It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad Judge? Can anyone fill me in on my legal rights here?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
A year and a half ago one of our "friends" gave us her dog to take care of. She said it was ours. She didn't want the dog back. Well 7 months later she called us and told us she wanted her dog back and legally she would get her dog back. We told her at that time that if she was to get the dog we wanted to be payed for 7 months worth of taking care of the dog and love. She dropped it. (Legally the dog is ours by gift laws)

Fast forward to today. One year and 6 months later she calls us up and tells us that she has a court order for us to give her the dog. Well Im calling BS.

On what grounds does she have for that?

Is a judge in her pocket? Is this a conspiracy? XD some help from the greatest minds on the internet would be great.

If I didnt make myself clear just ask and Ill explain more.

edit: Isn't it illegal to pretend to have a court order?

edit on 6/2/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/2/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Yes, it's very illegal. I'd call the police, and tell them your story. At the very least they will be able to steer you in the correct direction, on how to find out what you should do. I personally don't think it's possible to get a 'court order' without even talking to the other party involved!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Sounds like your dealing with a nut case! keep the dog, get the police involved for sure to set this crazy person straight. She is for sure in the wrong here. good luck

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
>> She
>> Woman
>> Compulsive liars

Your gravy OP, just ignore that crackfox.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

This dog situation has happend to atleast 2 other people i used to know. In the end it went both ways but police were never involved, just a lot of heated debate.

i have seen a few TV judge shows where this has gone on as well. i recall it going in favor of the new owner if i am not mistaken.

all that said, dont give in to this woman unless police take the dog away from you themselves. someone that can just give away an animal like that and then try to take it away from its new owners shouldnt be allowed to have pets.

interceptor

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
first of all if she says she has a order did you see it??
you say she doesnt how do you know that??
as for the dog america sue me sue you country.
Ok so she had a problem in life and left her dog with you thinking ill never be able to keep the dog i love so much so ill give the dog to my friend who i trust to take care of it.
Hey great person alest she didnt dump it in a pound.
anyway so she comes to find ou GREAT NEWS i can take care of my dog who is like part of the family after all.
ok so she comes back and ask can i have my dog back??
and you say in your greed NO NOT UNLESS YOU PAY ME FOR THE UP KEEP.
7 months hu?? up keep ?? what 5 pound bag of food a week?? or even lets say ten at 6$ per week
this is all the up keep a dog requires we BOTH KNOW THAT . please dont start saying you payed 10k for shots and vet bills save your self we all know that would be bull as well .
all shots needed for a dog IN PUPPY STAGE come under 25$
so save it ok so 6$ a week for 7 months . PS this is BIG dog by the way.a small dog would be half .
anyway 6 x 30 weeks thats o my 180$ wow pay me you PAY ME NOW .
you are a greedy person who cares not about the dog but about how much you can squeze this person for .
she loves that dog and you cry over a few bucks in dog food??? you should be ashamed of your self .
But i degress american is as american does greeed GIVE ME MONEY MONEY MONEY even if i have to step on your love to get it.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Yes, it's very illegal. I'd call the police, and tell them your story. At the very least they will be able to steer you in the correct direction, on how to find out what you should do. I personally don't think it's possible to get a 'court order' without even talking to the other party involved!

On what grounds would she get a court order? Aren't there possession laws? We've had this dog for over a year and been taking care of it that long. She hasn't contacted us about the dog for months now.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This sounds like a case for........

JUDGE JUDY!!!!

Yep

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Careful if calling the police. They might just shoot the dog. Leashed or free or in a crate they've been known to shoot dogs on site regardless of the dogs status, size, age, distance, etc...

You may end up with some Solomon situation here.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
try ignoring her till you actually see the police at your door. or just give her the dog back and get one of your own!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

ok so she comes back and ask can i have my dog back?? and you say in your greed NO NOT UNLESS YOU PAY ME FOR THE UP KEEP. 7 months hu?? up keep ?? what 5 pound bag of food a week??

Well there is more to the story than that. It wasn't greed it was that she doesn't care about the dog. She needs it back to properly get divorced. She isn't a good person.

We aren't her friend. We were stupid to ever be her friend.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Careful if calling the police. They might just shoot the dog. Leashed or free or in a crate they've been known to shoot dogs on site regardless of the dogs status, size, age, distance, etc...

Maybe city police. The locally Sheriffs Department wouldn't do that to us.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
She needs it back to properly get divorced??

This makes no sense to me? Even if it were true, why can you not help her out so she can get her divorce finalised?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

she loves that dog and you cry over a few bucks in dog food??? you should be ashamed of your self . But i degress american is as american does greeed GIVE ME MONEY MONEY MONEY even if i have to step on your love to get it.

I would react here but as I said she isn't a good person. We're a better home for the dog. She flirted all over everyone if you get my point.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bee2010
She needs it back to properly get divorced??

This makes no sense to me? Even if it were true, why can you not help her out so she can get her divorce finalised?

It was like her husbands dog. Its a long story.

He needs it back.They don't care for the dog. They just need their property in order before they finalize the divorce papers. Isn't that how it works?

This is a mess. This girl is a nut and it's horrible.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ask her to see the order .. then verify its legit .. then inquire why you were not summoned to court to contest it in the first place. I think shes bluffing because if she did have an order, the cops would habe come to enforce it by now.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Contact a lawyer. Have all your vet bills handy (I know they're expensive). If it comes down to it and you love your dog. Fight to keep your buddy. He/She is part of your pack now. Be careful though if this friend lives nearby, they may well try to steal or kill the dog.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Ask her to see the order .. then verify its legit .. then inquire why you were not summoned to court to contest it in the first place. I think shes bluffing because if she did have an order, the cops would habe come to enforce it by now.

Thanks for the help I will definitively do this. The Sheriff Department will probably be showing up soon to like chill and make sure she doesn't try to steal our dog.

I'm thinking she's lieing also because when we asked she said "The judge is just telling me this. This is what I want to do. I don't need to see your letter." (We wrote a letter months ago in response to her original stupid claim)

She doesn't need to see our papers? Weird to me.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It would come down to the judge actually. It is her property if she has proof of it no matter the time limit as she could say you were just watching it, yes even for a year.

However a judge will look at the evidence such as what you've done for the dog compared to her, the amount of time you've had it, the expense you've incurred (the main one here), and he will more than likely award it to you.

If she has inquired about the dog frequentely or sent money to help you pay for it, set up vet apps. and stuff like that than she would more than likely get it in that situation.

Regardless you can either wait until she makes the next step if she's not bluffing or take it to court yourself if you wish to be rid of her.

Odds are she will forget about it but if she does push it and get police involved the dog will more than likely be put up in a shelter until the issue is resolved.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Personally, i think she is full of it. As far as i know one cannot just go *get* a court order without some type or court proceeding, which would involve BOTH parties.

So, i would just ignore her until you receive a subpoena to appear, or until a cop shows up at your door with an order or to reclaim possession (because she can't just go get an order and reclaim possession herself, i am pretty sure). If she shows up with some kind of "order" i would read it carefully, copy it if possible, note any and all names and phones numbers on it, and not give her the dog until there is a third party (police) present.

I would not calls the police myself, but i would call the DA's office or an attorney and ask a few questions, unless she comes and steals it, starts harassing you, or other such things.

Originally posted by windword
This sounds like a case for........

JUDGE JUDY!!!!

Yep

Totally.

And i know how JJ would rule too: in the new owner's favor (i think i have seen a similar episode), OR she would definitely require the old owner to pay for boarding in the event the dog was returned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join