It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas town furlough their ENTIRE police force

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I know quite a bit about small towns in Texas, and I can say that going out in a field, pasture, or woods and shooting at targets, trees, posts, dirt, the occasional coyote that tries to eat your chickens, and random insects that happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time can get boring...

I know I would jump at the chance to form a citizen's watch group. Granted, you probably wouldn't have the need, or want to shoot anyone, but in Texas your vehicle is considered your property...I doubt there are many vehicle thefts in Alto, Tx, but one can never be sure. Bad seeds in small towns can get bored and cause all sorts of ruckus.

It would have been an extremely interesting experiment to compare the before and after crime rates in this town, which would not be difficult at all to keep up with, to see just what effect lack of police officers has on crime.

I was just looking the town up on Wikipedia, and the entire place is only 1.7 square miles. It housed a concentration camp (which someone spelled incorrectly on the Wiki,) for WWII POWs. (Which seems strange, but, well, .....ya.) The population is close to 2,000. Demographics include 65% White, 25% African American, and 10% Hispanic.

One can't tell all that much from those data, but it is interesting none the less, and also provides some insight into the town. Well, this thread doesn't have too much shock-value, but it was an interesting read nonetheless, so thank you OP.
edit on 6/3/11 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by zatara

What revolution are you talking about?

I swear ATS is full of revolution fetishists.

Cops are being laid off, and people are going to have to make due on their own. I don't see how anyone is going to want to upset the calm by starting some fantasy revolution.

You are right...sorry.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

reply to post by Heartisblack

My idea would be to ask volunteers from around the various neighborhoods(Of good character and sound mind)to take turns patrolling the streets and making sure nothing goes down.

There is NO reason why people of any size town can't do this.

Amen, but it's still the principle, Why did they have a huge police station anyway ? That is the next
$64,000 question alone. They're a small town but a big town but you don't need a huge police force to deal with them either. Fire whoever is mismanaging the funds!
edit on 2-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

The next 64,000$ question would be...How many of them are related? I would wager that the sherrifs and PD created jobs for some family members. It would be interesting to find out given the town is only 1900 people. Jobs may be a hard thing to come by in a town that size.
edit on 3-6-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
reply to post by Vitchilo

WAAAAAHH, police yourselves and stop being sniveling cowards dependent on government protection. We don't need police officers to protect our homes, our property or our liberty. We should be in charge of that, the police are there to solely protect and serve.

If an American citizen can not protect there constitutional rights then and only then should they call on law enforcement. In truth, it's really not there job to protect your liberties.... It is yours, calling only upon them if you need help in a just argument complying with the Constitution.

Not really, it is the police's job to carry out the law, not a citizens. Just like it isn't our job to judge...that would be a judge.

Anyone can run around, shooting their guns defending the constitution, but isn't their right or place to.

You are from USA, right? I just figured you would like to know facts vs dreamworld BS.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Originally posted by Chai_An

reply to post by Heartisblack

My idea would be to ask volunteers from around the various neighborhoods(Of good character and sound mind)to take turns patrolling the streets and making sure nothing goes down.

There is NO reason why people of any size town can't do this.

When I read your quote I immediately thought of New York City and had to chuckle.
To be totally honest this would not be an option for a large metropolitan area.

A large metropolis!? That's a joke, you think this is bad. Google Flint, Michigan. They only have 6 or 5 cops. A girl from God like productions lives there, it's a ghetto full of white people; I'm 100% serious they have the highest murder rate in the entire country. I thought she was joking when she said she lived in a post-apocalyptic society, I had egg on my face to find out she wasn't.

Yeah I know a few people form there. Flint is a complete mess. MI needs to stop voting in idiots.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

WAAAAAHH, police yourselves and stop being sniveling cowards dependent on government protection. We don't need police officers to protect our homes, our property or our liberty. We should be in charge of that, the police are there to solely protect and serve.

If an American citizen can not protect there constitutional rights then and only then should they call on law enforcement. In truth, it's really not there job to protect your liberties.... It is yours, calling only upon them if you need help in a just argument complying with the Constitution.

I guess this is the test for all the Gun-nutters.
If this fails then the "right to bear arms" and "well regulated milita" will start to sound hollow.

Texas of all places should be able to uphold the laws with their own weapons. Or are all those guns and the heated rethoric only for show and tell?

EDIT:
I have a novel idea for the world to consider.

If a parent discovers that his/her adult child is a criminal (beyond shoplisfting and speeding) they should kill said child. A sort of post natal abortion.
I'm sure that would help the rest of us.

edit on 3.6.2011 by HolgerTheDane because: it seemed the right thing to do.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane

So wait...Gun owners are "nutters" but you propose killing people for whatever crime they commit...Hmm..

A sort of post natal abortion huh...

Morality...It's a funny thing.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mudbeed

Not really, it is the police's job to carry out the law, not a citizens. Just like it isn't our job to judge...that would be a judge.

Anyone can run around, shooting their guns defending the constitution, but isn't their right or place to.

