It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Union of Spirit and Soul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I am currently writing another book. In the process, some of what I am writing will show up here on ATS. My aim is to receive feedback on my thoughts and possibly help in refining my perspective. Feel free to comment on this latest thought:

--------------

The sun and the moon create life on earth as we know it. Apart from the influence of either, life could not ebb and flow with the cycles of solar radiation and magnetism. These two creators of animated substance represent the first stage for producing the miracle of life on earth.

According to an old Hermetic axiom, “What is the above is from the below and the below is from the above.” This bit of ancient insight gives away a subtle secret to our understanding of reality. By understanding the ramifications of this glimmer of truth, we are able to define what science reveals. As we examine the microcosm and the macrocosm, we find that the universe is a mirror from top to bottom.

1 Corinthians 13:12

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

If we go back and consider the union of the sun and the moon, we can then reflect this truth in nature forward to higher truths that may exist. The next two aspects of life that come together in union are male and female. The sperm and the egg unite to form the next stage of life below. This new life is carried in the womb during development as the mother nurtures it to birth. However, is this the end of the sequence of union? Consider this:

Most wisdom traditions around the world recognize the duality of soul and spirit; consciousness and subconscious; ego and superego; mind and body. Many descriptions can be found to outline the various divisions between spirit, soul, mind and body. Accordingly, the ego is the part of the self that must be overcome to create the spiritual man. If we picture this duality of soul and spirit by the reflection of above and below, we begin to see the spirit and the self for what they represent.

Plato said, “Know thyself.” This axiom was inscribed in the entrance of the temple of Apollo at Delphi. What does this mean in relation to the spirit-union for the individual soul? Is there a larger truth that remains hidden?

From my perspective, I recognize my ego as the part of the inner soul-nature that I must develop as my life progresses. In a way, the self is like a child that I carry with me everywhere I go. This is a profound way to envision duality. By understanding this one aspect of our inner nature, we can begin to redefine our relationship our true purpose in life. Ultimately, we are a mother nurturing our next life.

When I am awake, the self demands its way, playing my emotions against my mind. As I sleep, the subconscious self plays with the unlimited creative capacity possessed by the mind. In many ways, the self (ego) is like a child that I am training. The question is: training for what purpose?

According to many references from antiquity, the silver cord connects the spirit to the soul that inhabits the body of man. This cord can be compared to umbilical cord connected to the mother’s womb. If we follow this line of thinking, then the body can be seen as a placenta and the earth as its womb of development. Although this is a crude analogy, we can easily see the significance of the transition our spirit will make from the union of soul and spirit as we escape the mortal coil of this realm of existence. Life is indeed a mystery to be solved.

Ecclesiastes 12:6-7

Remember him—before the silver cord is severed, and the golden bowl is broken; before the pitcher is shattered at the spring, and the wheel broken at the well, and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

From this simple perspective, we can no see clearly into the atonement of Christ on the cross. What man could not accomplish on his own was paid by Jesus work on earth. Where we fail, Christ succeeds. Atonement, or at-one-ment, is the ultimate miracle performed by the savior of humankind.

John 10:29-30

“29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

Another way to describe this duality of soul and spirit is to recall the significance of the tree of life. According to my pervious reasoning, we are the roots below, while our next body is being made by us in the form of the tree above. We carry this essence within us as we progress closer to the spirit of God. As the soul and spirit gain union with God through Christ, we complete the development and bear fruit from the branches of our new form. This fruit produces our new estate above.

As I have stated previously, an oak tree is enfolded into the acorn. At its essence, it is information animated to form. This information can be saved or lost. All life in the universe is this enfolded information in the form of the particle and wave duality of Light and Word. The Light of Genesis 1 and the Word (wave) of John 1 represent the first creative union within the Holy Spirit.

edit on 2-6-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

I do not think it can really be said that "apart from the influence of either, life could not ebb and flow with the cycles of solar radiation and magnetism." We can speculate that this is so, but it would be just that: pure speculation. Lacking a moon, life very well could have arisen on Earth in similar or entirely dissimilar ways.

Our planet was gravitationally formed from debris left over from the birth of the star that we currently orbit, and although its orbit is in direct relationship to the sun, it can also not be said (without being technically inaccurate) that the sun itself gave birth to our planet.

Not all life on Earth derives from energy that ultimately comes from the sun, as evidenced by lifeforms that feed off ostensibly toxic gases boiling up from beneath Earth's surface. There is zero connection to photosynthesis in their life cycle, and again, those gases do NOT arise from the influence of the Sun's energy. What they have in common is a their kinship in cloud of gas and matter that pre-existed both our planet and our sun.

I grew up in the Lutheran church, but am not a believer. I never was, to my memory. The plainly obvious and proven truths of science were undeniable to me, even then, and have only become more so as I've matured. I'm not saying religion or Christianity in particular is BUNK, but I tend to believe as much. I can just admit I have no real way of ascertaining the objective truth of the matter. I say that because I feel that anyone who seeks to use Christianity as a basis for a mystical cosmology (as you seem to be doing) must explain the rationale behind God's bizarre thought process in Jesus' atonement. What do I mean?

