot be greater than its creator: when you come to know who you truly are, then you will become amazed at how such great richness can be placed in such poverty.

Images are visible to man, but the light within them is hidden in the image!?!?!?

Think of this, Images are simply electrical signals sent to the brain, same as your nerves being electrical signal conductors of your five senses. So what is it you are seeing, what is the substance of that which you suppose you are inventing, where does the inspiration come from and where are all of these things confined in?

Peace be with you as you sought through it all!!!
edit on 4-6-2011 by Olise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Most excellent thread and content! S&F! In regards to HMX and heptonitrocubane, they still stand as the most explosive SUBSTANCE(at least in the "man-made" context), because it's superior(anti-matter) is not man-made(it does occur naturally, even on earth...though in very small, inconspicuous amounts). However, having said that, the reaction between anti-matter and matter is singley THE MOST VIOLENT reaction in the Universe. Just a couple atoms, followed by the ensuing chain reaction, will level a city. 100megatons will suffice to blow up our planet, literally. It's a good thing that we can't practically create this much anti-matter, and contain it, to build anything that would be that catastrophic. I would provide a link, but my PS3 is bloody useless for linking. I'm sure WikiPedia has something on it.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Well, the OP probably meant most powerful chemical explosive. If we include all explosives, then even nuclear bombs are more powerful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join