It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John edwards indicted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
John edwards indicted

RALEIGH, North Carolina – A federal grand jury has indicted two-time presidential candidate John Edwards over massive sums of money spent to keep his mistress in hiding during the peak of his 2008 campaign for the White House.

The case of USA v. Johnny Reid Edwards contains six counts, including conspiracy, four counts of illegal campaign contributions and one count of false statements. The indictment was returned in the Middle District of North Carolina Friday.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well, I do have this to say: why is he the only one being charged? If they're going after one politician, you might as well round up the whole lot of them.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

ap

The indictment said the payments were a scheme to protect Edwards' White House ambitions. "A centerpiece of Edwards' candidacy was his public image as a devoted family man," the indictment said.

"Edwards knew that public revelation of the affair and the pregnancy would destroy his candidacy by, among other things, undermining Edwards' presentation of himself as a family man and by forcing his campaign to divert personnel and resources away from other campaign activities to respond to criticism and media scrutiny regarding the affair and pregnancy," the indictment added.

what was interesting was cnn

CNN

Edwards had not wanted to plead guilty to a felony because he could lose his law license, a source familiar with the inquiry previously told CNN.

The case involves financial aid given to Hunter. During their affair, Hunter became pregnant with Edwards' baby, though at first he denied he was the father.

While prosecutors believe the monetary help given to Hunter by two of Edwards' political backers should have been considered campaign donations, Edwards' attorneys disagree.

livr show part they covered a good point...

the indictment was designed to embarrass.... it mentions more then just the charges...

It feels like the conservatives are pulling another star...

My question is this.... why is money being spent on this while the education system is dying

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
They ALL have blackmail against them, that's how they keep them in line, and that's why they are ALLOWED to run for office.

He was just not toeing the party line in some way, and so this is how they whack him. Think of Spitzer.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

agreed...

I do not know if this is the actual indictment but it was on yahoo and cnn as such

i2.cdn.turner.com...
edit on 3-6-2011 by ripcontrol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I don't know the whole story of course, but this statement in the OP's link bothered me.

But the centerpiece of the investigation has long been the hundreds of thousands of dollars privately provided by two wealthy Edwards supporters — his former campaign finance chairman Fred Baron and Rachel "Bunny" Mellon, the 100-year-old widow of banking heir Paul Mellon

Keyword here: PRIVATELY!

If this was not contributions to his campaign, how can he be brought up on charges for recieving money from someone on a "personal" level? We aren't allowed to borrow money from friends?

Maybe I am missing something here.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Sorry to say, but at least Elizabeth isn't around to have to go through this mess. I assume she would have been questioned as a simple matter of protocol. She had been through enough already. Imagine having to spend your last days in this hell. What a turd!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

your preaching to the choir...

What it makes me wonder is this...

What is the president hiding...after all democrats are known....

they just hit it on the head....

"Wasn't he about to be considered for O-man's VP..."

I hope he fights it and does run at this point...

Id vote for him just because he is not one of the idiots we have... two just to t off the ultra conservatives

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

its a political hit ...

it is nothing but...It would be funny to have ole bill advise him... if turns it around it would be priceless...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72

My curiosity is this....

I do not think he is a turd I think he is human...

It sounds like their relationship had problems and a lot of them...

I am still waiting for someone to prove that infidelity affects someones job performance negatively... because every person who deos claim this usually is just jealous and has their crimes in another area....

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol

I am still waiting for someone to prove that infidelity affects someones job performance negatively... because every person who deos claim this usually is just jealous and has their crimes in another area....

Well, how about just some speculation? Let's see, a politician is having an affair. He doesn't want his wife to find out about it. However, someone knows about the affair, yes? Besides that politician? Sure. And in John Edwards' situation, at least 4 other someones. The woman he was having the affair with, his campaign buddy who helped him cover up his deeds, and the two wealthy people who were sending him money to help pay for the infidelity, including the child that resulted from it. Hmmm...great scenario for a blackmail scheme. Like influencing the politician to legislate or make a policy contrary to what the people want, or else, his wife finds out about the affair. Surely you can see how this could happen?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

My curiosity is this....

I entirely agree.

My problem is that many politicians try to come off as if they are more than just human, that is perfect.

Many of these same politicians who run on the "I am holier than thou" ticket end up being brought to light as just (if not more) likely to participate in the behavior they campaign so vehemently against. I see this as taking the voting public for idiots.

I'm convinced that most people would welcome a "less than perfect" but honest person running for office... wouldn't "hell ya, I inhaled when I was in college!" or "yes, I had a moment of weakness and had an affair, but this is between me and my spouse" be refreshing!

As long as they are doing their job right, I mean, I don't care if the president of my bank has fetish parties, cross-dresses and does shots while taking vicodin if they keep my money safe.

the Billmeister

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

My curiosity is this....

I called him a turd cuz it was a shi!!y situation to put your wife through while she was struggling with a terminal illness. I said nothing about how i feel it effected his job performance. Though now that I think about it, I think it had to have impacted, imagine if he had been elected with this much fodder hidden from the public....shady deals in the worked for sure!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
edwards stole money from those people who donated for an "honest" politician.

what they got was a lying cheating adulterer.

he deserves to go down too many people just the democrats are angles.

and the truth is they are far from it.

and to think that loser could have been vp or worse president if something had happened to kerry.

i shutter to think.

but realistically even if he goes to"prison" it will be a boy club of blue collar theives but i dont think that will happen a slap on the wrist and he will go back to his mistress.

new topics

top topics

join