It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Most Extreme Substances

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
postìng now so i can come back later. Great thread, i didnt know that these substances even existed. And here i was getting exited aboup Aerogel...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think it is a quartz test tube?
maybe dimond?

Originally posted by AnteBellum
I have to throw out a question.

How do you contain fluoroantimonic acid?
Some say polyethelene bottles, others teflon but I am not satisfied with the source I heard this from.

Are there any experts that can answer this?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
when i heard about graphene about a month ago i had to find out how i can invest in it. its ticker is cvv and im happy i read the likes of gizmodo,sci american, pop sci; because it has been a good position. i tried finding out about commercial applications for the adnrs' but had no luck. also im very interested in the magnetic properties of the substance u mentioned. i think the coolest of the 10 would have to be the super fluid.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

postìng now so i can come back later. Great thread, i didnt know that these substances even existed. And here i was getting exited aboup Aerogel...

Please post more information on this!
I don't want to steal your fire. . .
I just saw some pictures and it looks incredible.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Absolutely fantastic,S+F,made my evening!

Especially liked:

It also seeps right through otherwise solid materials

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

1. The Most Super Superfluid

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e6e5e7b29cb9.jpg[/atsimg]

Superfluidity is a state of matter (like solid or gaseous) that occurs at extremely low temperatures, has high thermal conductivity (every ounce of it is always exactly the same temperature), and no viscosity. Helium 2 is the “most” example of this. A cup of He2 will spontaneously flow up and out of a container, as if it just decided to leave. It also seeps right through otherwise solid materials because its complete lack of friction allows it to flow through otherwise invisible holes that would not allow regular helium (or water for that matter) to flow through. He2 did not wind up at number 1 just because of its ability to act like it has a mind of its own, though, it is also the most efficient thermal conductor on earth; several hundred times that of copper. Heat moves so fast through Helium 2 that it moves in waves, like sound (and is fact known as “second sound”), rather than dispersion, where it simply transfers from one molecule to another. Incidentally, the forces governing He2’s ability to crawl walls is called “third sound”. You can’t get much more extreme than a substance that required the definitions of 2 new types of sound.

Pertaining to number 1 on your list

www.newscientist.com...

There is little chance of creating a soup of superfluid neutrons on Earth. Although particle colliders can create dense fireballs of matter, the temperatures are too high to mimic the interiors of neutron stars. Superfluids made in laboratories are usually composed of chilled helium atoms.

www.space.com...

On Earth, the appearance of superfluidity in materials occurs at extremely low temperatures, near absolute zero, about minus 273 degrees Celsius (minus 459.6 degrees Fahrenheit). But in neutron stars, it can take place at temperatures near 1 billion degrees F because interactions of particles occur via the strong nuclear force — the force that binds quarks together to make protons and neutrons, and protons and neutrons together to form atomic nuclei. Until now, there was a very large uncertainty in estimates of this critical temperature. But the new research pins it down to between 900 million and 1.8 billion degrees F (500 million to 1 billion degrees C), researchers said. "It turns out that Cas A may be a gift from the universe because we would have to catch a very young neutron star at just the right point in time," said Page’s co-author Madappa Prakash, from Ohio University. "Sometimes a little good fortune can go a long way in science

Very interesting List of Extreme Substances; although i suggest you should say diamonds are hardest state of naturally forming matter known to man.

We created harder forms of matter using nano-tech yes but thats cheating. So we shall label them as man-made states of matter.

Truly Fascinating.
edit on 3-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'll flag this thread just because I want one of the coffee cups in #4.

Seriously, though, good thread.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Got a typo:

the fluroantimonic acid is 2×10^19 times stronger than sulpuric acid. Not 21019 times.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Intereresting thread . Since people have started inserted
Botox into their wrinkles I have cringed. I would not take
the word of the scientist or TPTB that it would not have
an adverse effect later on.

And yea where can we get one of the coffee cups

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Very cool...kinda scary that some of these are man-made and they don't actually have any practical uses yet. Bi-products of past experiement. Great thread!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
A thread like this should be taught in every public school and shown as a feature on all network newscasts. The world of science, seen close up and far away, opens the mind to even more possibility. I'm interested in the world's most powerful microscopes and telescopes - the range of data on the visual as well as theoretical limits.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
when i heard about graphene about a month ago i had to find out how i can invest in it. its ticker is cvv and im happy i read the likes of gizmodo,sci american, pop sci; because it has been a good position. i tried finding out about commercial applications for the adnrs' but had no luck. also im very interested in the magnetic properties of the substance u mentioned. i think the coolest of the 10 would have to be the super fluid.

I love this thread S + F!

Thanks for the ticker Ausar - first thing I thought of too.

I was thinking of the Helium 2 also....wonder if it could be used as a "super" lubricant for the *ahem* adult industry. I know it says no viscosity but the heat transference properties could make it better than Astroglide!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Great thread. I am fascinated by things like these. Thank you so much for sharing. S & F for you!!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Can you imagine the Magic errrrr Illusions you could create with Magnets that strong?

Especially if you had an "energy director" aimed at people in the audience!!!!!

You could put a shill out there..Turn on the magnet from another source and location..

. AND RAISE HIM UP no wires!!! I see people fainting.

Oh that's religion..this is a parlor trick.

Same thing?

Where's Penn?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
What's up?
No doom and gloom?

Just a thread that was tremendously interesting, and well put together, is all you have to offer.

Come on, can't some of those substances incite WW3 or at some freakin disclosure?

Nice thread, SnF.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Awesome thread, I heard of Graphene a couple weeks ago, but these other substances are PHENOMINAL! Next to the fact that we discovered these organisims that can thrive off cyanide, these new substances will change the world and the textbooks, hopefully for the better if they are left in the right hands.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

A very good post. Very informative. Good collection of knowledge. Some of it I knew and some of it I am surprised to know.

S & F

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Holy carp!!! Those are some insane substances!! Good find friend!!!
2nd- How many of you are posting cuz its actually interesting or you like her picture?
3rd- We have the collective scientific knowledge to find/envision/create these wondrous things......but i still dont have a frigging jetpack or a hovering car!?!?!?!?!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Alexander Litvinenko died from radiation poisoning rather than cancer. Still, really interesting thread.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Well there's my new goal in life - to own every one of those substances. I wonder what would happen if you mixed them all together?

Great thread!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join