It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perhaps Glasses Should be Mandatory for Police Enforcement -Cops Shoot Concrete Alligator Yard Art

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
So wouldn't normal procedure be to call some type of animal control authority? I somehow doubt they are supposed to be shooting real alligators much less fake ones.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by ColoradoJens

That drowning story is absolutely horrendous. I never commented on it yesterday, but in my opinion, watching someone struggle for their life and drown is un-human. If someone is struggling for their life, then policy and procedure are out the window, and you act like a human being, and you jump in and save them!!

I can remember maybe in the late 80's when some doctor tried to help a guy dying on the street and he was sued by their family...it seemed to signal the beginning of the end of getting "personally" involved. Much wrong with that.

CJ

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So...what happened to knocking on the property owners door, and simply explaining the report to him? Im sure he would have cleared things up real quick, and there would have been no need for firing shots at a concrete statue. Im no expert or anything, but Im pretty sure I can tell concrete from gator. Any who, what WERE they doing on his property without his prior consent? Im gonna have to agree that these guys are too DUMB to be "civil servants". And I don't just say that about anyone. Well, I hope they at least got a good laugh outta it, I know I did.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Good Samaritan Laws are supposed to ease the burden on people that try to help, but there is still a stigma, and people do seem to still be scared to get involved.

They are intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death. In Canada, a good Samaritan doctrine is a legal principle that prevents a rescuer who has voluntarily helped a victim in distress from being successfully sued for 'wrongdoing'. Its purpose is to keep people from being reluctant to help a stranger in need for fear of legal repercussions should they make some mistake in treatment

I can't imagine seeing someone fighting for their life, and my mind jumping to financial liability or other repercussions. It just seems wrong to put anything higher in priority than a human life.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Got to give the cops some credit.

The article mentions the homeowner put the novelty "sculpture" there in effort to keep kids off his property.

Yet the cops didnt arrest the guy for his obvious threats toward neighborhood children.

Though once they hear all the laughter focused on their shooting a concrete segmented half-gater they just might return with some ridiculous charge to give their fragile egos a little power boost.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

How is a concrete gator a "threat" to anyone? Its better than some a-hole sign, or calling the cops every time some miscreant wants to mess around on HIS property. Or would you rather he shoots them. I think its a pretty ingenious idea actually. And probably one of the best and most honest routes to take in his situation. Especially, if he has had problems with kids on his property in the past.

I suppose he could be like that officer that chased the kids down, in his swimming trunks, then proceeded to break into his home. Does that sound like a better idea? Just because he smelled cigarette smoke on his property.

The only threat I see here is on the part of the officers. They could have hurt someone, on the other hand, that gator was never going to hurt ANYONE...EVER. Again, if they simply would have knocked on his door, and explained that they had a report of a gator in his back yard by some kids, he probably would have told them it was concrete and was put there to keep kids off his property, and ended with a "It worked pretty good too, eh?!"

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chickensalad

Of course it's not a threat.

And I'm shocked the cops didnt twist it as they are oft want to do.

You know, blaming some poor guy for their hasty and idiotic actions.
edit on 3-6-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

LOL it is funny but I am happy they didnt shoot a real 1. Youz guys

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Glad they took shots at the gator for several reasons:

"They need to go home safely to their families"

"You don't understand the stress that the job entails"

"They were just doing what they were told to do"

"Think about the children"

I know I missed a few of the standard ones, but hey, you get the idea. Funny story, I bet the office pranks are epic after this one.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'd be really mad if they ever shot my gargoyles.

Those things cost a fortune.

Will they pay for the gator damage?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I'd be really mad if they ever shot my gargoyles.

Those things cost a fortune.

Will they pay for the gator damage?

They very well may! I love the fact they shot it twice! I guess when the concrete flew off with the first shot, they said, "well, that conservationist told us the head would be hard!"...sheesh...

CJ

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Got to give the cops some credit.

The article mentions the homeowner put the novelty "sculpture" there in effort to keep kids off his property.

Yet the cops didnt arrest the guy for his obvious threats toward neighborhood children.

Though once they hear all the laughter focused on their shooting a concrete segmented half-gater they just might return with some ridiculous charge to give their fragile egos a little power boost.

Gotta hand it to the guy, thats a good idea to keep the kids away. We should put concrete border patrol agents alongside the border in the areas that are not manned.
edit on 3-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Here is another easily made mistake, especially when you are "challenged" down there. Many cops do take on the job to make up for their personal deficiencies...

ColoradoJens

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join