It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Microsoft Trying To Make Linux Illegal?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

That's not what I was asking, and you probably know it, so why give that answer?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Ah snap I guess Linux is easy to hack Linux Foundation Servers Hacked

Kernel.org code site hacked

You can get good firewall programs on Windows to lock your system down if need be. You come off as a common Linux troll that just bashes Windows and Microsoft for the sake of bashing. We can see this when you refer to Microsoft as M$. Don't blame Windows because you don't know how to configure a firewall properly.

Seems like you just don't want to pay for software since you admit to software piracy and key cracking. That's why your system was insecure.

There are programs to encrypt the hard drive on Windows. Guide to encrypting hard drive in Windows

There is also encryption software you can buy too if need be PGP Whole Disk Encryption and BestCrypt

Oh by the way I guess you haven't heard about how Android keeps getting malware and it runs on a Linux kernel. Systems are only as safe as the person who uses it.

edit on 17-9-2011 by GNUFanx86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Read a few of my posts. I am not only against Microsoft, I am against all Corporate rule over humanity. And if you let it rule you, don't complain. Truth be known, I know two people who worked for Microsoft, and they told me some fascinating tales of corporate espionage, and of how Bill Gates ripped off his business partner for the M$ source code. I have heard that the Source Code for Windows 7 is now available for download on some of the torrent sites, if you are interested in building your own Windows OS. Courtesy of the Chinese. And what I do is my own business, I am all about the take down of the Military Industrial Complex and the Corporate Banking Cartel, in any, and every way that I can. I am surprised that so many of you actually support this corporate rule. We are supposed to "Deny Ignorance." Use free software, break the back of Microsoft!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GNUFanx86
reply to post by autowrench

Ah snap I guess Linux is easy to hack Linux Foundation Servers Hacked

Kernel.org code site hacked

You can get good firewall programs on Windows to lock your system down if need be. You come off as a common Linux troll that just bashes Windows and Microsoft for the sake of bashing. We can see this when you refer to Microsoft as M$. Don't blame Windows because you don't know how to configure a firewall properly.

Seems like you just don't want to pay for software since you admit to software piracy and key cracking. That's why your system was insecure.

There are programs to encrypt the hard drive on Windows. Guide to encrypting hard drive in Windows

There is also encryption software you can buy too if need be PGP Whole Disk Encryption and BestCrypt

Oh by the way I guess you haven't heard about how Android keeps getting malware and it runs on a Linux kernel. Systems are only as safe as the person who uses it.

I don't care what you do, your gong to get screwed if your running Microsoft.

Linux is much safer, do your research..

Microsoft programs are loaded with unneeded, unnecessary, useless, #. So why would I want to pay 100s of dollars for a POS program on a POS operating system.

YES you are right, it is as secure as the person using it, as for Microsoft, you can't secure that when they are adding back doors.... Sorry!!!!.

edit on 17-9-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Read a few of my posts. I am not only against Microsoft, I am against all Corporate rule over humanity.
But you don't have a problem with repairing and secure computers using Microsoft products, apparently.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I fix Microsoft computers for people too, since I know (somewhat) how Microsoft works is why I switched to Linux. Since I know how they work then why not fix a few on the way?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Read a few of my posts. I am not only against Microsoft, I am against all Corporate rule over humanity. And if you let it rule you, don't complain. Truth be known, I know two people who worked for Microsoft, and they told me some fascinating tales of corporate espionage, and of how Bill Gates ripped off his business partner for the M$ source code. I have heard that the Source Code for Windows 7 is now available for download on some of the torrent sites, if you are interested in building your own Windows OS. Courtesy of the Chinese. And what I do is my own business, I am all about the take down of the Military Industrial Complex and the Corporate Banking Cartel, in any, and every way that I can. I am surprised that so many of you actually support this corporate rule. We are supposed to "Deny Ignorance." Use free software, break the back of Microsoft!

Good luck with that. If Microsoft would fail Apple would take their place before Linux would. You are incredibly naive. I surely wouldn't want a Chinese pirated source code or OS either. If you are so desperate for a free copy of Windows use ReactOS it's an open source OS that is compatible with Windows software.

You ramble on like a crazy person. Open source software is okay but you're not going to change the world with it. You still have to pay for your hardware unless you steal that too, by the way you talk I wouldn't put it past you.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tygart

Microsoft programs are loaded with unneeded, unnecessary, useless, #. So why would I want to pay 100s of dollars for a POS program on a POS operating system.

