It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana: High School Senior faces 8 years in prison for harmless prank

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This is just stupid.

Anybody who thinks that this boy was trying to get people to think this was a bomb.... well I don't want to violate the T&C, but I will say that I question how you are able to use a computer with your apparent lack of a brain. How exactly was he trying to get people to think it was a bomb? He wasn't. Is it because he was carrying a "box"

If he had dragged a fully inflated blow-up doll into the bathroom, then you idiots would probably say "OH it was an explosive blow-up doll! They are called blow-up dolls for a reason! derp derp"

He put a blowup doll in a bathroom. That is his ONLY "crime" if you can even call it that. If you are out walking your dog, and some moron thinks "OMG this dude has a bomb implanted in his dog!" than is THEIR fault, not the person walking the dog.

This kid didn't do anything at all, people should be ashamed of themselves. The reaction to this incident, by the law, and by people here on ATS makes it perfectly clear to me why the country is in such bad shape. A bunch of cowards running around.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
This is just stupid.

Anybody who thinks that this boy was trying to get people to think this was a bomb.... well I don't want to violate the T&C, but I will say that I question how you are able to use a computer with your apparent lack of a brain. How exactly was he trying to get people to think it was a bomb? He wasn't. Is it because he was carrying a "box"

If he had dragged a fully inflated blow-up doll into the bathroom, then you idiots would probably say "OH it was an explosive blow-up doll! They are called blow-up dolls for a reason! derp derp"

He put a blowup doll in a bathroom. That is his ONLY "crime" if you can even call it that. If you are out walking your dog, and some moron thinks "OMG this dude has a bomb implanted in his dog!" than is THEIR fault, not the person walking the dog.

This kid didn't do anything at all, people should be ashamed of themselves. The reaction to this incident, by the law, and by people here on ATS makes it perfectly clear to me why the country is in such bad shape. A bunch of cowards running around.

Speaking of idiots...read exactly how he went about placing this item in the school locker room

school surveillance cameras captured a picture of a man dressed in a hooded sweatshirt and wearing latex gloves, concealing a package and leaving without it.

www.wthr.com...

then tell me if you saw this you would feel totally comfortable...in sending your child to school or yourself going in to this place of business without it first being thoroughly analyzed.

Yes the possible repercussions, afterwards, are over the top,,,but the over reaction was suitable at the time to a possible bomb threat...which they had no idea it wasn't a bomb. Masked man walks into school..places package in locker room....A) a school prank B) a bomber trying to make a point C) let's take chance and if it is a bomb then oops...a lot of kids were just killed...oh well

So tell me how are YOU able to operate a computer...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Did I say the guy was smart? No. It's not the most intelligent thing to go around wearing rubber gloves and obscuring your face.

The part I am arguing, is the people who say that he INTENDED to get people to think he was planting a bomb. There is NOTHING to indicate this. He put an INFLATED BLOW UP DOLL in the bathroom. He did not plant a box with wires coming out of it.

The whole point of a senior prank is to get away with it, meaning people don't know who you are, so obviously he is going to conceal his identity.

Go a. and insult my intelligence, but I'm not the one coming up with some baseless argument that he is trying to get people to think he was planting a bomb when he did absolutely nothing of the sort. He put a damn blowup doll in the girls bathroom, and didn't want to get caught. Nothing at all relating to a bomb, sorry.

If the school was really that paranoid about it, all they had to do was look in the damn bathroom and see the blowup doll.

There is absolutely nothing that indicates he was trying to look like he planted a bomb. Not one single thing. If people come up with the idea it was his intent to start a bomb scare, then I stand by my previous statement about their intelligence.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

Are you serious?? prison? I saw no concept of a bomb.
Do you even have a concept of what a month in prison is like, let alone a year?

He should suffer for our hyper-sensitivity and paranoia?? We are perpetuating our condition by including our children into our societal psychosis. This is high school these things happen all the time.

