It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Albuquerque, NM Entire city covered in thick smoke now.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The Arizona Wallow fire is now 60,000 acres burned. Albuquerque NM is 180 miles away and the entire city is covered in smoke. Ash is falling in some places in the city. It has been like this all day long, and now it’s much worse at 10:30 pm. I can no longer see downtown Albuquerque and I am 3 miles away. Let alone see anything a ½ mile away. You see cars on the street with their headlights on and the smoke swirling around the cars. It’s like a very thick fog, but with the burning smell of 60,000 acres of trees. You would think a volcano erupted.

The wild fires are everywhere now in the southwest. Very little rain combined with high winds. Another national disaster in the making, The wild fires are getting bigger and more frequent than ever. Strange to see no MSM reporting all the fires and now an entire city covered in thick smoke. MSNBC has a small story though.

I’m wearing a 3M mask now ,the good type, that should tell you how bad it is outside. Your eyes will start to have a burning sensation along with a burning throat after about 20 minutes outside. My dogs were coughing when I took them out to do their business. With the smell of burning trees so strong you would think the fire is down the road, but its 180 miles away.

Air Tankers have been flying around the clock out of Abq-International airport. A friend told me that the tankers are flying to parts of Arizona and all over the state of New Mexico, They might have to bring in the big 747 air tankers soon.

The video was taken about 6:30 Pm . It's much worse now.

Albuquerque Covered in thick smoke

Wallow fire now at 60,000 Acres ,Evacuation.

Forest officials. I-40 could close if the head of the fire comes within half a mile of the highway.

Southern Arizona Wildfire Soon to be 4th Largest Ever in State

New Mexico, 26 wild fires in 4 days.

edit on 3-6-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Good thread, i was gonna start one looking for some more info on what the hell was going on today, but it looks like you got it covered. I am currently on a road trip and my travels unfortunately took me through Albuquerque tonight. We drove into the smoke while we were still at least an hour away (at 75mph) from the city, and after heading north toward Sante Fe the smoke was everywhere for at least another hour. Smoke has to be covering a couple hundred square miles I figure. And as I was driving in, the fire chief was on the radio saying they didn't even know where it was coming from. I'm not quite sure how they didn't know, considering the enormity of the situation.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It's 2:30 am and it looks like it's snowing in Bernalillo, but it's ash. The smoke is so thick I can barely see across the parking lot where I'm working, and even in the building there is a nice thick haze.

This is insane. I've lived here for 12 years and I've seen a lot of wild fires, but never anything like this, and the fire's hundreds of miles away!

I'm a smoker so it's not really bothering me too much yet, but everyone around me is having trouble breathing. Hopefully this clears up soon....

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
sorry

edit on 3-6-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I do hope everything is okay for you and yours. The summer has just begun and fires already this bad across your part of the country, amazing. This is going to be a horrible year in regards to nature. Already has been and we are not even 50% done.

There have been forest fires all across my county and locally around parts of Northeast Florida, but my county is hit worst. Parts of I-95 are shut down due to the fires. It has been very dry this year with minimal rainfall. The meteorologists said unless we get rain in the coming days these fires will get out of controlling when you factor in heat above 95, rather strong winds (for this time of year anyway), and absolutely no rain is forecasted for the next 14 days. None of the fires however have been nearly as large as the ones you are having in the Southwest.

2011 Summer Forecast

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Excellent Thread... thank you for bringing this to light... feel bad for all those residents.

god willing it wont be blammed on arson and give NM reason to take more personal freedoms away.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Fire and drought in the SW, devastating storms in the mid-section, blizzards up north this past winter, flooding all along the Mississippi. It's a bad year for us all. I wish you well.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It's Friday morning in Bernilillo, NM....and I can still smell the smoke. Not as bad as last night, but it's still in the air. I have asthma problems and we are are in an RV....and a LoooOoOOng way from home. Not fun. We are supposed to get some rain soon? I hope.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
That dang fire is causing Red flag warnings (air quality) here in Colorado too.... Just FYI ...our state is barley in fire season and the budget for fires is already gone, so off to rob our schools budget to pay for fire fighting.... you would think after many years of bad wildfires they would budget more.... naw thats too easy.....

