It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Objectum Sexuality: When Relationships With Inanimate Objects Become Intimate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Object sexuality or objectum sexuality, in German objektophile (OS), [1] is a pronounced emotional and often romantic desire towards developing significant relationships with particular inanimate objects. Those individuals with this expressed preference may feel strong feelings of attraction, love, and commitment to certain items or structures of their fixation. For some, sexual or even close emotional relationships with humans are incomprehensible. Object-sexual individuals also often believe in animism, and sense reciprocation based on the belief that objects have souls, intelligence, feelings, and are able to communicate.[2] This is contrary to sexual fetishism where the object to an OS person is viewed as their partner and not as a means to an end to enhance a human sexual relationship.

Wiki

PA woman in love with and marrying carnival ride

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bfca53d83eea.jpg[/atsimg]

Ever devoted, Amy Wolfe, 33, fell for “him” when she was 13.
(How she determined gender remains a mystery to me.) Amy “rides” the ride she intends to marry about 300 times a year, and lets slip that the operators give her special concessions, keeping the attraction in operation a few times after closing so she can have time alone with her man. After years of courtship and over 3,000 goes, Amy wants to make him an honest machine.
Before she announced her unconventional marriage plans, Amy was featured in a documentary titled Objectum Sexuality: When Relationships With Inanimate Objects Become Intimate. Amy contends that she doesn’t suffer from a fetish, but rather, a condition of the same name. (Objectum Sexuality.) And she insists her feeling for the ride are not solely sexual in nature- although she does keep a picture of him taped to her ceiling so she can deal with that part of their relationship without being “indecent” in public.
UK newspaper The Sun quotes Amy on her dedication to her man:
“I know people think it’s weird but I love him as much as women love their husbands and know we’ll be together forever.”
“I wasn’t freaked out as it just felt so natural but I didn’t tell anyone about it because I knew it wasn’t ‘normal’ to have feelings for a fairground ride.
“While all my friends were going through their teens having crushes on boys, I was still thinking about 1001.”
For those of you who just can’t “get it” without a visual, Jezebel has some clips up of Amy spending time with 1001 and describing what drew her to him, including that he’s ”…so noble, so proud, so strong… I love him as a mate… I love him for the elegant lines of his gondola.” Sister, I know the feeling.
After the wedding, Amy- an unemployed church organist and totally not a lesbian- will be taking the surname Weber, after the manufacturer of the ride.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e8b7d966ce6.jpg[/atsimg]
Link to source

Woman 'married' to Berlin Wall for 29 years

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6425ad66c03d.jpg[/atsimg]

Eija-Riitta Berliner-Mauer, 54, whose surname means Berlin Wall in German, wed the concrete structure in 1979 after being diagnosed with a condition called Objectum-Sexuality.
Mrs Berliner-Mauer, whose fetish is said to have its roots in childhood, claimed she fell in love with the structure when she first saw it on television when she was seven.
She began collecting "his" pictures and saving up for visits. On her sixth trip in 1979 they tied the knot before a handful of guests.
While she remains a virgin with humans, she insists she has a full, loving relationship with the wall.
Mrs Berliner-Mauer, who lives in Liden, northern Sweden, said: "I find long, slim things with horizontal lines very sexy.
"The Great Wall of China's attractive, but he’s too thick – my husband is sexier."
While the rest of mankind rejoiced when the Wall, erected by the Soviets in 1961 to halt an exodus from East to West Berlin, was largely torn down in 1989, its "wife" was horrified.
She's never been back and now keeps models depicting "his" former glory.
She said: “What they did was awful. They mutilated my husband."
She is said to have shifted her affections to a nearby garden fence.
Objectum-Sexual or objectophilia is feelings of love, attraction, arousal, and commitment for a particular object.
The mere thought of a relationship with an actual human being seems ludicrous.

Link to source

Update: A 54-year old woman who was married to the Berlin Wall for 29 years is now cheating on the iconic landmark with a local garden fence.
Link to very questionable source

Clips from Strange Love

Well, I wasn't aware of the deep seeded connection these people can make with an object. I unfortunately have to take the stance that this is weird but. . . . . OK?
I don't understand why people are homosexual. I just don't get it. And that os Ok with me, I accept and tolerate them even though my views are not the same.
So shouldn't I feel the same way about this?
Mind you I still think having sex with a piece of the Golden Gate Bridge is pretty creepy! (see 1st video)

Here is the official international website for people of this:
Objectum Sexuality Internationale
edit on 6/2/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Mind you I still think having sex with a piece of the Golden Gate Bridge is pretty creepy!

