It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need side dish recepies (urgent)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Ok guys,
I'm hosting a big BBQ party next weekend for my daughters birthday.
I don't know how you bbq in the states, but over here we have all kinds of side dishes next to the meat and french bread (that's how europeans do it, lol) The side dishes are usually all kinds of salads.

Now with the whole bacteria thing going on in Europe, most of my guests won't eat veggies unless they are cooked. (I'm already clearing all things cucumber and tomato from the menu)
But I'm in desperate need for more recepies for bbq side dishes.... all ideas are welcome!

what I have so far:
-a simple cold patato salad (with union and herbs)
-a fruit salad with melon and peaches (mostly for the kids but adults always seem to like it as well)
-a mediteranian pasta salad ( with rucola, olives and feta cheese with a garlic/basil oil dressing... and pasta)
-a thousends islands salad ( cooked but cold veggies: flower cabbage, carrots and corn with the famouse 1000 islands dressing---> which is made with paprika, pickles, cream, rum and spices)

but I need at least two more dishes.... and I'm out of inspiration.
it must be something that most people will like

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Kit-Kats, Gay Bacon, Boston Cream [SNIP] what up!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 3-6-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

lol
grandma is gonna like that!!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Boil up a box of Rotelle noodles, cool, add shredded cheese, chunks of ham or pepperoni slices, olives and drench with Italian dressing: Pasta salad.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Hello GypsK,
I'm a chef in real life so i might be able to help you out

I personally think you have enough salads, don't do to much different ones, they might get trown away.

from some nice side dishes you could do some grilled tomatoes..

Recipe 8 pax.
8 Tomatoes(ripe, big, full of flavour) Tasty Toms are good ones.
Oil
Seasalt
Pepper
Grano padano, pecorino, parmazan or any old and salty cheese.
Basil
Garlic
Zeste of lemon(the peal of a lemon, only the yellow not the white)

Get a oven tray and spray it with oil.
Half the tomatoes, and put them on the tray.
CRUSH the garlic with the basil and a little olive oil.(crush the gralic do not chop)
Put the garlic and Basil on the tomatoes (be generous)
Dust with Salt and pepper (to taste)
Grate the cheese and put it on the tomatoes.
Finish of with the zeste of lemon.(not to much, very powerfull stuff!)

Put this in a pre heated oven @ 220 Celcius for 15 min (cheese needs to brown)
Serve.
Om nom nom nom.

OnlyLove.

ETA: you could do this on the bbq just roll them in tin foil with the top opened.

edit on 3/6/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/6/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Here is an easy to make dip that I made for memorial day and it was a hit.

It's spinach artichoke dip.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Here's some...hope this helps

cold cooked shrimp, sauce and crackers
salmon dip and crackers
cornbread
3bean salad
baked beans
potato wedges(thick sliced fries with skin, seasoned)
stuffed veggies...mushrooms, jalapeño, etc.
Don't have recipes for all, as some are easy prepared/bought...

Salmon Dip

Cornbread/box mix, add corn and a bit of honey

Three bean salad

edit on 3-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: links added

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Oven baked sweet potato fries. Easy to make, yummy and not too bad for health.
I also like to serve these with honey mustard for dipping.
Sweet potato fries

Grilled corn, a family favorite.

I was given a recipe last year called Asparagus & Dill. All you do is sauté the asparagus until it starts to soften a bit then add in sour cream and (lots of) dill. Very yummy!

And finally, I'll throw in a dessert, grilled bananas. Take the banana, unpeeled and slice it length wise on the inside curve. Then spread it open a bit and stuff it with mini marshmallows & chocolate chips. Place on the grill until the marshmallows and chocolate melt. Remove from the grill and grab a spoon! I was given that recipe from a professional BBQ team last year at a festival as a quick and easy grilled dessert. My family has decided that adding peanut butter pretty much makes it perfect.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I hope your BBQ goes off without a hitch. I think the scare at the moment should include a plan about how the event is to unfold in order to avoid cross contamination and reduce anxiety about food among your guests. Since contamination may come not only from food but also from people who carry the bug, even unknowingly, it is almost necessary to plan securely. For instance, if you wrap a napkin around each set of utensils, this will prevent many people touching utensils that might otherwise be laid out loosely, or placed together in a glass, etc for quick self service. Be absolutely sure to have serving spoons for each salad, and would your guests object to have hand sanitizers on a small table before they begin the buffet line? And still on the same topic, one hazard in such gatherings is the accidental picking up of someone else's glass. If you don't have something to distinguish one glass from another a cute distinct design on each glass might work, even if made from nail polish. (Easily removable)

My fav emergency salad is made from canned things.
- 1 lge can of chick peas, well drained and rinsed to remove excess salt
- 1 lge can diced tomatoes (garlic and onion kind)
- diced peaches (I use 1 or 2 small dessert packs)
- oil and vinegar dressing (olive oil and red wine vinegar is my fav)
Pepper and salt to taste and voila! Made in under two minutes and I never have any left overs.
edit on 3-6-2011 by aboutface because: spelling

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
wow thanks for all the recepies!
didn't expect so many

at this time no one wants tomatoes either since they been in the news as a possible source for the bacteria outbreak. so no cucumbers and no tomatoes.

