It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Own Personal American Revolution: 10 Things YOU Can Do Now, Really, To Start Change

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
This was obviously a very well thought out post, and I wish to address each of your suggestions from my point of view, attempting to determine how easy or difficult these ideas may be for the average citizen to implement.

As for removing all funds from major banks, I totally concur. This is one of the easiest on the list, and the majority should be able to accomplish this hassle-free.

As for your suggestion to stop using ATMs and credit cards...I imagine many people are already swamped with credit card debt, and are having difficulty relieving it. Not everyone in credit card debt got there from frivolous spending, as some families struggle simply to survive and pay for bills and food on their incomes, therefore credit cards were the easiest option that probably seemed like a great idea at the time. Most have been there in one form or another, and I agree that once one can settle their credit debts, they should abstain from feeding the machine.

Next, discretionary buying. This is simply a matter of discipline, and is another of the very easy things on your list to accomplish. I think this is a great idea, as well as buying products only made in the US, although the higher price-tags will definitely be a deterrent to lower income individuals/families, and I think in those instances it is okay to buy foreign-made goods. But avoidance is definitely advised if possible.

Mobile services. They are getting filthy rich from cell phones and wireless devices. I know many people who cell phone bills, including my own, are through the roof. Obviously, as you mentioned however, it isn't feasible for most to ditch their cell phones. A solution, something I did recently, was to cancel my home phone service, simply keeping the DSL package. The fees they slap on to land-line phones is ridiculous...At least for me.

I personally hardly ever fly, and I would think that the majority of individuals rarely fly as well, excepting those who do so for business as you mentioned.

Our forefathers warned about the separation of church and state, and I actually hadn't heard of churches being involved in politics before, except the nuts at WBC. I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point as well, as no one should support a church that has anything on their mind other than religion and helping everyday people.

I will cut this short, but I agree with the rest of your listings as well. Again, this was an awesome write-up, and I hope that we can all make the sacrifices required to hopefully start to slowly turn our once great nation around, because at the rate we're going, it is likely that in the near future things may turn bloody.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

7. The next time you see someone on the side of the road with a flat, or a woman struggling to open a door, etc. then stop to HELP. Helping others, even in small ways is good for you, more for you than them. It also allows us to connect with each other just a little. This can help slowly to stop seeing enemies all around us, so we can focus on the real enemy -- the giant companies.

So very true, especially how it helps you more than them, sad most don't understand this. I think this step is the key.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Great post.. I need to remind myself of these goals more often. Funny how any logical person would call these steps toward being a 'model citizen'.. yet on a daily basis we're discouraged from doing most, if not every thing on this list.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Awesome post!! If most of the country followed just a few of these over time it would change this country for the better. I think many are waking up to the price it is actually costing us to have all of the latest trinkets and services from big megaglobal business. For banking you just have to see what kind of banks you have in your community. In my community, I chose a small local bank 5 years ago and have not changed or even thought of it. In 5 years, they have opened one branch and closed one branch. The 3 local credit unions on the other hand have grown and expanded with one even buying up other local banks. In my dealings (and others close to me) with these credit untions, all I can say is that they are being groomed to be big business. Thier policies and the things that they pull are right in line with the big banks and sometimes even worse! In one case I thought to myself "Wells Fargo wouldn't even do that". So be careful in thinking that the credit union is always better - in most cases they are but not here

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

change is not always good.

as I saw in Iran , a man of good intention was truly tearing my country apart. why ?

because he was the man with elite's interests.

be aware of TPTB. they are controlling our minds in every nation.

In Iran , the majority has understood that it is the PTB ruling the policy in every country .

there should be some one disconnected with elites and interested in majority's interests.

be aware of social networks and virtual guys.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
This thread is interesting in that it brings to light the fact that our economic system has become toxic. I'm thinking it isn't "TPTB" that have caused this (though they have benefited from it), it is our own perceptions-- driven on by a segment of the media that espouses material possessions and hedonistic pleasure. (Think MTV, although there are other perpetrators.) I think what we've found is that capitalism is a great system so long as it is "regulated" by our own moral fiber and goodwill towards one another. When our sense of competition with our neighbors became heightened, we began to act predatorily towards one another-- buying garbage we didn't need--produced in any number of environmentally and socioeconomically damaging ways-- with money we created out of thin air based on the perception that we will perpetually require more garbage. Most of us are guilty of this behavior on some level, so we tried to legislate our way out of the problem, hoping our collective will expressed through law would keep our competitive desires in check. This didn't work because our collective will didn't exist in the form we thought it did-- everyone from the janitor to the president shared our attitude. We were prepared, by and large, to prey upon one another-- and because of that even our legislation became corrupted. Everyone is looking out for 'ole number one-- deflecting personal responsibility for the support of slave labor, totalitarianism, generational theft, and corruption onto our society, the government, or TPTB-- rather than addressing the core of the problem--US!!!

