It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US economy on verge of 'Great Great Depression'?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgi

Really? Well, in part you are correct...it does go up and down, but not 100-300 points at a time! Do some research on the great depression. It started the same way. Propped up by the banks, but it didn't last. hence the great depression.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I actually heard a suggestion on the radio this morning that the only way to fix this now was....another 700 billion dollar bailout, but also not have citizens pay income taxes for 9 months. Their point was if the citizen new they would not have to pay income taxes for 9 months then they would spend a lot more. Which would in turn generate economic growth. I think this has some valid points but also has absolutely no proof it will work. Plus who do you give the bailout money to.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Do you remember the stock market after 9/11 ? It was very very volatile. It happens. Last may the stock market dipped hugely then rebounded the same day, but that was a glitch. its nothing to worry about.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgi

Wow! I want what you are on! I could sleep much better at night thinking everything was hunky dorey!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

I am high on life.

In all seriousness. I do not see the end other the US happening, the worst was in 08 and early 09. If it didnt happen then, its not going to happen now. There is no indication of a depression, just a bump in the road in a recovery from a recession.

I see a lot of people here would like to see the economy collapse so that they can say,"I told you so" and feel better about hoarding everything.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gorgi
reply to post by haarvik

There is no indication of a depression, just a bump in the road in a recovery from a recession.

Really???
Vice President Biden, are you playing with Barack's teleprompter again?

Wake up and smell the burnt toast. The U.S. economy is going straight down the crapper.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation

Originally posted by gorgi
reply to post by haarvik

There is no indication of a depression, just a bump in the road in a recovery from a recession.

Really???
Vice President Biden, are you playing with Barack's teleprompter again?

Wake up and smell the burnt toast. The U.S. economy is going straight down the crapper.

Starred for having one of the coolest sigs I've seen!

It's funny, I see where some of these people are coming from. I talk to them now and again. This is no big, just a bump in the road, everything is going to be just fine...

Well, maybe. Maybe not! "What if" this is the time that has been chosen to implode the currency? What if TPTB actually desire the US economy to go down, and Americans to get more humble?

Seems like the wealthy are factoring this in to their plans, as the price of gold going up primarily reflects an international movement away from fiat, into something more tangible.

Sadly, many of those who are convinced all is well, will be left sucking eggs if the SHTF.

I always tell people to be conservative. Maybe all will be fine, who knows for sure what TPTB are up to "this time"? But they're always up to something! Why not be slightly prudent, and have a bit of precious metal, like the wealthy? Doesn't mean we have to sell our homes to buy it, just a little, to be safe, in case one day we wake up and find the green bills in our pockets aren't buying much. Not such a radical idea, I don't think.

JR

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
One thing everyone should know is this-This isn't exactly going to be like the Great Depression. What's happening in this country is Hyperinflation. This happened in Zimbabwe and the Wiemar Republic of Germany. Both of those countries' currencies failed due to hyperinflation.

The thing that any country will witness with hyperinflation is starvation. That happened in both of those countries. They were burning Wiemar (like burning dollars) to stay warm.

Could you imagine a loaf of bread costing $100-200? That's what people need to be aware of. Dollars will soon not buy things like they used to.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by InFriNiTee
One thing everyone should know is this-This isn't exactly going to be like the Great Depression. What's happening in this country is Hyperinflation. This happened in Zimbabwe and the Wiemar Republic of Germany. Both of those countries' currencies failed due to hyperinflation.

The thing that any country will witness with hyperinflation is starvation. That happened in both of those countries. They were burning Wiemar (like burning dollars) to stay warm.

Could you imagine a loaf of bread costing $100-200? That's what people need to be aware of. Dollars will soon not buy things like they used to.

It is an inflationary depression. What that means is things like Real estate, big ticket items and non essentials are deflating as people are not buying. Real estate especially is in depression, it's dropped over 33% and just dropped another 10% recently. Food gas and essentials will inflate food prices are up 10-30 percent. Gas is up etc.

People have tightened thier belt. However millions have lost their jobs homes etc. and cannot find work that will support them. When it hits critical mass or a tipping point it will be worse then the Great depression. It will be good in the long run but painful during the transition

Many institutions we grew up with that have been around for generations will pass away. Others will be born anew. The good of the community as a whole will be stressed, however before that happens individual rights will come under attack even more then they are now. This will be a period of decay that will lead to a new order good or bad which will depend on us.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I'm originally from the U.S.
Here is a darker picture.

Individual states will start to resist globalism by breaking off from the Union.

People will start squatting on land living in tents and doing subsistence farming.

It will be total anarchy for awhile and perhaps there will be ethnic cleansing.

U.S. Civilization will then reappear as small militias in a feudal system.

The world won't be able to attack as each divided U.S. territory will still have its nukes.
The world will also be too economically poor to wage war against the U.S.

The U.S. will become irrelevant in world affairs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join