I'm gonna read through them again and see what is do-able...
and all the others I'm sure gonna try out on a non-bbq day, they all sound so delicious!

thanks guys

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

Yes I know I have enough salads already, but I always like my guests to have plenty to choose from

It's custom here that at the end of the evening, the guests take home what they liked and the day after the bbq we always eat what is left. The food will be fresh all the time so it won't go bad.
In Belgium we don't just eat, we feast!! lol

thanks for that recepie, sounds yummy!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I would love to have your recipe for the thousends islands salad, that sounds so good!!!

Would you mind sharing?

Thanks OiO

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Get yourself some hamburger ground chuck again, some red beans or Kidney depending on your preference, white navy beans, and butter beans. Put it into a pot with some tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke if you have it chili powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic, onion (Fry both in a pan before frying the meat), you can add some hot sauce, I suggest Mad dog Hot sauce if you like it spicy, or you can skip that and add some peppers like some diced green bell peppers if you like. Take some bacon and dice it up and fry it until crisp in the pan do not take out the grease and fry your meat and veggies in that. Bam you got some greatness feel free to touch it up with some of your own ingredients but those are the basics, I use steak instead of hamburger it's all a matter of preference and price really. If you use a BBQ sauce I suggest KC Masterpiece easy to find and adds a good bit of sweetness to the beans don't use too much this is not a recipe for BBQ stew here.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

It's actually the 1000 islands dressing that is the original recepie... some use it as a dip sause. And we added the salad

for the dressing you cut a pickle and a small (or half) red paprika in very tinny pieces,
add natural youghurt to it (non sweaten) and the same amount of mayonaise (made with eggs, not lemon). Then a little ketchup (at taste and for the collor). Add salt, peper and paprika powder at taste. A little rum or cognac and your dressing is ready.

as veggies I usually use flower cabbage (boiled untill soft, cooled) and corn, sometimes carrots.... or whatever goes with it

just mix the dressing under the veggies and your done.

btw, the dressing is an excellent dip sause for raw veggies.... and delicious with dorito's, lol.
I tend to use two pickles for it, just for the taste....

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Atomic Buffalo turds are great

If you go down to the supermarket you'll tend to find only scotch bonnet, bird eye and generic unidentified chillies.

I've tended to use the large red generic chillis for ABT's and they make for good eating, how they'd compare to using jalapenos I don't know. The filling is just what I like to use, experiment ot your heart's content.

Ingredients

A number of whole chillies -depending on how many people you want to feed.
Some philadelphia cheese, full-fat, light it's your decision
Some mature cheddar or similar cheese, I like jarlsberg, emmental and edam as alternatives
Some smoked sausage, chorizo is good but equally Matteson's type smoked sausage is good.
Chipotle Tabasco
Some unsmoked streaky bacon - 1 rasher per chilli (unless you halve your chillis and make 2 ABT's from each)
A little all purpose rub

Method

Cut the top off each chilli and carefully scoop out the seeds and the stringy bits. Be careful not to break the chillis
Alternatively you can halve the chillis lengthways and make each ABT out of half a chilli
Stick your smoked sausage in a food processer and blitz it to a fine consistency.
Add your philly, grated cheese and a couple of drops of tabasco and blitz some more. This is your filling.
Spoon your filling into the chilli peppers, wrap each chilli pepper with a rasher of bacon and secure with a cocktail stick.
sprinkle the ABT's very lightly with rub
Stick the ABT's on your BBQ and cook until the bacon is nice and crispy, and the chillis are soft. I do these indirect, but you could grill them as long as you turned them regularly.
Remove from BBQ when done and serve immediately.

A nice spicy side or starter that take very little effort.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
reply to post by OnlyLove

Yes I know I have enough salads already, but I always like my guests to have plenty to choose from

It's custom here that at the end of the evening, the guests take home what they liked and the day after the bbq we always eat what is left. The food will be fresh all the time so it won't go bad.
In Belgium we don't just eat, we feast!! lol

thanks for that recepie, sounds yummy!

I'm your neighbour, I live in the netherlands. We know the rules
Dutch: leuk om hier de zuiderburen te zien

Don't be to afraid of the tomatoes, your heating them and killing the infection.
Hope you had a nice bbq.

Cheers,
OnlyLove

new topics

top topics

join