It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At stricken Japanese nuclear plant, water is the biggest worry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
With over 15 million gallons of contaminated water (and rising), I certainly hope that there are independent inspectors on hand to make sure that this upcoming water treatment plan is conducted and monitored to ensure that the water that is released into the ocean is as safe as possible.

TEPCO hasn't been very forthcoming with details concerning the Fukishima disaster, and while I don't envy the mess that they are trying to deal with, I would appreciate someone other than the company assuring the world that the water is indeed safe enough to be put back in the ocean.

washingtonpost.com

...A potential turning point comes roughly two weeks from now, when Tepco plans to begin a treatment process in which water is sucked from the basement rooms and fed into a special tank, then treated with chemicals that eliminate its radioactivity. The process creates a byproduct of radioactive sludge, which is generally mixed with bitumen, poured into drums, then sealed and buried. The water itself can either be cycled back into reactors or discarded into the ocean.

The treatment system is being set up by Areva, a French company that uses the technology at its La Hague nuclear reprocessing plant, off the Normandy coast. Since 1997, Greenpeace — after taking water samples from La Hague’s discharge pipe — has made repeated claims that the supposedly decontaminated water in fact contains radioactivity levels above the regulatory limit.

The process “is not 100 percent, but it’s better than nothing,” Lochbaum said. “The alternative: you let the water simply evaporate and radioactivity carries to all parts far and wide.”..

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Why is it such a mystery in the first place, the people should know

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystery107
Why is it such a mystery in the first place, the people should know

Share prices. TEPCO don't actually have a clue what they are doing, and they need to hide that from potential investors, if there are any left. The site wasn't exactly in good nick before the quake and tsunami, add to that the repeated, failed, attempts to get things under control again things look very bleak both environmentally and for the corporate wallet.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Strange looking Washington Post page....not that i am a debunker but i keep searching for credible sources that sheeple will accept...just dont like the look of that page.

I am even starting to doubt the claims of being worse than Chernobyl....please show me proof so i can back up my claims and put an end to people telling me i am a conspiracy theorist..
edit on 3-6-2011 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

Here's the normal page view of the same story taken from their website
Was hington Post

top topics

join