I say 2 weeks detention (and no reimbursement, that is their job (people get rescued all the time without payment, that is their societal job, this one didn't fruition-I'm sure everybody had a better day because of it...)...

almost seems like conditioning,, eh?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
the evidence was thus :

an unknown person - taking steps to conceal his identyity [ hood ] , and taking steps to deny forensice evidence to investigators [ latex goves ] , places a package of unknown composition in a school building .

now answer honestly - what would you do

I understand where you are coming from in the fact that this does provide reasonable suspicion. However, raising a reasonable suspicion with your activates is not a crime, and its not fair to attempt to treat it as such. After the facts were known, and it was found there was no crime, then the police should have gotten uninvolved and left the discipline up to the school.

The fact here is that the only reason this is being treated as a crime is because after their suspicion was discovered to be unfounded, both the school and the police feel they are out an amount of money.

Acting suspicious, being sneaky, wearing obscuring clothing, while maybe not wise, are also not crimes.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
He did not think how his actions could have harmed someone else; most youngsters do not!

Here is his rightful punishment:

He must have the blow-up doll with him at all times. He must hold her hand in public and treat her with the respect of a Lady. He will go to the prom with her and he will dine her in public. Where ever he goes the doll goes!

I would give about 6 months so he doesn't try to just hide in the house...with the Doll

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
$8000 of tax funding vs. how much to keep someone alive in prison for 10 years?

Woops, zero tolerance? Zero logic.

This is obviously just egoistical vindication.

Develop brains, 'heroes'. That's the only solution I see.
edit on 4-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
More police-state lunacy:

www.wthr.com...
A high school senior accused in a senior prank faced a judge Thursday.
The planned prank blew up in the face of 18-year-old Rushville High school Senior Tyell Morton, who is jailed and facing serious criminal charges.
"It's not right. It was a senior prank. They're blowing it out of proportion. I didn't hurt anybody, I didn't intend to embarrass anybody. What did I do wrong, you know?" Morton said Thursday.
Morton was arrested Tuesday after school surveillance cameras captured a picture of a man dressed in a hooded sweatshirt and wearing latex gloves, concealing a package and leaving without it. Believing it contained explosives, the school was evacuated and the Indiana State Police bomb squad was called in. It turns out that the package contained a blow-up doll placed in the girls' restroom. Police say that Morton admitted putting it there as a prank. ...
School officials say that the prank cost them over $8,000 and prosecutors don't see the humor.
"In this post-Columbine world, that's what you get when these kinds of things happen," said Rush County Prosecutor Phil Caviness.
Facing up to eight years in prison if convicted, Morton will also miss his high school graduation and isn't allowed on school property....
Morton, who has never been in trouble with the law is now wondering how a prank went wrong. His bond has been set at $30,000.

That's absurd. America is insane.

Palin for POTUS 2012!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

A year or so??? How many people have done the "Senior Prank"? This is ridiculous!

I dont think he should get off scot free, but A YEAR IN PRISON??!!?? you want him to come out a psychopath, cuz i guarantee a year in the pen at his age would mess that kid up for life

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof7
Which law did he break?

This should be the first question. At least this would be the first (and only) question in the more civilized parts of the world. And if he broke no law then why should he be held responsible for their stupid actions?

Good point....That is the main issue here. It would seem to me, that since a caption to a photo in the article from the link said that the image was captured before the school opened....He is at the very least guilty of breaking and entering.

It seems to me that everyone is overreacting...Both the Authorities as well as those acting as if the kid didn't do anything. The article was very vague about what it was that the kid was charged with.....exactly what crime has a maximum sentence of 8 years....If breaking and entering does, then perhaps that is all he is charged with (its unlikely for him to get an 8 years for a first offence...He'll likely just get a slap on the wrist). HOWEVER if they are trying to charge him with some 'causing a fake terrorism incident' law (I think there is such a thing....I seem to remember reading about it) Then that would be totally bogus...it seems obvious what he did, was only a school prank...If they misinterpreted what they saw on the security cams then it seems to be there own fault in my opinion. As it is, I don't think there is enough evidence (at least from the article) to conclude exactly what is going on yet. After all, if he is just being charged with breaking and entering......well who would disagree with that? That is what he did....no matter whether his intention was a prank or an act of terrorism.....I'll have to wait and see how this pans out before I make a judgement call on how the authorities are handling this.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
how did it cost the school $8000?

