It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Season just started for 2011 - Jun 1st

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The official prediction is nine hurricanes and five major hurricanes this year.

Seems kind of odd to me, that they think that large of a percentage would be major ones (i.e. more than half the storms).

Guess we'll see.

For those who don't know, I'm on the West coast of Florida, so chances are at least one will affect us in some way (even if just a lot of rain).

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Thank God!

I live on a canal feeding out to a big lake

The canal is all but a tiny stream now...you can walk out and simply pick up a fish if your hungry. given a month more and it would be a smelly sand pit.

I have never seen it this dry before (east coast Florida). we need the rain...time to sacrifice a chicken or something to get the water back. I hope that we get a few massive storms hovering over the state for a few days just to make up for whatever the hell is going on here. but, hopefully we don't lose electricity at the same time.

Remember the year of the hurricanes? we lost electricity for 17 days...some lost it for a month in my area. you know how difficult life is in florida with no electricity for weeks? you know how difficult mental health is without internet for just as long? heh.

hurricanes are a mixed blessing/curse. I prefer tropical depressions.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I remember watching with ya in the Hurricane thread last year. Good luck this year and I hope nothing strikes the US coast.

There is some all-inclusive thread that was made about hurricane this year, I'll try to find the link, as I had it saved, but as the thread lost interest, I lost it as well.

Hopefully it will gain some following with the season upon us, if not, maybe someone should do a different watch (not enough time myself).

Once again, good luck man!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yes indeed it has, I have rode out so many, there is nothing I am not prepared for. Katrina helped me upgrade my
system, that one was a bitch, but now I have a worst case scenario system that would allow comfortable survival for a extended period of time.

People need to pay close attention this year, the way all the twisters are going down in place they have no business in can't be a good omen for a extremely early hot gulf stream. I would not be surprised to see 3-5 cat 5 that threaten land this year, I think at least one pretty bad one will hit somewhere around August when they start flying off Africa like dominos.

Strap in folks, I will be giving a good journal with vids and other things this time around if we get that misfortune.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for the info, interesting thread, S&F.

I was wondering how they can do such predictions? I mean, what are their basis?

Searching for statistics, I came up with this that is from the Weather Underground site, from 1851 to 2010, 2005 being the most active year since records have been made.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Below is the official list of hurricane names for the upcoming season!

Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Don
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irene
Jose
Katia
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rina
Sean
Tammy
Vince
Whitney

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Its been 6 years since Katrina so with all these major hurricanes predicted for this year its a little uncomfortable living along the gulf or southeast coast. I think the forecasters feel the higher than normal sea surface temperatures along with other long term patterns such as the neutral ENSO warrant the higher than normal number of majors predicted.

Some high density population areas like Miami have about a 1 in 10 chance of a major hurricane making landfall in any given year. Hurricane Andrew back in 1992 was the last Cat 4 or stronger storm for Miami.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by unicomsol

Thank God!

I live on a canal feeding out to a big lake

The canal is all but a tiny stream now...you can walk out and simply pick up a fish if your hungry. given a month more and it would be a smelly sand pit.

I have never seen it this dry before (east coast Florida). we need the rain...time to sacrifice a chicken or something to get the water back. I hope that we get a few massive storms hovering over the state for a few days just to make up for whatever the hell is going on here. but, hopefully we don't lose electricity at the same time.

Remember the year of the hurricanes? we lost electricity for 17 days...some lost it for a month in my area. you know how difficult life is in florida with no electricity for weeks? you know how difficult mental health is without internet for just as long? heh.

hurricanes are a mixed blessing/curse. I prefer tropical depressions.

I live near the southeast coast of Texas. I just talked to a local farmer where we occasionally buy farm-fresh vegetables from, and he was saying they're having trouble getting hay for the cattle, He's not sure what he's going to do if we don't get a break. And there's no grass for them to graze on. We haven't had ANY spring showers or wet summer storms either. I share your preference, we REALLY need some tropical depressions......

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Already some small things to watch...two small disturbances, one with a 10% chance of further development, and one with a 20% chance.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

edit - found the 2011 watch www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2-6-2011 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Emily is on the way(?)
you have 4 days, sir, if i am not mistaken by this information.

new topics

top topics

join