It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Better World Without Men?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Men are incarcerated at the rate of 1,309 inmates per 100,000 U.S. men, womens incarceration rate is 113 per 100,000 women residents, and about 14% of all violent crime. I don't see how this translates to women being more physically violent than men. I know that there are women who are bad apples that have done terrible violent things to people, I'm just not buying that they do it at a rate close to that of men.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I AM a woman for heavens sake and I see first hand how they treat men and other women. I am nothing like that and if you don't like it too bad. As for my exes well I don't give out personal information but yes they have all come crawling back, believe me or not that is your choice I know what happened. Also I never said I was perfect I just know how to act like a lady and treat a man and others.

so you say...I see it differently... sure sure.they all come crawling back..lol@ that BS

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Just rejoined the thread, and it still sticks to essentialist, biological determined stereotypes about the male gender.

Yes men do have a higher rate of violence, and violent crime.
(Although I've seen no attempt to break this down along race, class and sexuality lines - neither for men or women.)

I would continue to question the inherent nature of male crime.
I would continue to question the current roles of masculinity, and how both men and women are implicit in creating the image of the "strong", violent male.

I'd also argue that the masculine role is socially constructed, and has nothing to with testosterone and genitalia.
Women who enter the masculine role over feminine women face the same issues of domestic abuse and violence.

Hence, removing one gender will not remove the masculine role and its problems.

This discourse merely reinforces the problem, without examining the social causes.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Anger, greed and lust are the motivators for violent crime, and it has been that way certainly in our recorded history. Someone offends the ego - you strike out at them. Someone has something you want - you do whatever it takes to get it for yourself. You want someone - abuse them if you can get away with it. In the US at least our crime rates are surging from a combination of poor breeding, bad upbringing and violent influences all around us in the media... as well as purposeful machinations by the government allowing drugs to flourish, even while being behind it. People are not being raised in a way that teaches them to control their anger, so they revert to a more primal, uncivilised state as it's encoded into their animal nature when they get offended/upset/afraid. We do not have good role models anymore, at home or even on the tv. We've lost faith in ourselves, we scoff at everything and hold nothing sacred anymore. Desperate, hollow people we have become and self-control is at an all time low nearing non-existant.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Orion75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well, now that the male gender has been re-established as inherently prone to violence, they can justify shipping us off to the next war for Queen/King and country.
Heck, when they return they will be all disturbed and pass the violence on to another generation.
And so the game continues...
Thanks Moms and Dads.

Thanks for the gendered emotional blackmail to make young men violent (sarcasm).

edit on 4-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Perhaps the best solution for a war-mongering society would be a Spartan, or "Shaka Zulu" lifestyle.
Men engage in celibacy or homosexuality until they marry a woman at 30.
Even after that the sex is ritualized for procreation, and men spend most of their time in the homosocial barracks.
(Which means that women do pretty much the same.)
Presto: problem solved.
Men can be violent warriors without gender violence, because the opportunity just doesn't exist.
Pretty extreme, but isn't that already happening with large male prison populations?
The only problem is the children, who will have to be socialized into this system from a young age.
- A theory only -
It would allow the sexes to co-exist without the daily pathology of one gender over another.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
A world without man would be very boring because man has invented everything that you use today, give me 1 example of something a woman has invented.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Well, now that the male gender has been re-established as inherently prone to violence, they can justify shipping us off to the next war for Queen/King and country.
Heck, when they return they will be all disturbed and pass the violence on to another generation.
And so the game continues...
Thanks Moms and Dads.

Thanks for the gendered emotional blackmail to make young men violent (sarcasm).

I agree with you on that, but there is a whole can of worms wrapped up in it though. If you don't raise your sons to be tough, they will claim society failed them and that's why they didn't succeed. If you raise them to be tough, they will say society failed them and that's why they get into trouble. My personal choice is for society to focus on "confidence, compassion and competence" when it comes to all of it's citizens, but there will be those who feel cheated if we don't toughen them up enough, or maybe did it a bit too much for their liking.

We've become so cerebral with loads of time to sit and fume over things others did to us, we don't take enough responsibility for ourselves. At the end of the day, if a man or woman chooses to wallow in violent images and thoughts then becomes that type of person, they did so because they enjoyed the rush they got from it. If a person feels weak and unchallenged by life, maybe because mom didn't let them play football or dad didn't try very hard, what stopped them from going out and grabbing life when they were out on their own? We choose not to challenge ourselves, and we have grown soft on the outside but bitter and hard on the inside. I've been raised in the same horrible generation as everyone else, I chose to fight my way out of the programming and try to be a better person. These are our choices - wallow, give in to apathy or become self-made better people.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
A world without man would be very boring because man has invented everything that you use today, give me 1 example of something a woman has invented.

Dr. Grace Hopper was rather useful in helping us get to the point where we could sit here on the computer and degrade the sexes.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Ever heard of Marie Curie and the term she coined "radioactivity"?
en.wikipedia.org...
It's a bit unfair to ask that, since women were socialized from a young age to be marriage material, and they were banned from universities and academic professions.
Just read some history (or herstory).
Their aspirations were limited by patriarchy from a young age. In the upper-class households' libraries women were banned from reading certain books.

Even at the university I studied at women were only admitted after WW II, and then they couldn't use the library, but had to wait for requested books at the desk.
I think they admitted 5 women, and they had no toilets on campus.

Maths and science were first thought to be an impossibility for the female mind.
Even Curie's talents were dependent on her husband's mediation.

Historically, female authors had to write under male pseudonyms (George Eliot), and in some cases women even cross-dressed to become doctors (such as was allegedly the case of Dr. James Barry).

