It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My take on witchcraft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think there's a truth behind every superstition. The idea of magic goes way back in history and I really don't think the idea would have become so popular in the first place if it was based entirely on myth. Yeah, you'll have crazy people that believe things without ever having experienced any trace of it, but still...

A kid's belief in Santa Claus is a perfect metaphor for what I consider "magic" to be. The kid is told something that's *snip* insane: that every Christmas morning, some fat guy goes to nearly every household in the world by riding a sleigh driven by flying reindeer and delivers wrapped gifts to every child who behaves nicely throughout the year. All the kid has to do in order to get what he wants is write out a list of things he desires. His faith is restored every Christmas morning when everything he asked for "magically" appeared under the tree. He never suspects human interference. Its just magic. He's trained to accept that nobody understands how it happens. For all he knows, the "elves" were the ones who made it possible.

In reality, "Santa Claus" and the elves are allegorical characters for your parents. They're the ones who have been practically spying on you throughout the year to determine whether or not you deserve any gifts. They were the ones secretly taking note of what you hoped to happen. They were the ones who bought the gifts and made it happen. But, as a naive little kid, you knew nothing of the steps between wishing and happening. That's what magic is. Thinking you can produce a tangible effect just by meditating on it.

Now think of the potential a system like this would have for ruler in an ancient civilization. You could easily appoint your own secret service to spy on your citizens. Get the peasants involved in routine rituals where they get together and verbally announce what they wish to happen. Have your "secret service" present during these rituals but obviously under the disguise of a regular civilian. Have them report back to you what these peasants had wished or prayed for. If it was something feasible, have your servants make it happen. Since all of the peasants witnessed the ritual, they will all be amazed when their prayers are "magically" answered. They've already been conditioned to naively think there was no human labor expended to make these things come true. Of course not all of their divine requests come true, but they will always focus more on the few successful times. As a ruler, you just need to claim that you have some divine connection with the gods and the peasants will humbly accept this as fact. You, yourself, are practically a god to them and they would never dare to antagonize you. This would be the way to go if you fear your royal bloodline doesn't mean # to them anymore and you think you might have to deal with civil disobedience in the future.

I think this same concept is used in modern day by religious cult/clan leaders EVERYWHERE. All you need is a small group of gullible, servile, #ed up people. You can easily enough just let them come to you. You claim you have some kind of expertise in witchcraft and they will automatically trust you. You teach them how to perform rituals when, sparing the redundant details, all they have to do is clearly state their desires in your presence (or, if your group is big enough, in the presence of a trusted "eye"). For all they know- the process ends there. A lot of kids who seek out "Satanic" cults are really just looking for drugs, sex, and retribution toward somebody. You could easily give these things to them if you have good relations with a local gang or Mafia. "Magically" fulfill their desires, awe them, and leech off their trust. If your gang buddies are "professional" enough, they could make the death of somebody look like an accident or even a suicide. The police would laugh if they heard "that kid in the Satanic cult casted an evil spell to have the victim murdered". And your clan members would be more loyal to you now than ever. Only you know how to work with real magic...

Anyway, I'm fairly confident now that I could go out to join a local cult that practices black magic and find somebody who's associated with a huge organized crime ring... your thoughts?

This just came from an epiphany I had. I'm sure somebody will put my theory to shame, but whatever. Just felt like sharing XD

edit on 3-6-2011 by gallopinghordes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
it is true that there are gullable people everywhere..the power of the mind is largely unexplored.. wicca is something you should look into..true there is no santa claus however there is a grain of truth behind most myths like st.nickolus giving needy children toys..thought induceing post

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I saw the title, scanned your thread and replied. If I missed a point I will go back and read it more thoroughly when I have finished eating.

I noted the word gullible. While I will admit that there are easily lead and gullible people within Witchcraft, it is in it's modern form anything but. The guillible ones need to be lead, to be told what to believe. Witchcraft as it exists in Pagan religion it not one of these. it is not a sect, it is not a cult. There are groups that exist that could be described as such. But in general, as with all religions, Not.

The only thing I can tell you, is that magick is very real. however this is not the soul purpose of witchcraft, as put forward by the likes of Silver Ravenwolf, and her riding of the silver broomstick. It is first and foremost a religion.

