It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Microsoft Trying To Make Linux Illegal?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Not sure, its an Hp Pavillion dv6000 came with Vista.

BTW right now I am running at 116F usually runs around 125F small load, gets up to 150F if I am pushing it.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Microsoft can't sue apple for using UNIX/POSIX derived code. They would have to sue themselves first.

They would have a hard time doing so, especially for operating systems derived from BSD Unix.

You got projects like FreeBSD, which originated from the i386BSD UNIX source code. Lots of proprietary operating systems re-use lots of code from FreeBSD.... Mac OSX is pretty much designed around BSD, even windows uses large majority of the networking code from FreeBSD (tcp/ip stack for example). The BSD license permits people to re-use the code (without having to make the source code available) and sell it in binary format as long as they give credit in the form of a copyright label.

They can't really sue people for using UNIX (unice/*nix/bsd/linux) code which is open source, as microsoft is already using some of it.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
And what I do is my own business, I am all about the take down of the Military Industrial Complex and the Corporate Banking Cartel, in any, and every way that I can. I am surprised that so many of you actually support this corporate rule. We are supposed to "Deny Ignorance." Use free software, break the back of Microsoft!

Too bad Linux is used by the United States Military. Linux used by all braces of US Military

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
The one big plus with linux is everything is open.
It is written in Unix and there are likely at least 500.000 people that can open the source codes and read everything in the programs.

With M$ most of the source codes are hidden and even most experts can not read a M$ distro line for line to find and remove all the tricks M$ has hidden in there distros.
many of these tricks report back to M$ anytime someone tries to use a pirate copy.

Something i have noticed with laptops with M$ distros on them is that they die at ether 3 months 6 months or 1 year and have to have M$ reloaded on them.
because most don't come with a disk to do a clean reload may people BUY a copy to use to reload.

I have been doing a lot of clone disks for people after they have run there laptop for a month to get everything set the way they want it and then i clone there hard drive as a repair disk to a small external USB drive.
If the person has a internal drive become corrupt or it shuts down all they have to do is format there internal drive and clone from the external drive to reinstall M$ OS.

All my computers have clone drives that i reclone every month as backups even the linux computers i have.

I also believe that just after M$ ends support for XP on April 8, 2014, that a lot of XP computers will start crashing from sabotage by M$.
I have three spare K7S5A motherboards with CPUs so i should be able to run my computer for years on XP unless M$ does something dirty.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
It is written in Unix and there are likely at least 500.000 people that can open the source codes and read everything in the programs.
What?

With M$ most of the source codes are hidden and even most experts can not read a M$ distro line for line to find and remove all the tricks M$ has hidden in there distros.
All (or mostly all) of Windows source code is secret, as the code for most software made by any company.

many of these tricks report back to M$ anytime someone tries to use a pirate copy.
No need for that, the code just needs to "see" if it was registered with a valid key, and Windows stops working if it's not. Software piracy is a crime in most countries.

Something i have noticed with laptops with M$ distros on them is that they die at ether 3 months 6 months or 1 year and have to have M$ reloaded on them.
From what I have seen that's mostly because of the software the laptop makers include in their installations, in the company where I work all laptops have Windows installed (XP, Vista or 7) and they work without a problem for years.

because most don't come with a disk to do a clean reload may people BUY a copy to use to reload.
They come with a recovery partition instead of a disk, and several makers include a program to burn a recovery DVD.

I also believe that just after M$ ends support for XP on April 8, 2014, that a lot of XP computers will start crashing from sabotage by M$.
That never happened with any of the previous versions, and I doubt it will happen. Even without support, a legal, old version of Windows must be keep on working, so they would risk being sued by millions of users all around the world.

I have three spare K7S5A motherboards with CPUs so i should be able to run my computer for years on XP unless M$ does something dirty.
I still have Windows 2000 in one of my computers, with no problems.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join