It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three arrested, accused of illegally feeding homeless

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've heard today. Two men and one woman were arrested in Orlando for feeding homeless people.

Members of Orlando Food Not Bombs were arrested Wednesday when police said they violated a city ordinance by feeding the homeless in Lake Eola Park.

Apparently there is a law which restricts group feeding in public parks and they broke this law by, obviously, feeding the homeless.

"They intentionally violated the statute," said Lt. Barbara Jones, an Orlando police spokeswoman.

Bail was set at $250 for each person arrested. Cross and Markeson were released from jail early

Thursday. McHenry wants to stay in jail and let the legal process take its course, Coleman said.

Three arrested, accused of illegally feeding homeless

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

I guess it's sort of like not being allowed to feed the squirrels either. Pretty ridiculous.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
no words i can give could describe the utter stupidness of this law

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
ok look at those mug shots

i would want them arrested to when they look like that trying to feed me

not a chance if i was homeless.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

What has this world become when you cannot even feed your bretheren, smh amazing the cops could of let that pass

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

some pictures are worth a thousand words and sometimes those words fill novels.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm guessing they fed them because they thought they were looking in a mirror

Ya but it's called "food not bombs", they were arrested because of that

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wow ..am i dreaming? i can believe that in USA exist this law

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

"They intentionally violated the statute," said Lt. Barbara Jones, an Orlando police spokeswoman.

Of course they did. THEY DID NOT LOSE THEIR HUMANITY LIKE YOU...

Freaking cops. Whoever passed this law needs to lose his job and go homeless. The cops who arrested those 3 persons need to lose their jobs and become homeless and if a judge dares to convict those 3 people, he needs to lose his job and go homeless.

I wish the governor would sweep in and overthrow that stupid law.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

BOOOOO These people are way better than you apparently

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

nope

i have never been arrested so i guess i am better than them.

and i do follow the rule of law no matter how stupid it is.

and i do think people need to be helping themselves instead of having their hands out.

i am give a man a fish you feed him for a day teach a man how to feed and you fed him for a lifetime crowd.

what people like those and possibly yourself fail to see is the promotion of dependency.

i liken this to a zoo feed the animals domestic them and if they ever get turned back into the wild they cant survive from the morality imposed on them by people like them.

not very humane in my opinion

edit on 2-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Maybe the government has decided to treat those without property as animals? The title of this thread instantly put a picture of a sign in my head that says "Do not feed the bears!".

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Isn't that one dude Jerry Garcia???
poor Jerry can't feed his kids

edit on 2-6-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia
no words i can give could describe the utter stupidness of this law

But it is in fact not a "law". The article clearly states it is a "statute" and there is a difference.

"Law" comes from common law. It is more or less the way things have always been done and is usually backed by "Case Law", the way the courts have always handled issues. Common Law relies on a body of history and past cases to determine what the rules are.

"Statues" is entirely different in that it comes from Government Regulation. A "Statute" is debated and eventually agreed upon by Government , not by Judges.

Under Common Law it is Judges who make the laws. When a Judge is hearing a case, he/she makes decisions based on previous Case Law. In a situation where there is no law found or any history to draw from, the decision the Judge makes then becomes Law. This is why you see Lawyers always cite "precedent" when they make a case to a Judge. "Precedent" is nothing more than another word for "history" in regards to Law.

Herein lies one of the many problems with our Police. They are too busy enforcing statutes that Government bodies have told them to enforce. As usual with Statutes or anything that comes from Government, it criminalizes behavior in which there is no victim. No one is hurt, no property is damaged, no one is violated, yet the act of feeding a homeless person is "illegal".

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by neo96

I give a man a fish and teach him how to fish.

Why must it be one or the other?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i am give a man a fish you feed him for a day teach a man how to feed and you fed him for a lifetime crowd.

the "teaching a man to fish" in this case is getting them a job. Thats how we fish in todays society.

You are from that crowd, huh? cool...I applaude your charity work. So, I know your not one to boast or anything, but how many homeless people have you either hired personally, or got a job for?

a few hundred? thousand? .....1 even?

something tells me, your actual stance is "ignore it and it will go away" moreso than teaching anyone to fish...just gut instinct I am basing this on.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by neo96

I give a man a fish and teach him how to fish.

Why must it be one or the other?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Give a man a fishing pole makes the most sense.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

This is pathetic, there is absolutely no logic in a law that forbids people from feeding others in need. Invading foreign nations and killing thousands is ok but feeding the poor in your own nation is forbidden? Stupid people are still in charge it seems.
edit on 2-6-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Food not bombs is a amazing organization!

i used to work at a vegan supermarket with organic produce. they would come in once a week on their dime and collect donations, basiclly old bread, all produce for their compost pile. and would cook meals and feed people.

A society is truly judge on how it treats the least of them.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join