It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Admin has an Excellent New Plan To Revive American Education, It's Brilliant!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told CNSNews.com on Wednesday that the administration's new $500 million early learning initiative is designed to deal with children from birth onward to prevent such problems as 5-year olds who "can't sit still" in a kindergarten classroom.

Sebelius and Education Secretary Arne Duncan jointly announced the $500-million program, which will provide competitive grants to states to address issues affecting educational outcomes for children from birth to age 5.

www.project.nsearch.com...

So what are your thoughts ATS?

With this in mind how would you compare the U.S. dept. of education vs. having no such department?
Is the U.S. Dept. of Education a department worth keeping or should it be scrapped?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I will, for a small govermental contract fee of, let's say 250 million, provide seatbelts for classrooms. And for a nominal upgrade of a additional $50 million, provide straightjackets. If you upgrade now, I'll even throw in mouth gags for free. Sarc off/

And the nanny state continues to grow.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It's nice to see them trying to do something about the education system as it lacks so far behind right now. I think offering incentives is a very good way to start. Throw the stuff out there and see what the states can come up with on their own.

Obama bashers will of course find something wrong but it looks like the right way to start down this path to me.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yeah!!!!!
They really want interaction and control starting from birth and going to the grave.

More Govt control, more intrusion, more tax dollars wasted, more money taken from some to give to others.

What a grand vision for Centralized All Seeing All Knowing Govt.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Half a BILLION dollars. Not much funding considering that the most important function of a government to control its populace is to control the children and their education. I like the bit about a 5 year old not being able to sit still - need moar drugs. Keep your enemies close. Keep your children closer.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

C'mon, be realistic. It begins with parenting. If the parents aren't involved with the childs learning no amount of govermental guidance is going to help.
edit on 2-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
It's nice to see them trying to do something about the education system as it lacks so far behind right now. I think offering incentives is a very good way to start. Throw the stuff out there and see what the states can come up with on their own.

Obama bashers will of course find something wrong but it looks like the right way to start down this path to me.

Oh yeah.
I love the argument that "At least they are trying to do something".

Sorry, but no action is better then 99% of any action taken by the Govt.

A house is on fire, and I throw an unknown liquid on it. Oops, it was gas, now its worse.
Well, at least I tried to do something, right?
What a poor excuse.
edit on 2-6-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well first should the education department be scrapped I mean lets look at the results from past and present to find out that answer. And as to the new plan I mean yeah I hav ebeen called an Obama basher. But this plans seems to say that most of the children have or is trying to address those specific children who have ADD ADHD. Can't sit still? Theuir children!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

The education system is too bogged down in politics, standardized exams, jurisdictional bullcrap, administration, and bad parenting/bad teachers. I just *love* the quote that talks about doing something about the "problem" of five year olds not being able to sit still in a classroom.
Well, I'll tell you for a fact that NO five year old will sit still for more than five minutes at a time. It's a developmental FACT. I'm a teacher, and I've seen it first hand.

That quote sounds more like they want to start indoctrinating children from birth so that they are "good compliant citizens" by the age of five. Sounds like these "education heads" need more time in a classroom and less time talking to lobbyists.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker
edit on 2-6-2011 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

You know this kind of thing really ticks me off first of all young children(2 thru 5) should not be expected to sit still.Children at that age learn thru playing not sitting still in a classroom,my children went to Montessori school in Japan at the age of three my daughter was reading and doing basic geometry thru playing!How do they propose to make them sit still?medicate them?how about the government take the toxins out of the food and water we have to feed our children?How about they stop giving babies vaccines as soon as they take a breath.....no lets teach them how to sit still in a classroom...

Advice for those with little ones please consider home schooling your children!!
edit on 2-6-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What is so excellent about this plan?
Blindly throwing money at a problem is not something I consider excellent.
Everything about the op is extremely vague.
The only point that I got was that the education system wants to start
micromanaging children from birth. I do not agree with that.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

$500 million is chump change compared to the billions Obamas given to bail out his wall street buddys, auto industry, and the like. Although I do agree that abolishing the Dept. Of Education might be the right move to make.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
sorry, I guess we can merge this with the other thread

Let me say guys in some parts of the world children do sit still and learn, and guess what?
Those are country that could never afford 500Mil towards education

throwing money at the problem will not solve anything
Those defending this, I cannot believe this, you are basically saying chimpanzees could run education and the economy and whatever they would do... well it would be better than nothing.

really? Stupid is better than inactivity?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

This will end up in perfect obedient programmed children. As if America doesn't have enough of them, now they are programming them from even younger age.

Don't allow it please, Nazis had similar activities.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Population chart year 2000

So we need to spend 500 MILLION on less than 40 million kids?

The 40 million number is all kids 9 and under in the year 2000 by US census.

Maybe my math skills are lacking but 500/40= WTF?

Brilliant Indeeed!

Me thinks restraints and medication would be cheaper LOL

May we eat cake now?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher
Well first should the education department be scrapped I mean lets look at the results from past and present to find out that answer. And as to the new plan I mean yeah I hav ebeen called an Obama basher. But this plans seems to say that most of the children have or is trying to address those specific children who have ADD ADHD. Can't sit still? Theuir children!!!

The results, past to present? well, our education system was a major part of the reason why the United States used to top the charts in education, income, standard of living, health, etc. We start slipping from those high rankings when people like you started demanding that the government start shredding education, because you'd rather your tax money be spent on killing poor people in faraway countries, rather than educating kids at home.

other than that? Yeah, this is stupid. People need to stop thinking that wriggly kids have some sort of behavioral or psychological problem. As you say, they're kids, that's how kids are, and how they've always been. If the people pushing this initiative were kids who never wriggled or goofed off, well, I think that may be one of the root problems, there.
edit on 2/6/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

OR we can just actually hire GOOD TEACHERS
wow
no one thought of that in the white house...
lets just find an excuse to put us further in debt.
no wonder they do not want a limit.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Before we attack the problem of pre-kindergardners, how about we tackle the problem of lowering the standards expected of highschoolers and middle schoolers?

I mean, what is the point of having them better prepared at age 5, if we aren't going to expect anything out of them for the next 12 years?

Restore the ability to flunk students, and expel students, and discipline students. Raise the standards and expectations, and make kids earn their grades and their diplomas.

Once we get all of that straightened out, then maybe we can look at preschoolers.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Before we attack the problem of pre-kindergardners, how about we tackle the problem of lowering the standards expected of highschoolers and middle schoolers?

I mean, what is the point of having them better prepared at age 5, if we aren't going to expect anything out of them for the next 12 years?

Restore the ability to flunk students, and expel students, and discipline students. Raise the standards and expectations, and make kids earn their grades and their diplomas.

Once we get all of that straightened out, then maybe we can look at preschoolers.

And how about education instead of indoctrination.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join