God, omniscient and omnipotent, comes down to Earth in the form of Jesus, and though his suffering, all believers can achieve eternal salvation. This is entirely senseless. Why?

1. Who CARES if God suffers in some way when he's a human? He is GOD! I dare say that a close family member who has suffered through cancer, surgeries and ruptured discs in their back has suffered exponentially more than the man Jesus was said to have suffered. Two years of pain and suffering and agony vs. a few days of torment and eventual death, and we're supposed to think that God performed some amazing thing whilst on Earth? But again, what meaning does self-imposed suffering have when it's being taken on by God? None.

2. God would seem a terrible, evil being if Christianity is true. God could, given His power and knowledge, simply forgive all beings for all transgressions, known and unknown, for all eternity, and welcome each and every being into His loving arms without instituting a formal process (i.e. acceptance of Jesus). Instead, this all-knowing being created flawed creatures with God-given personal or cultural traits that can, through willful disobedience, limited thinking or being raised improperly, suffer for all eternity. God, all-powerful, is COMPLICIT in humanity's suffering, and the suffering of all sentient beings. God is complicit in the rape of a four-year-old child. God is complicit in the torture of nuns. It's all part of God's plan, and all that happens is His will.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Your post reminded me of the bridal chamber, a "mysterious" Christian Gnostic "sacrament" of the union of the male and feminine aspects of God. There are theories on what it may be exactly, but I feel the bridal chamber is synonymous with the Hindu's kundalini: a union of the male and female energies, running up the spine and eventually out through the crown chakra.

This is an interesting page you may want to take a look at it, here.

Sophia is known as the divine spark. - Christ is the light that lighteneth every man.
Sophia as the feminine soul. - Christ as the male spirit.
Sophia as the Church, the bride of Christ. - Christ as bridegroom, the head of the Church.
Sophia as humanity. - Christ as the last Adam.
Sophia as the feminine of God. - Christ as the all, the image of the Father.

- From the aforementioned site.

Good post as always.

edit on 2/6/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I have heard it said many times before: For every flawless argument for God, there is an equally flawless paradox to the argument. Life is an image as in a mirror I suppose. One persons sees the true image and another sees it backward as a reflection.

You suggested that God may not have his process straight. I think it would be better stated that God has selected the best method for trial by fire. We can only see ourselves in reflection. This is true for us but it must also be true for us to see God. We are created 'in' his image. It's a hall of mirrors. One day, we will be able to look back at the image with great understanding. Purpose is not ours to define I suppose. We have not yet progressed to the point of designing a process to develop artificial sentience. I would assume God has. He has rules of His own to follow. Would He be righteous if He was above His own law?

Originally posted by mahajohn
reply to post by SuperiorEd

I do not think it can really be said that "apart from the influence of either, life could not ebb and flow with the cycles of solar radiation and magnetism." We can speculate that this is so, but it would be just that: pure speculation. Lacking a moon, life very well could have arisen on Earth in similar or entirely dissimilar ways.

Our planet was gravitationally formed from debris left over from the birth of the star that we currently orbit, and although its orbit is in direct relationship to the sun, it can also not be said (without being technically inaccurate) that the sun itself gave birth to our planet.

Not all life on Earth derives from energy that ultimately comes from the sun, as evidenced by lifeforms that feed off ostensibly toxic gases boiling up from beneath Earth's surface. There is zero connection to photosynthesis in their life cycle, and again, those gases do NOT arise from the influence of the Sun's energy. What they have in common is a their kinship in cloud of gas and matter that pre-existed both our planet and our sun.

I grew up in the Lutheran church, but am not a believer. I never was, to my memory. The plainly obvious and proven truths of science were undeniable to me, even then, and have only become more so as I've matured. I'm not saying religion or Christianity in particular is BUNK, but I tend to believe as much. I can just admit I have no real way of ascertaining the objective truth of the matter. I say that because I feel that anyone who seeks to use Christianity as a basis for a mystical cosmology (as you seem to be doing) must explain the rationale behind God's bizarre thought process in Jesus' atonement. What do I mean?

God, omniscient and omnipotent, comes down to Earth in the form of Jesus, and though his suffering, all believers can achieve eternal salvation. This is entirely senseless. Why?

1. Who CARES if God suffers in some way when he's a human? He is GOD! I dare say that a close family member who has suffered through cancer, surgeries and ruptured discs in their back has suffered exponentially more than the man Jesus was said to have suffered. Two years of pain and suffering and agony vs. a few days of torment and eventual death, and we're supposed to think that God performed some amazing thing whilst on Earth? But again, what meaning does self-imposed suffering have when it's being taken on by God? None.

2. God would seem a terrible, evil being if Christianity is true. God could, given His power and knowledge, simply forgive all beings for all transgressions, known and unknown, for all eternity, and welcome each and every being into His loving arms without instituting a formal process (i.e. acceptance of Jesus). Instead, this all-knowing being created flawed creatures with God-given personal or cultural traits that can, through willful disobedience, limited thinking or being raised improperly, suffer for all eternity. God, all-powerful, is COMPLICIT in humanity's suffering, and the suffering of all sentient beings. God is complicit in the rape of a four-year-old child. God is complicit in the torture of nuns. It's all part of God's plan, and all that happens is His will.

new topics

top topics

join