You are from USA, right? I just figured you would like to know facts vs dreamworld BS.

Being the devil's advocate here, the US constitution as well as individual state constitutions gives the citizens the right to bear arms. Also common law gives the citizen the right to self govern which includes policing. Now on the realistic side, as already been asked by someone, the big question is do we really want people of questionable judgment (vengeful and paranoid as examples) to be apart of a group to keep order in the communities?

Also I think some communities would fair well whereas others may be total chaos.Either way the communities will eventually assign the job of sheriff to someone, after all to be honest the sheriff is the only recognized body in the constitution in regards to law and order.
edit on 3-6-2011 by Chai_An because: after thought

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mudbeed

Yup from the Flint area too and you couldn't pay me to go back. And it's mostly black people . Town went fron 160 thousand to about 90k people in 15 years. DEAD police don't patrol the whole place and the fire department is non existant. Makes Detroit look nice

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Komodo

If they have money problems, look to the city council and mayor.

The town I worked for when I started was about the same size.

Just because it is a small town does not make it Mayberry. Yes, everyone knows everyone's business, but that does not make the whole town a Utopia.

The Chief more than likely worked 8am-5pm. His job is to keep the department afloat. He does the accounting, plays the city politics, works on grants, coordinates with other law enforcement, etc. He really does not have time to jack around on the streets. But when the opportunity arises, I am sure he gets out and helps.

Again, I am speaking from experience (was a Sgt. with a small town force (1250 residents)).

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Exactly what I'm saying LM......why lay off security as the first and foremost defense against crime, makes NO sense at all? So there wasn't ANY other program/ability to lower the wages? Who did actually lay them off? who voted to do so? Did they have a town meeting on it?

As a townsmen, I'd be gathering up EVERYONE and marching up the mayor's steps and demanding a meeting with the TOWN itself or outright fire him on the spot and make the town a co-op.

The rabbit hole is lined with $100 bills ~! The only other reason I would think of is the town police know something corrupt about the mayor or vice-versa or both! and the mayor got the upper hand and will recruit a new police force.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
haha geez guys. im from texas and not everything is about beer and guns!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The town only has 1,000 people but yet had a police force of 5 (4 officers + the chief). That's a bit unnecessary so they disbanded the police department and can save some money. Crime won't increase because they will still get coverage from the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office and the Texas DPS Highway Patrol.

How many cops do you need to police 1,000 people? I live in a town of 32,000 in a major metropolitan area and we only have 2.5 officers per shift from the county police department (we share half an officer with a neighboring community).
edit on 3-6-2011 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Oooo. Good news for the city. No more criminals running around bullying you, destroying the constitution or killing your pets!

Texas Town Furloughs Entire Police Force

With its finances stretched to the breaking point, Alto, Texas, is giving its police officers the boot for six months—all five of them. OK, so it’s not exactly the NYPD. But with the county sheriff’s office already overburdened, town residents are afraid losing their small department could have dire consequences. “They’re just throwin’ the town wide open to crime,” one resident tells KTRE.

What about you man up and arm yourselves and organize your little citizen police instead? Citizen police run by the average guy will be way more honest and will not waste it's time harassing people...

Be like a real American back in the time of the frontier... MAN UP.

Sometimes citizen police go on witch hunts.. and they don't see things as innocent until proven guilty. All it would take would be an unfortunate case of wrong place, wrong time for someone to be blamed for a robbery, rape or something they didn't do.. and you can imagine what these citizen police who are so manly maned-up would do.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

..... THIS IS TEXAS!!!!!

You know. If I was the town. I would lobby the Mayor to keep on the towns chief of police.
Then get the chief to deputize anyone who wanted to patrol the town.
With enough eyes watching and armed I don't see a problem.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

So wait...Gun owners are "nutters" but you propose killing people for whatever crime they commit...Hmm..

A sort of post natal abortion huh...

Morality...It's a funny thing.

Morality - don't you just love it?

Read the Bible. Leviticus. Then we can talk again. I'm not far from the scripture on this one.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

What does Leviticus have to do with this?

Your comment is on gun owners and how anyone guilty of a crime beyond shoplifting and speeding should be killed. So what you're saying is, because Leviticus condones the execution of gays then it is ok to murder people in the way you described?

You're not making much sense.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
oops! they have put there foot in it now!
when the new crimb vigers come in for that mounth.
it will be Zero!!!!
the police will look stupid.
we can do with out them.
its only the very violent crimbs you need the police for.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There seems to be a "hollywood" Texas people love to assume is the real state. Texas is no more or less civilized than anywhere else, and like other places it's communities have to be organized and work within a set of rules (laws), it's not a shoot em up old west type state where JR Ewing is dictating things.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
What about the border area? I am hearing that they suspect a Mexican drug cartel behind the shooting of a Bexar County Sheriff's deputy last week.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
What about the border area? I am hearing that they suspect a Mexican drug cartel behind the shooting of a Bexar County Sheriff's deputy last week.

Well lets be honest cops are shot weekly somewhere in the US, whether or not it make it to the nightly news remains to be seen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join