YES you are right, it is as secure as the person using it, as for Microsoft, you can't secure that when they are adding back doors.... Sorry!!!!.

Were are these backdoors? Prove it instead of making blanket statements.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

I was not asking you, I was asking autowrench.

Do you share autowrench's points of view?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by Tygart

I was not asking you, I was asking autowrench.

Do you share autowrench's points of view?

No! But I was expressing my point of view. This is an open thread right?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
When did this turn into an attack?

If you guys want to use Microsoft go for it, no one here is trying to change the world with open source software....

As much trouble I have had with ALL my Microsoft software, I have found that Linux works better and faster.

Also I don't care if no one asked me!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GNUFanx86

Were are these backdoors? Prove it instead of making blanket statements.

Ok you annoy me, Software you download can send your computers information back to the software developer.

I did my research, now you do yours.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Ok you annoy me, Software you download can send your computers information back to the software developer.

I did my research, now you do yours.

That is called usage statistics that you can OPT IN for. You seem to not understand what a backdoor is.

A backdoor in a computer system (or cryptosystem or algorithm) is a method of bypassing normal authentication, securing remote access to a computer, obtaining access to plaintext, and so on, while attempting to remain undetected. The backdoor may take the form of an installed program (e.g., Back Orifice) or may subvert the system through a rootkit.

en.wikipedia.org...

Collecting usage statistics isn't hidden and is easy to opt in or opt out of by selecting it during the software installation. It isn't hidden or covert, it's not a backdoor. Also it tells you what is being collected in the statistics if you'd bother to read through the EULA.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

No! But I was expressing my point of view. This is an open thread right?
Yes, it's an open thread (like all ATS threads), but it was the second time I asked autowrench something and got an answer from you, and that starts to look a little strange.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Maybe it's a sock account of his. Can you see if he's using Tor or some other proxy? Or maybe they both are friends trolling the board.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

When did this turn into an attack?
I guess it started with the opening post.

If you guys want to use Microsoft go for it, no one here is trying to change the world with open source software....
I use Windows and Linux (Ubuntu), they are just tools, some better for some things, some better for other things.

As much trouble I have had with ALL my Microsoft software, I have found that Linux works better and faster.
I find Windows and Linux (at present) equivalent, if we know how to work with them.

Also I don't care if no one asked me!
No need for that, you can make posts without nobody asking, you know that.

PS: relax, it's Saturday (here in Portugal is already Sunday) and we are discussing operating systems.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I find Windows and Linux (at present) equivalent, if we know how to work with them.

I tried and tried, brand new Laptop, slow, crashed out of programs and the fans were going all the time, as I recall 140F-150F, I could have built a nifty pizza cooker with it...

Sorry I got pissy.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

What was the Windows version that laptop had?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Read a few of my posts. I am not only against Microsoft, I am against all Corporate rule over humanity.
But you don't have a problem with repairing and secure computers using Microsoft products, apparently.

That is true, I do work for a customer base, 90% of whom run Windows. Each one I work for gets a little free education, and gets shown my Linux computer, Slowly but surely people are coming over to Linux. Mostly where a Windows computer gets in trouble is downloading programs. In fact, the last one I worked on the poor woman downloaded a game she wished to play, and it crashed her whole system. I felt so bad for her, I installed some games for her off a DVD I have here. The only thing holding a lot of people back is Linux is really hard to configure a dial up on. I live in the mountains, and fast Ethernet isn't installed everywhere yet.

Most everyone I talk to think Microsoft is price gouging customers. I have had 10 or 12 people come here with a Windows 7 machine, and ask me to install XP on it, something that actually works, they say. Windows 7 does not have a dial up program. I also have no real competition here either, there are two computer repair shops nearby, to do what I do for less than $100 they charge up to $300, and neither is them know squat about Linux.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Most everyone I talk to think Microsoft is price gouging customers. I have had 10 or 12 people come here with a Windows 7 machine, and ask me to install XP on it, something that actually works, they say. Windows 7 does not have a dial up program.

Wrong you can use dial up.

Control Panel> Network & Internet> Network & Sharing> Setup a new connection or network> then select the dial up option.

It's pretty easy and straight forward to set up.

Windows XP is a decade old, Windows 7 is so much better. I've never had any problems with it. Why would you want to push XP still? Support ends for it on 2014. It's a 32-bit system and all new computers now a days come with Windows 7 64-bit. It has Kernel Patch Protection and Driver Signing for an extra layer of security.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join