I hear you...but in truth I see this just about every day.

My woman has had a long term affair with our ATM card, it almost ruined our relationship...every time I turned around she was fondling it, and the way she looks at it - she NEVER looks at me that way!

But, just like most women, when the ATM card stopped putting out, she lost interest...yep, a vicious thing this Objectum Sexuality can be.

edit on 2-6-2011 by facelift because: woman to women

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
"to each there own"
As long as you leave my objects alone you can express your love any way you want. Just wipe it off after use.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Its like "love" is imprinted on these objects the same way a duckling imprints whatever it first sees as "mother".

And why is it only women?

Could it also be that these women are compensating for some trauma in their love life? I mean I love my guitar but I dont have a sexual relationship with it (beyond heavy petting of course).

Any (scientific, peer reviewed) explanation for this behavior?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the interesting thread, OP. Can't say I've ever heard of this before so it's nice to learn something new. It's a very odd thing to me, this concept, however I can see how it could happen. Human relationships are hard to maintain, they take work and emotional investment. Might be easier to love something instead of someone.

S & F

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is some kind of odd personality disorder and it is just flat out sad. Don't they make a pill for this sort of thing? Some sort of anti-social disorder or something...crazier than 'Old Man Newman'...wierd, just weird!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
And we as a human race deserve to be erradicated in no short order, primarily due to the inability to be sane. In no way is this even remotely acceptable by the very nature of what human beings are. I am confused and disturbed at the same time..a little lost by all this too. I can not even begin to understand the mindset of people anymore..time to run away to the mountains. Who knows, maybe I will find a tall pine tree to marry...geeeez

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Another odd thing about this is:
Why is it easier to marry an inanimate object then a person of the opposite sex?

There is so much debate over same sex marriages but nobody seems to stand in the way if you want to marry a bridge, tower or ride!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
From artificial blackholes to planetary bodies like "Niburu"... this has to rank up above them all in strangeness. That's how crazy this is.

Here's an example of a man that marries his pillow. But at least the pillow has a face on it!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I've always said I don't care who someone marries, marrying your partner (in a gay relationship I suppose), you have as much chance at making it last and be successful as anyone else. If you love one another and the heart wants what the heart wants, what do you do? Love can be the strongest force there is. Some would chew off their arm to get what they want/love.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

here is so much debate over same sex marriages but nobody seems to stand in the way if you want to marry a bridge, tower or ride!

Well thats because it's not a legal marrige and there is no legal binding agreement with a pillow, bridge, carnival ride, etc...so why would anyone pay any attention to this, aside from the fact it is a strange and deeply disturbing mental disorder?

Who performs the marrige ceremony? What documents are signed? ...see where this is going...nothing really legal about this, and issues like spouse insurance benefits don't apply to this, or how about joint property rights...don't apply either.

Same sex marrige on the other hand...well it is legal in some states now and all of the rights that are assumed with a marrige between a man and a woman apply.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
I unfortunately have to take the stance that this is weird but. . . . . OK?

I think I'm in the same camp. Strange, but it's not hurting anyone, so if it's what they want to do... I don't mind it.

I think there's probably an underlying issue with getting along with people. I mean, an amusement park ride isn't going to argue with you, cheat on you, leave you, or have any of the other possibly unpleasant aspects of a relationship with a person (leaving the toilet seat open, running to their mom with your marital problems...)

There may be something about a control issue at work here as well. It's a lot easier to control the aspects of a relationship if only one of the parties is alive... The living party makes all the decisions, including how to raise the children, should there be any.

To each his/her/its own.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I wonder what all the religous people on here would say? Not that I want a religous debate but it seems people are more accepting of this then homosexaulity or bisexuality? Why?
Sure it does not hurt anyone and I don't think someone is doing anything wrong but I do believe these people have some emotional and mental problems.
When I saw this post it made me feel more normal in a sense; for being a lesbian. I don't know it is sad because an object can't really love back.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Leave it to the Germans to define sexuality. Please realize that the Germans have a very liberal view of sexuality and often skewed from most of western society. They acknowledge that pedo's are not the norm, yet they consider it a normal sexuality trait.

