It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mississippi is carrying chemicals that could result in a large Gulf dead zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Farm runoff rattles states on Mississippi

As the surging waters of the Mississippi pass downstream, they leave behind flooded towns and inundated lives and carry forward a brew of farm chemicals and waste that this year — given record flooding — is expected to result in the largest dead zone ever in the Gulf of Mexico.

BP oil spill last year. Now man-made chemicals in the 3rd largest river in the world emptying into the Gulf this year. How much else can the Gulf of Mexico handle before it just gives up?

/TOA
edit on 3-6-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Not looking good for the gulf.
A toxic soup mix and i think worse things than farm chemicals will be in the river.
A gulf oil, hydro-carbons,corexit, and phosphate fertilizers, boom?

Is it possible that a stagnant, dead gulf will hold higher water temperatures?
would that result in a higher risk of bigger hurricanes/tornados?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
Not looking good for the gulf.
A toxic soup mix and i think worse things than farm chemicals will be in the river.
A gulf oil, hydro-carbons,corexit, and phosphate fertilizers, boom?

Is it possible that a stagnant, dead gulf will hold higher water temperatures?
would that result in a higher risk of bigger hurricanes/tornados?

That's an interesting question. Life generates its own heat and heats the surrounding area, albeit by a small amount. But large things are made of many smaller things, so all of that volume of "nothing" will be colder. There are other factors I can't bring in because I don't know what they are, but in a simplistic view of physics, it will not hold as much heat as it would when full of life.

/TOA

join