It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three arrested, accused of illegally feeding homeless

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

nope

i have never been arrested so i guess i am better than them.

and i do follow the rule of law no matter how stupid it is.

and i do think people need to be helping themselves instead of having their hands out.

i am give a man a fish you feed him for a day teach a man how to feed and you fed him for a lifetime crowd.

what people like those and possibly yourself fail to see is the promotion of dependency.

i liken this to a zoo feed the animals domestic them and if they ever get turned back into the wild they cant survive from the morality imposed on them by people like them.

not very humane in my opinion

edit on 2-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, but who the hell is teaching them to fish. You need lots of cash to go to school. If education was free then you could use that argument. Many people on the street are mentally ill, and could not be taught to "fish". Should they be allowed to die a slow death of starvation? Maybe we should just put them down so we don't have to lower ourselves to feeding the animals.

When a law is immoral, those who follow it become immoral themselves. To play devils advocate, lets say that they passed a law saying that sex out of marriage was to be punished by stoning (keep in mind that that was the law in the old testament), would you be the one to cast the first stone, or would you stand up and say "NO".
edit on 3-6-2011 by Chindogu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The concept for laws such as this as illustrated by the late George Carlin.

NIMBY = not in my backyard

As in, everybody is for feeding the homeless and taking care of the poor so long as
they are not personally inconvenienced by it.

As in, it's okay to feed them, just not in my neighborhood, else all the homeless
will stick around waiting for a handout.

As in, it's okay to be homeless, AND I am a giving caring person, and I want to help and all,
but I don't ~really~ want those people staying anywhere near me.

....Hence the law.

...Because if you feed them you will encourage them to hang around. So if you want to
feed them you MUST go to someplace where no one has any concern about them hanging
out.

The should call this "The Bigot's Homeless Feeding Statute"...and BTW we are all to blame
for laws like this. Especially the more well-to-do of us with manicured landscaping
and lawn gnomes and community status and all that other egotistical glitter.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by Griffo

"They intentionally violated the statute," said Lt. Barbara Jones, an Orlando police spokeswoman.

Of course they did. THEY DID NOT LOSE THEIR HUMANITY LIKE YOU...

Freaking cops. Whoever passed this law needs to lose his job and go homeless. The cops who arrested those 3 persons need to lose their jobs and become homeless and if a judge dares to convict those 3 people, he needs to lose his job and go homeless.

I wish the governor would sweep in and overthrow that stupid law.

The cops are merely doing their job by enforcing a law. That's a cop's job.

I dont support the law. I've cooked for FNB for years. But complaining about the cops is pointless. change the law. complain about the people who wrote and PASSED said law.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

are they cops or dumbo??
Who just follow ordes like zombies. .
Man. .that law is disgusting. .

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner
They made this law on the basis of "Feed them and more will come".

What do you know?

I was homeless for a good 8 years. I know a lot. I would go where there was food. Homeless people know how to use a phone... meaning they would call their buddy's up saying "- Common down!

I don't think homeless people have phones !

Perhaps I am behind the times, but I doubt it very much !

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
How shameful.

What does this say about us as a society when we criminalize feeding the hungry or helping the needy.

And how does this reflect on us as a society for allowing and for tolerating it, how does this make us look in the eyes of others?

This is the most absurd and despicable thing i have seen in a long time, since the panhandling ban in Atlanta about which i wrote a nice letter to the editor illuminating these same things, such as...how is a homeless person going to be able to A) post bond or B) pay any fines, and C) just more taxpayer money keeping these people locked away for being needy.

Every day brings a new reason to loathe our society and our country even more.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
If the law forbids them from giving food to the homeless, does it also forbid selling it to them for, say 1p or the equivelent in other currencies ?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qwenn
If the law forbids them from giving food to the homeless, does it also forbid selling it to them for, say 1p or the equivelent in other currencies ?

It's a clever question. But selling foods in a public park, even for only a penny, would likely require all sorts of permits.

They pulled this same thing in my home town. They passed an ordinance saying you cant feed people in a public park. Kids went out and served anyway to highlight the ridiculousness of the law.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Not only do homeless people want to work, a lot of us are workaholics. And that is one hell of a withdrawel.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.

Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"
(Matthew 25.35-40 ESV)

I am sure that Jesus is reserving a 'special' place for those responsible for harassing these people.
edit on 5-6-2011 by Stratus9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence
How shameful.

What does this say about us as a society when we criminalize feeding the hungry or helping the needy.

And how does this reflect on us as a society for allowing and for tolerating it, how does this make us look in the eyes of others?

This is the most absurd and despicable thing i have seen in a long time, since the panhandling ban in Atlanta about which i wrote a nice letter to the editor illuminating these same things, such as...how is a homeless person going to be able to A) post bond or B) pay any fines, and C) just more taxpayer money keeping these people locked away for being needy.

Every day brings a new reason to loathe our society and our country even more.

When this country goes to hell in a handbasket- from economic or natural devastation - all anyone will be able to say is that, spiritually & karmically, we brought it on ourselves.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by havenvideo

It is a shame that this organization cannot buy from trader joes, but I imagine they work with limitied funding.
As for rotten food, not all foods considered rotten are unsafe for human consumption.
You'd be surprised what you'd eat if you ever were truly hungry.
Did you really eat rotten food knowing it would make you "violently sick"?

The point of fnb is to spend 0 moneys.

But anyway, I was pretty much homeless, living in a condemned squat where fnb was ran out of. Like you said, you be surprised at what you'd eat when you're hungry.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join