Finally a study was allowed for females - a moralistic spin on the study of the Classics: Literature studies.
That was around 1900 only.
The aim was to educate young women with "moral" literature.
Later it was for men to meet potential partners on campus, especially when they returned as single men from lengthy wars.

Ironically such studies helped to question gender constructs, and paved the way for women in the sciences.

However, it took WW II and the periodic absence of men to really cause social change.

So, the lack of female invention was a discourse that proved female inferiority, and created its own outcome.

The same is true of the discourse around male violence today.

The gendered stereotypes produce their own outcomes until we challenge them.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

maybe if you had been more aggressive you would have been able to learn before WWII and then had more inventions under your belt?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
How about Sister Elizabeth Kenny (Sister, which in the Australian Army Nurse Corps is the equivalent of a First Lieutenant)

Finally, on her own, she began treatment of a patient in the acute stage in her George St. Clinic in Brisbane, and then transferred her to the Ward 7 Polio clinic in the Brisbane General Hospital. That child, and then others, recovered with far fewer after-effects than those placed in braces. In 1937 she published a basic book about her work and began another, The Treatment of Infantile Paralysis in The Acute Stage, which was later published in America.

Her principles of muscle rehabilitation became the foundation of physical therapy, (in some countries called physiotherapy).

In 1927 she patented the 'Sylvia' ambulance stretcher designed to reduce shock in the transport of injured patients.

Upon her leave in the United States, Kenny faced many sceptical doctors. She needed to get the American Medical Association's support for her method. The AMA director at that time saw her as an "ignorant quack seeking money for her own gain". Many doctors found their initial professional scepticism was groundless when they saw the dramatic effects that Kenny's method had on her patients, both children and adults.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion75

Great post!
At least that recognizes the problem, and the limited position of the individual to challenge established roles.
Better just to reiterate the masculine role forced onto biological males, and then to discipline and punish them for it when it's used in inappropriate situations.

Yeah, they must learn to switch off the encouraged aggression when they leave the football field or the battle-field.
I mean its just something one can turn on and off (sarcasm).

I don't think parents alone can control this, there's an entire cultural matrix involved.

Some gender activists do want to challenge it, but there's a backlash, even from conservative women.
The notion is that male aggression secures the society from attack.
Male pacifism is hardly encouraged.

Although the real military is more geared towards professionalism for the moment, pacifying male roles in general is still met with anxiety just in case they are required.
There are also connections between the prisons and the military-industrial complex.
It is no accident.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint

maybe if you had been more aggressive you would have been able to learn before WWII and then had more inventions under your belt?

Huh?
Could you explain that a bit more, because I have no idea of what you are trying to say.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Originally posted by Doublemint

Huh?
Could you explain that a bit more, because I have no idea of what you are trying to say.

If you had more Aggressively pursued education you would have more inventions

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

Me personally?
My race/gender or sexuality?
I'm a man, and I wasn't alive before WWII, and I've pursued the humanities in study, not the "hard sciences".
There are millions of female advances in the sciences nowadays, and it's impossible to list them all.
I can only speak of what I know, and that is broad cultural streams.

As a gay male I can say my type has contributed to everything: from Michelangelo, Alan Turing, Wittgenstein and Foucault.

Today in SA discrimination is reversed at universities.
At schools the top performers are whites and Indian females.
Yet, to get into UCT's (University of Cape Town) medical school you need a school leaving certificate of 60-70% as a black, 70-80% as a colored, and over 90% as a white male (most of whom are still rejected).
So sadly, by over-compensating for the past some of the most talented people don't bother any more.
The problem arises when current standards are dropped to include certain groups who never had Western sciences in their culture.
However, women were always in our Western culture, and if one reads more on women's history their contributions were vital.
Very few people would argue nowadays that Western women have inferior minds.
Even blacks probably do not, and it's an insult to really top black students to push through people with lower grades based on their race.
However, that's how the cookie crumbles.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Majority of the brightest minds, even now are men, yes you get woman ofcourse but the majority are men, majority of scientists are men, the majority of most intelligent humans on earth are men, i allways see more male doctors, i never see any female brain surgeons, i rarely see any woman working in the field of physics, yes they do exist but not as much as men...

just look at this page:
public.web.cern.ch...

16 men
2 woman

lets look at some more....

Who invented the most popular used software?
a man

Who inveted the first television?
a man

Who invented the first combustion engine?
a man

Lightbulbs
a man

i could go on but i will not be sexist....

woman have invented stuff also:

windshield wipers
disposable diapers
mars rover
first computer language

but it pales in comparison.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

no it wasn't about you but the information you were presenting. in an agruement or debate personal info doesn't really intrest me.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

Well the info I presented is the truth.
It could perhaps have been done better with more references to science journals and so forth (which is not my area).
Well, if you have a particular disagreement that's fine and we can discuss it.
However, I actually wanted to discuss gender roles and masculinity, and not dated attacks on women.
But I suppose I see your point: sauce for the gander, and sauce for the goose.
We can all stereotype!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I AM a woman for heavens sake and I see first hand how they treat men and other women. I am nothing like that and if you don't like it too bad. As for my exes well I don't give out personal information but yes they have all come crawling back, believe me or not that is your choice I know what happened. Also I never said I was perfect I just know how to act like a lady and treat a man and others.

so you say...I see it differently... sure sure.they all come crawling back..lol@ that BS

You don't know me so you are making judgement on someone you know nothing about and you are doing EXACTLY what women do so you are proving my point.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join