I call BS

A better punishment, make him do janitorial work in the school for 80 hours, including toilets. If anything just repay that $8000 back. anything more than this is overkill. man our government looking and looking for ways to over punish.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Originally posted by prof7

Good point....That is the main issue here. It would seem to me, that since a caption to a photo in the article from the link said that the image was captured before the school opened....He is at the very least guilty of breaking and entering.

That seems a bit speculative on your part - I remember sometimes going to school very early and staying late; were the doors locked? security often unlock doors well before the official opening..
The article does not mention how he gained entry.

I think even trying to pin a B&E on him for this, is a bit of a stretch.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I don't understand.

You can go to prison for 8 years if someone even thinks you're planting a bomb? So if I accuse someone of acting suspicious and leaving a box somewhere, they can face huge fines and possibly even time in prison?

Wow.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
How the hell can some of you think he should be locked up? It was a damn prank! So what if he had on latex gloves and his face hidden. In high school we wore the same thing when spraying foam all over. Wanted to hide our face and fingerprints. Made sense to us back then as teenagers, how can it not make sense to some of you now?

The fact it was in a package isn't suspicious. A package has been one of the most common ways to mail/deliver things for decades. He bought a blow up doll and delivered it in a package to the girls locker room. That's actually pretty tame by some senior prank standards. He didn't break into the school. He didn't vandalize. He didn't cause harm. It was a joke the school and law enforcement over reacted to, and now they don't want to look stupid.

It seems now with security cameres everwhere almost anything can look suspicious. If he did this 15 years ago there wouldn't be much of a problem. Just because many people associate bombs with packages, you want to villify this kid for delivering a blow up doll in a package?

I also think some of you are completely ingorant to what happens in prison. This is an 18 year old senior, with no previous record, and looks like a pretty skinny guy. He'd get rape repeatedly, and I'm not bringing that up in a funny manor at all. You think that's the price he should pay? That's what happens to small, young adults who go in. Fix the damn prison system before locking away teens for high school pranks!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustBreathe11
reply to post by PS3Geek

Read my signature dude. This country is full of people like you who make life so much harder for people like in the OP. Because of people who think like you, the government is slowly taking all of our rights away.

Plus remember a 100 years ago when you were a high school senior
trying to impress the ladies? You did some stupid stuff too I bet.

Absolutely.

I went to high school in the mid-90s. Some of the stuff we (I) pulled even then, we'd be looking at some serious charges and time, and it was all fun and games. It amazes me how things have changed, even more than the stories i heard my dad tell.

They crack down so much, and the zero tolerance is so absurd, that people get their lives ruined just for being kids, teens, even if there are some--as there have always been--who "ruin" it for everyone else.

It's not the people, it's the "laws" the "rules" and the tolerance, forcing everyone to conform to the same standards, to become obedient automatons.

Slowly taking away individuality....

Sickening...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Text Bluereply to post by gimme_some_truth

I completely agree. The guy knew the way of his actions would prompt a 911 call about a bomb. This guy is completely off his rocker if he thinks the way he preformed his act was anything less than illegal. 8 years is a long time...Perhaps a year or two, or maybe make him work for the school as a janitor for 3 years. It's not what he had in mind, it's the way he carried it out. What did he expect? His name in the paper? Oh well, at least he got that.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
8 years in prison for a prank? no. and for the dude saying 1 year should be good? dude, have you ever been to jail? a year locked takes your life back to step 1.

now seriously lets go through the situation, a kid wants to pull a senior prank, something that has been tradition for generations. first of all, don't even try to tell me that the staff don't fully expect pranks to happen. the first thing that should've gone through their mind is, oh jeeze is this a prank? not omg its a bomb.

secondly, he was wearing a hoody and latex gloves. take a second to step into the mind of an 18 year old about to pull a prank. what is going through his mind? "i don't want to get caught" so he covers his face and tries to make himself inconspicuous. a hoody is not some kind of bomber's only clothing, every one wheres hoodies. also, "i don't want to leave fingerprints what if they check for that?" thus the gloves.

i don't presume to know his intentions by reading a story on the internet(although apparently thats all too possible for some of you), but i'd be willing to bet he was just trying to pull his prank without getting caught. thats usually the goal.

i don't care if its a 'post 9/11 world' or 'post columbine world' that doesn't excuse rampant paranoia.