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
There's still tiny bits of ash falling, but it seems to be clearing up. From where I am in Rio Rancho you can still see a lot of smoke over most of Albuquerque and I can just make out the outline of the Sandias, but it's much better than it was last night.

Last I heard on KKOB, winds are expected to move in (no surprise there) and clear most of it up by late this afternoon.
edit on 6/3/2011 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I would just like to say that I have been giving the threat of wild fires a lot of consideration for the past few years and have been slowly clearing trees and dead wood from around my place. After hearing the eye witness reports here, I see I have a lot more to do. Thanks for the reports and keep safe.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
That is just the local junkies who rolled a big fatty.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
Fire and drought in the SW, devastating storms in the mid-section, blizzards up north this past winter, flooding all along the Mississippi. It's a bad year for us all. I wish you well.

/TOA

And hurricane season just started for us in Florida and along the other coasts.

If the hurricanes are anything like the record setting droughts, floods, fires, tornadoes, earthquakes, and temperature extremes this year, then we are in BIG trouble!

It seems everything "natural" this year is amplified. I'm sure Hurricanes will follow suit. The waters in Pensacola and Mobile are already 85 and 86 degrees!! Prime hurricane fuel!!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdmireTheDistance
It's 2:30 am and it looks like it's snowing in Bernalillo, but it's ash. The smoke is so thick I can barely see across the parking lot where I'm working, and even in the building there is a nice thick haze.

This is insane. I've lived here for 12 years and I've seen a lot of wild fires, but never anything like this, and the fire's hundreds of miles away!

I'm a smoker so it's not really bothering me too much yet, but everyone around me is having trouble breathing. Hopefully this clears up soon....

You're in Bernalillo? I am a stone's throw from you. I couldn't even see the mountain yesterday. It rolled in while I was inside taking a nap, and I looked outside and I thought I was gonna have to post a thread about entering an alternate universe. It was something right out of a movie.

The smell reminded me of camping in NY where I grew up.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yesterday, my city was also engulfed in the smoke. (Colorado Springs) It was forcasted to stick around for a while due to weather patterns not changing any time soon.. I'm not seeing nearly as much haze today as yesterday, however.

www.kktv.com...

I guess the fires are 50% contained.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
We had a HUGE fire in San Antonio once that blanketed the whole city, just like ya'll we had to have lights on in the houses and the cars for weeks, no matter what time it was. I wasnt smart enough at the time to wear a respirator and ended up with a horrible case of bronchitis. Be careful and be safe and make sure kids and older folks have plenty of circulation.

@getready - Yup I agree, in fact I'm so sure this hurricane season is gonna be bad I even setup somewhere in GA to stay in case we have to bail out of town. Unless where just gonna party it out, in which case I'll be at your place.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrodude

Unless where just gonna party it out, in which case I'll be at your place.

That is my plan!!

During any decent tropical storm, my deck becomes an island!! We can fish right from the back door and watch our neighbors stuff float by!

With a couple days notice, we can have plenty of propane, beer, ice, and sausages!! No place like home!!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I live in the foothills here in ABQ and yes last night wasn't pleasant!

It was like being in a foul smelling, eye irritating fog bank.
But today is much better.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Looks like a lot of us ATSer's are from the Albuquerque area. I'm in Rio Rancho and it was quite awful last night, I couldn't see any city lights in the valley from my backyard deck. It does seem much better today, only a slight fire smell. Haven't checked on the fire's progress lately though. (I don't usually watch television) The winds are especially harsh this year. I hope when the winds pick up it does clear the smoke rather than blow in more. Mother nature is definitely cleaning house this year!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Well I take back my original statement.. I guess the wind shifted because I can barely even see Pikes Peak, and I can smell the smoke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join