Google anything on German sexuality and you will come up with quite a few perversions that are accepted there socially.

Maybe we are to uptight. Maybe they are ahead of the times. Or maybe they are just plain insane.

I'm gay, but there is a limit of acceptance to certain sexual proclivities.

Edit: I'm going to star and flag this post for it's originality and awareness.
edit on 2-6-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Whatever floats your boat is how I look at it, even if it's the boat itself.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I could understand this woman being in love with certain inanimate battery operated devices, but a carnival ride? Yes very stange indeed.
peace

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab

And why is it only women?

Well, I dont know if its fair to say it IS only women. Ive seen videos of guys in love with their "real dolls" and the fact that they are objects shaped like humans doesnt make them one bit less an object in fact.

Originally posted by doctornamtab
Could it also be that these women are compensating for some trauma in their love life?

I dont know about the women who love objects, but if you watch the series on the guys who have love relationships with their dolls, you do gain a little insight into why. Maybe women like "big" monuments more than say a real doll because females tend to be attracted to status? I mean the Berlin wall, the Eiffel Tower, the Golden Gate bridge, these arent just "objects" they are like the celebrities or CEOs of the object world. And the real doll guys go for the absolute top rung in terms of what men tend to be attracted to also, youth and beauty.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I don't think any fetish practice surprises me anymore. I learned the other night via "Bones" reruns that there are folks who enjoy getting bridled and saddled up to play horse...as well as folks who like to ride said horses. Whatever, I guess. Strange. Sign of the times perhaps?

As for acceptance of this objectum sexuality ~ I think people are more "accepting" (if you can call it quite that) because it seems decidedly more like a mental condition, rather than just an alternative path.

I just wish I had a wife like that. She's cool with dozens of women riding her husband every day!

edit on 2-6-2011 by blamethegreys because: because "lay" vs. "play" really changed the meaning of the sentence!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I think it is weird that there is an 18 page debate on whether it is ok to be gay yet little to no debate here. I know it is a mental condition. There is no way to compare bisexuality or homosexuality to these at all. I really would like to know the opionions from those who believe homosexuality is wrong. Won't this be a worse deviation? I would hate to think me being in love with woman would be worse to some than a person being in love with something not alive.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

"There's no accounting for taste", said the old woman as she bent to kiss her cow.

I'm surprised there aren't more people marrying inanimate objects. We stand at the zenith of technology and in the sewer for how we treat each other. There are some good folks out there but most people suck.

The average, 'healthy' American female is raised by a twisted Mother in a long line of twisted Mothers. Little Princesses with great expectations bound for the heartbreak of reality. I've heard what, 100 stories of females insisting on huge over-priced Weddings that either wipe out what could have been a down payment on a home or have the newlyweds starting marriage deep in debt. Some don't last a year. It's all about her. Bitter I'm not, the fact is every wedding I've attended, there were 2 people making up the couple getting wed.

I've never met a woman that isn't up to date on "the soaps" regardless of how busy they are. I know many really intelligent, educated women with good relationships. Still, they devote time to Fantasy shows where everyone is beautiful and the most vile behavior is commonplace. Oh. My. God. Who in their right mind would invite trauma, drama, and people of lowly morals into their home? There is something REALLY wrong there.

When I am standing in the queue in the foodmarket waiting for check-out I see around two dozen magazines titles aimed at women. Half of those are filled with how-to instructions for females to attract a mate, control the date, make him happy in bed, whatever it takes to get wed. Rip him apart, bend him, change him, totally re-arrange him. Then take all half money in court. "He's not the man I married!" LOL !!!

Some 3/4 of the women in America seek to marry an inanimate object. They dream of it, they talk of it, they dress for it and they perspire in the gym for it, they apply war-paint for it and they totally deny it. But watch the look on their face when you whip out that great, big, manly, thick, well-stuffed....wallet.

The day will come when lifelike animatronic female dolls will be affordably priced and men won't have to put up with the insanity any longer. The 1/4 of the females that are nice and worth your time can enjoy marriage to good fellows and the rest can marry the inanimate object of their desire. Win-win.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join