As for witches being a sort of secret service to serve the elites. (I think that is what I saw). I would say no. maybe in Egypt with the temple priests, or Greece. But is Witchcraft. or Weacca, the craft of the wise. this was usually the elder woman, or the midwife. She who brought you into the world and took you out of it. the medicine woman / man if you like. And usually as poor as dirt!

Interesting your take on Santa is scarily close to the truth.

Santa, Saturn, Saturnalia, Festival of christmas, Death of the dark to bring life, and light. Secrifice, Blood on the snow, Red and White. it's all very pagan.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

Actually I do believe in Santa. not as a fat guy who comes every year. But as the embodiment of the spirit of yule. And it is true that it does give gists every year. Not one you can buy though!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
People can fake just about any kind of miraculous event they want, but that doesn't make it magic or witchcraft. Casting spells is based on observed actions/reactions and spiritual beliefs. There is a method to this sort of madness. I do like your take on it though, it reminds me of how fake faith healers work a crowd and can convince people to make donations.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Basically all magic is illusion. There is nothing magical about a magician, but when you dont know better (or you just want it to be true so much) the illusion is magic. Delusion works the same way i guess. If you are convinced something is true that is not (like magic) then it simply is true to you and then you find fake evidence all around you to support this fake truth and justify your belief.

Interceptor

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Is there some bloody reason why you decided you had to post "Santa Claus isn't real" when some of us actually hold that belief in our hearts as part of the Christmas spirit? Why did you have to go and ruin something like that? Don't you know Saint Nick is a source of hope for children all over the world?! Why would you dash their hopes like that, you jackass?!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Didn't mean to come off so strongly against witchcraft and whatnot. I'm not saying that everyone involved in it is psychotic. People are naturally just curious of these things and that's why they seek them out. But most of the crazy people I've known happened to be obsessed with the occult and other bizarre things. And if I were to proclaim that I had demonic powers that allowed me to inflict illness on other people, I think it's safe to say my followers would be pretty #ed in the head.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Witch craft is Very very old.
it is all about symbolic empathy.
a cave man paints a pitcher on a wall.
it is him hunting an animal that he killed.
why would he paint some thing he just did?
he is giving thanks to (the powers that be?) god.
and using it to have more luck in the next hunt.
this is a form of magic. working with nature.
That is witch craft.
Like, you plant a seed you water it and feed it.
you get a plant to grow.
Positive thinking.
you plane your life and set goals.
you get pitchers of a new car or home.
That is sympathetic magic.
We all do it. Just some know what they are doing!
Witches...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Witchcraft is not the art of satanic cults, as satan is a construct of the Christian faith not pagan belief structures.
So while there may be devil worshippers and Satanists,
Wiccan and pagan creeds are not in them selves the practice of the dark arts.
And how many good catholic Italian crime members do you think there are..?
Celtic magik is far removed from stage and parlour tricks..
it its a relgion of knowing not faith.. but you have to take the journey down that road yourself to find out.
the wiccan creed, is do as you will harm none
which certainly isnt dark to me.
peace and travel well

heres some primers you might find handy to dispel the myths and misconceptions you may have.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.religioustolerance.org...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
,,,most of the crazy people I've known happened to be obsessed with the occult and other bizarre things.

For some, yes. For others: Religion, politics, sexuality, narcotics, computers...etc etc.
The craziest people I've ever met wear spotless suits to work every day.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I don't know why you picked witchcraft for this post but you could of still made the post without singling witchcraft out. It is not a cult. Any religion can do witchcraft, it is part of a ceremonial act, it is not a religion unto itself. Unless you are a practising witch, a member of a coven, and understand how it works, I suggest you stick the art of deception, magicians. And don't slander that which you know nothing about.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
You people are missing the entire point. Why single out witchcraft? I'm talking about the origin of peoples' belief in "magic".

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Magic(k) is real. very real.
Simply put. We are enegry beings. We live in a world that is full of energy ad vibrates at a sub atomic level. In essence magic is creating a force of energy and giving it intent, by force of will. its al simple as that

Energy affects energy.