And, it's not the kids fault that it costs $8000 to walk into a bathroom and see whats in there. he did nothing to warrant paying that off. If the public is pissed about wasted taxpayer money they should take it up with the people spending it.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I could see them charging him for any crimes he committed, but I agree this is blown out of proportion. I would say charge him with breaking and entering, or similar, seeing as that is the only crime he committed. They shouldn't want to punish someone because they THOUGHT he was planting a bomb, as that wasn't his fault. I say that he's guilty, but it definitely isn't as bad as the prosecutor is making it sound.

And I am sure he knew there were security cameras, since he wore a mask...but did they have someone watching that caught him on the spot? I doubt he thought that would happen. And if they didn't catch him at the school, how did they find out it was him? I will read the article again since I am not sure, but I do not recall it mentioning that.

Either way, the kid WAS wrong in his actions. And why throw away a good...oh nevermind.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
More police-state lunacy:

www.wthr.com...
A high school senior accused in a senior prank faced a judge Thursday.
The planned prank blew up in the face of 18-year-old Rushville High school Senior Tyell Morton, who is jailed and facing serious criminal charges.
"It's not right. It was a senior prank. They're blowing it out of proportion. I didn't hurt anybody, I didn't intend to embarrass anybody. What did I do wrong, you know?" Morton said Thursday.
Morton was arrested Tuesday after school surveillance cameras captured a picture of a man dressed in a hooded sweatshirt and wearing latex gloves, concealing a package and leaving without it. Believing it contained explosives, the school was evacuated and the Indiana State Police bomb squad was called in. It turns out that the package contained a blow-up doll placed in the girls' restroom. Police say that Morton admitted putting it there as a prank. ...
School officials say that the prank cost them over $8,000 and prosecutors don't see the humor.
"In this post-Columbine world, that's what you get when these kinds of things happen," said Rush County Prosecutor Phil Caviness.
Facing up to eight years in prison if convicted, Morton will also miss his high school graduation and isn't allowed on school property....
Morton, who has never been in trouble with the law is now wondering how a prank went wrong. His bond has been set at $30,000.

Maximum penalties, are just the maximum, so he may just get slapped with a fine and/or community service. I don't think this warrants any jail time at all.

If he had left something dangerous, then I would understand. But he left a blow up doll. And in the mind of a teenager, that's a hilarious prank, not a terrorist threat. People need to chillax.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
He committed no crime here, which is why they charged him with felony criminal mischief, sort of a catch all charge for vandalism:

Criminal mischief involves knowingly damaging the property of another or the joint property of the accused person and the alleged victim. Criminal mischief resulting in damage of less than $100 is a Class 3 misdemeanor, damage of $100 but less than $500 is a Class 2 misdemeanor, damage of $500 but less than $15,000 is a Class 4 felony, and damage of $15,000 or more is a Class 3 felony.
The most obvious example of criminal mischief is random vandalism. Charges of criminal mischief often arise in so-called domestic violence situations, where one is alleged to have damaged a seemingly insignificant household item, such as a coffee maker.

They are using the supposed fact that this cost someone $8K to ratchet the charges up to a felony. This is nothing more then the local DA trying to make a name for himself by unfairly using this kid as an example.

Edit to add:
Those saying this is a crime better be careful of the slippery slope they are on. If its now permissible to charge someone with a felony, simply for acting suspicious, then what’s to stop anyone from calling the police on anyone else they have a grudge against to claim suspicious behavior simply to get them arrested?

BTW..According to the above definition, would anyone logically say that he "Knowingly Damaged" anyones property? Again this comes back to a lack of intent.
edit on 6/4/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join