It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran dies while changing flag, fire fighters return later to change the flag.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Here’s a story of a good deed done from a fire department right around my block (perry,ohio).

A Korean War veteran apparently died of natural causes Memorial Day while he was attempting to replace a tattered American flag atop his 20-foot TV tower.

Later on Monday, Perry firefighters returned to Catron’s house to replace the flag, according to Deputy Fire Chief Larry Sedlock. Firefighters used a ladder truck to access the TV tower.

With the way the world is going, and the ridiculous laws being ushered in, it’s no wonder his wife wasn’t charged in some way with her husband’s death.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
That's a touching story.

Thanks for bringing it.

Firefighters don't get near enough recognition. The majority of them are volunteers. This just shows the character of these people. Kudo's to them.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Firefighters and other real heroes like this should be the highest paying jobs.

But then if we paid them so much they wouldn't be heroes because everyone would want to do it.

Nasty paradox that one is.

Oh I got it. Let's make a national holiday for them and other emergency response workers. Make it a 2 day holiday.

But, the problem is. Who is gonna work on their holiday? Right...them...

They are obviously screwed no matter which type of magic we invoke to repay them.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Right; I thought it was pretty amazing of them to go back and change the flag, it does show a lot of character of that fire department …for sure.
"They got his flag to fly"
I wonder if they will bury him with that old beaten flag ?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup

That may seem like an odd thing to say to some but I think it would be fitting and respectful.
Thanks for posting a non Gloom and Doom human interest piece.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I meant it in a respectful way too: that ole flag flew its last flight, and so was he, so which better way than to bury the two.
And thanks , glad to bring this story.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
God bless the vet and the fire department,
PLEASE bury him with his old flag.
I know that is what he would have wanted.
There is a Real America left!
Thanks

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup
reply to post by GAOTU789

Right; I thought it was pretty amazing of them to go back and change the flag, it does show a lot of character of that fire department …for sure.
"They got his flag to fly"

I think that would be awesome. If I were the deceased, that is exactly what I would want.

It's already been said, but I'll repeat it: Firefighters don't get nearly the amount of respect - or pay - that they deserve. Running into a burning building while everyone else is running out? HERO.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Americans really impress me sometimes. They seem to one of few nations that respect their flag and those that respect it.

Awesome story

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Awesome story, Firefighters are definately a selfless bunch, but isn't that what firefighters do on a daily basis; selfless acts. I'm in a family of fire fighters and our fire department is among some of the selfless people I know. Kudo's to all firefighters out there, you do amazing things everyday both volunteers and paid.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sippy Cup

I really hope they do bury him with it. It would be fitting, like someone else said.

top topics

join