We don't need the government to place tariffs on China, taxes on carbon, or calories on fast food wrappers. We know what we're doing, and we know it is wrong. All we need to fix our economy is for people to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for themselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
How about reducing your mass media consumption as well? Use the web of information to learn and read/watch the news with a mindful eye that much of it is spun for personal, political and corporate gains. Don't watch anything that could be considered "Reality TV", unless you like "COPS", it's a great way to watch your rights being taken away, and your people being degraded by TPTB, right before your eyes.
edit on 3-6-2011 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I have a mother in law who will not listen to a word I say about any of these things. She came from Communist Russia in the seventies and really enjoys the American lifestyle and the freedom to purchase what she wants, when she wants it, from wherever it came from.

Saying that though, she is both generous and frivilous with her money. Every Saturday she flags down the icecream truck and spends thirty bucks on ice-cream. It sounds ridiculous, but I see that poor guy driving around these days with very few customers (everyone buys big boxes off this stuff at WalMart or the Supermarket at a hefty discount, who wouldn't?) Last weekend the guy shook her hand and said Thankyou. He almost had tears in his eyes. This is a local man, trying to earn a living.
My mother in law spends double money to shop local and tips like crazy. If only I could convince her to get rid of the CC and buy American! She saves on Gas like this too.

I cannot stress the importance of getting out in the garden, not only is it spritually, menatlly and physically satisfying, it is a way to practice self sufficiency. There is no need to plant a field. Start out with a few herbs, tomatoes, cukes or peppers. Even strawberries. Something you like to eat. Stuff it in a sunny spot somewhere and water it in the morning or evening. Done.
Not only is it alot of fun and very satisfying, the neighbours will see your crop and start asking questions. Come next spring you will see a little tomato plant poking out the ground in the neighbours yard. Superb, you planted more than one seed, and are changing the world!

My landlady downstairs really wanted flowers in her yard and the hubby said "nah..." I started bringing her fresh lettuce, cukes and tomatoes over the last two summers. Guess what? She is working on the green thumb this year! I have started sending down cuttings from house plants for her too and she is just thrilled that the stuff doesn't die in a week.

Small steps people.

Personal disclosure. I have never owned a credit card. I wear junky clothes around the house (don't stop by unannounced!) I shop for most of my housewares second hand. All of my kitchenware is of the highest quality and will last to at least my grandchildren. I love to learn. My next bit is making booze. Should be fun!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Posted this on my web site (like any one visits it anyways) and linked on my FB S&F

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Great stuff. I have a suggestion to add. It has to do with how human mind works. I am Egyptian; and I believe that one of the main reasons for the success of the Egyptian revolution is a unified date and place. Unity = power. People used to see the date Jan, 25 as the apocalypse of the old regime; its 2012. If you ask someone to do those steps 'whenever he feels like it', they might say "yea, I'll do it... sounds great... I just need to take care of some stuff first", and there you go - they'll forget all about it. This happens because there's no set 'date'. If, however, a certain date is specified: June, 25 for example... it will have a dramatic effect on the readers. He's gonna be like: "Oh there's a date already? This looks well organized". Now, instead of saying "I'll do it whenever possible" they'll say "I need to prepare everything before June, 25"... he will feel like he wants to catch the revolution train everybody is on.

Give some organized look to your invitation and it will have much better effect on people.
edit on 3-6-2011 by TheAlmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

You are a indeed an angel in these rough times, thank you for your amazing input and Ideas on how to dismantle this terrible machine we have created over the years.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Well damn, I guess I am already a personal revolutionary!

Great tips though, it's a great starting point for the newbies

One thing could be added though.