I personally have seent he results of it. You may call that coincidence. But let me pout it this way. if enrgy manipulation does not work, and is a figment of gullible people Would you personally voluteer to take on a Chi Gong master?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

No i see what your trying to say, but the same can be said of any religion then..
its just by using the terms witchcraft and satanic together it shoes you dont fully understand the history of Celtic
tradition.and that the origins run deeper then control.. as witchcraft as you call it is a knowledge based path not a faith based path, which you learn if you decide to walk it yourself.

and yes you can create tangible change with meditation.. its just some people dont believe it so they dont see the change...
others know what it can do..
but if you try to change something by meditation outside of yourself, it becomes harder to manifest real results as there is the group consciousness controlling the flow.
if you meditate to blow up the world, how many others out there do you think are working to stop that happening ?
so as they say your attempts are futile..
but if i am still missing the point feel free to enlighten me.

edit on 6-6-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

I'm using "witchcraft" loosely, here. I used it as a blanket term to cover the engagement in rituals and invocation spells which plenty of Satanists do perform. I understand that many of them do these things in a more tongue-in-cheek manner just to create a certain atmosphere while meditating- without ever really believing in a literal Satan, magic, or anything supernatural. But of those who are fully convinced that magic exists, in a lot of cases I think its because their Master is deliberately deceiving them. And these "Satanic cults" I'm talking about would be whatever a typical antisocial teenager would seek out; I'm not demonizing "The Temple of Black Light" or other major Luciferian organizations. Think more along the lines of a group of kids getting together in the woods with some shady character who has them believe he can fulfill their desires. These predictable desires would be based on getting laid, getting high in some way, and getting the # scared out of them. Not hard requests to fulfill.

These fake "cults" do exist as I've ran into them by accident while exploring supposedly haunted locations. My conspiracy and central point of the whole thread is that this system of deception is why most people so adamantly believe in magic.

Now I do welcome any anecdotal accounts of you guys having any success with "magic". Feel free to post your experiences. I don't care what people believe therefore I have no reason to mock anyone. I'm genuinely curious.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

oh i agree there is shady sides to everything..
but the problem i have is that people lump satanism, luciferism, devil worship wiccan and paganism all in the same basket.
witchcraft isnt Satanism by definition.
but if you search the history and meanings of the words and religions you see they are vastly different.
satan is a hebrew construct

Satan (Hebrew: הַשָׂטָן ) "the accuser"is the title of various entities, both human and divine, who challenge the faith of humans in the Hebrew Bible. In Christianity and Islam the title became a personal name, and "Satan" changed from an accuser appointed by God to test men's faith to the chief of the rebellious fallen angels ("the devil" in Christianity, "Shaitan" in Arabic, the term used by Arab Christians and Muslims).

Lucifer while used as a term for the devil is older then that

Traditionally, Lucifer is a name that in English generally refers to the devil before being cast from heaven, although this is not the original meaning of the term. In Latin, from which the English word is derived, Lucifer means "light-bearer" (from the words lucem ferre). It was the name given to the dawn appearance of the planet Venus, which heralds daylight. For this meaning, English generally uses the names "Morning Star" or "Day Star", and rarely "Lucifer".

and heres a list of celtic gods deitys and as you can see there is nothing like the devil in realtion to them.
en.wikipedia.org...

So while i understand your point its hard to take it seriously when you use a blanket term like witchcraft to include what isnt witchcraft.
You have to dig deeper then modern interpretations to understand the Etymology
but as far as neopagans go heres what most believe.

Few neopagan reconstructionist traditions recognize Satan or the Devil outright. However, many neopagan groups worship some sort of Horned God, for example as a consort of the Great Goddess in Wicca. These gods usually reflect mythological figures such as Cernunnos or Pan, and any similarity they may have to the Christian Devil seems to date back only to the 19th century, when a Christian reaction to Pan's growing importance in literature and art resulted in his image being translated to that of the Devil

so as you see it was the church that corrupted the icons of pagans to make them look bad because they were to popular..

edit on 6-6-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

This is where we differ. I would not call magic supernatural. It is natural. i.e. it exists naturally.

Although if you keep using the terms Witchcraft and Satanism in the same sentence, to be honest this will be written off by many practitioners as a thread without real insight.

That being the case, you want to tighten up on your terms. Say Satanic ritual when you wnat people to understand satanic ritual.

Also there is not such thing as Black magick, or white magick. for that matter. Only magick. How it is used determines its purpose, and that is on the caster.

Some prefer to call it the left and right hand path. Although "dark and "light' magick exist as terms but not in a good / evil sense.
edit on 6/6/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I can see from your comments that you too have walked the path for a while

You seem to have a grasp on it and understand that satan isnt a construct that is used in witchcraft.
blessed be
travel well.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Lets just say I am no strange to the quest perilous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join