11) Kill your TV
edit on Fri, 03 Jun 2011 06:48:44 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Originally posted by pajoly
3. Stop buying ANYTHING that is discretionary. EVERYTHING, unless you absolutely NEED it. Do you really need another pair of shoes? Probably not. If you do, check out the local thrift store. If you MUST really need a new pair, ONLY...EVER...buy a pair made in the USA, even if it cost 30% more. If you must buy anything, make sure you are penalizing offshore work and putting money into a USA person's wages. This is hard for some, we've grown so accustomed to impulse buying that $19 dollar shirt or $12 pair of shorts at Target or Wal-Mart. But those are made in China or Indonesia or etc.. Reject those goods. Be clear, this is NOT about nationalism -- it is about saving the American job. I'm a veteran, when the bullets fly, squads are not fighting for their country, they are fighting for their buddy next to them. Fight for your neighbor's job. If you think this is hard, then try this, pick one day of the week, every week, where you buy NOTHING. Just make it a game. You WILL save money and you'll stop feeding the beast.

That's commendable of course but now is not the time to be a hero. How would you know that those American workers you're supporting will still not shop at Walmart? Your own personal opportunity cost should be your top priority.

Respectfully, we'll have to disagree here. I think just that type of singularism (if I can invent a word) is part of the problem. To say we should buy cheap foreign goods because those around us does is a self-fulfilling prophecy. It also works the other way; make buying foreign a mark of shame. Again, I want to add this is not about nationalism, but about rewarding companies who manufacture domestically and especially the work opportunity it presents for Americans

edit on 3-6-2011 by pajoly because: fixed quote

edit on 3-6-2011 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bacci0909
Great post.. I need to remind myself of these goals more often. Funny how any logical person would call these steps toward being a 'model citizen'.. yet on a daily basis we're discouraged from doing most, if not every thing on this list.

That is an interesting point that I had not thought of. I do remember when TV shows essentially promoted this sort of ethic, but somehow modern culture has twisted this into something that is somehow uncool. I think part of it is that our "culture" these days is not just, "ME FIRST!"....it is about "ME FIRST, RIGHT NOW!!" and that's a very bad combination as it leaves no time for reflection/thinking or decency/humanity.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

I'm not religious, but I understand that, ideally, religion should be refuge. Please start a thread about this. I would like to see more examples of this abuse of power. I think defeating corruption in the church might be a little easier than in the government. Once aware of a problem, church people seem to be quick to unite and activate.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MattPreuss

Thanks. I admit to being in general too ascerbic on ranty on ATS in general (and have been justifiably smacked a few times by mods), but I wanted to write a post that I believed pretty much every one could agree on. What this shows is that, Republicans or Democrats or Tea Partiers or Libertairans or even apolitical people in the States all at the core really know what the problems are. That, I find, very interesting.

edit on 3-6-2011 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
When people establish themselves in these ways of doing things they should try to bring these practices into the main line political parties, at some level. Americans really have to fight to take back the political process at some point and prevent political parties from simply being the tools of oligarchy.

You'll see the "whites of their eyes", that is, of the enemy's eyes in that milieu. The most important battle will eventually have to be fought in that venue and with perseverence and patience that important battle may be reduced instead to a sequence of victorious skirmishes.

People need to take a leaf from the oligarchy's book and "boil the frog slowly", turning the heat up degree by degree.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
Few things I would like to add to the great list provided...

1. GET RID OF FACEBOOK, goldman sachs didnt invest half a billion dollars for nothing... Just another way to track everybody

2. Get eye opening documentaries and burn them and spread them out! Ive recently started doing this, Im getting a good response... Currently the doc's im burning and spreading out are... (Zeitgeist Addendum, and Moving forward. Collapse, College Conspiracy, Invisible Empire, Loose Change, American Dream Film, End:Civ, What in the world are they spraying, Into The Fire, Collective Evolution...)

Even if your boss cannot see your Facebook, your boss might be invited to look at it by a "friend". Going on vacation? The thieves might now know. People post about everything they are and do on FB. This information can be used to manipulate you. It's obviously used to sell to you.

I'm not clear on the ATS policy for promotion, so I'll be vague. There is a popular media subscription site that is LOADED with damning documentaries. I think they're offering a free month trial at this moment.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I would also add: don´t buy any financial products such as stocks, bonds, ETFs, certificates, CDs, or any other investment which is fueling the corrupted and the manipulators. If you want to preserve wealth and buy American, buy silver American Eagles or silver bars and rounds from US mining companies. I do believe in global trade though, so I buy some Canadian Maple Leafs from time to time.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join