It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A female Navy Seal? not yet.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It's interesting that some males require holding to the thought that women are inferior. When all else fails, they can cling to that, I suppose. tsk tsk.

There is no denying that the male and female skeletal and muscular structures are different. If these military groups were all about hand-to-hand combat, I could see the logic.

We now use sophisticated weaponry, and women who want to - can use those just as well. Why shouldn't she be able to?

A woman also knows herself. Me? Count me out, I'd rather sit in my nice cool office with freshly cut flowers on my desk. I know I'm not cut out for war. I know myself. But the women who know they can do these things, should be trained and given the right to do them, as any other.
edit on 6/3/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
trying to embed,

edit on 3-6-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think the point you have made about the military not having a problem introducing new weapons will be the only way to ever address this issue. The way the military usually brings in new equipment is by training a new group that works solely with that new equipment. After the new division works for long enough for tried and true strategies and methods to be created without interfering with the positive gains of current tactics the new tech is usually brought into the broader range of military divisions. If we are going to ever see women brought into the seals, they would probably first create a mixed division with similar group oriented methods for approaching operations and test them until they worked out the kinks.

We may already have divisions training for this currently. If the old men in the military and their analysts see a definite gain from their current practices they will implement a mixed gender squad makeup to the Seals eventually. That's if they take the time to have the data put infront of them. I think what you are saying about technology assisted soldiers would come about before this happens unfortunately. When we have something that does most of the work for us, such as power armor or other mechanical frames, we will definitely see a mixed gender representation. But of course that's going against what this topic is about. We will definitely be moving away from working together as humanity and working together with intelligent life (tech and bio).

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
to me this is a question of physics the female body is amazing on many levels but not as good as the male body at one maybe two things and one of those is navy seal. how bout what good are you in combat if you cant toss a 200 lb teammate on your back and run while your under fire? then your a liability. that goes for everyone on a navy seal team(any special ops) they operate far from help under extreme conditions. im all for equal rights( means the most qualified person gets the job) i think women should crush men at a variety of jobs, like, tank comander or fighter/helicopter pilot jobs where the ability to multitask would be a huge advantage, everything is computer screens and missiles now. but why is the world chess champion,pool champion(billiards to some), and im sure a whole lot of other examples always a male? chess requires no physical stats what so ever and untill women dominate the world chess league or at least make up approx. 50% they cant really say that we are equal at every job. though women have their own strengths and are better at some jobs then men. in a combat/military you have use the best/most effective people out of your available pool for the jobs that need to be done. and you cant change the test for anyone(race sex religion are quite irrelevant). i do agree that having more women in more combat situations would be good for the military especially in todays urban war/police action because they have differant strengths/weaknesses not because they can everyting a man can do/as well as man can, they cant. so in a sense with a fair and unbiased test that fits the job if women start qualifing to be navy seals and then beat out enough people to be navys seal and then operate as navy seals at a higher level than everyone trying to take their job then yes they should be allowed to be navy seals,(same for men) though if there is a strategic or tactical advantage/necesity and i believe that more women in more jobs would be an advantage then they we should encourage more women to go for these jobs. what ever kills the least soldiers on our side (and sadly the most on our enemies side) is what i think would be best.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I Like to point out that there are woman working 'with' Spec Ops but 'NOT' in 'Direct Action' Operations.
Their roles are mainly limited to 'Support' only. I know this for a fact.
However, with that said there are woman working in civilian elite Government Teams, but as you know Civilian Ops and Military Ops are way too different. Civilian Operations are smaller in scale and time. Their roles are mainly squad assistance(ie. Snipers, Explosive Expert, Plan/Tactics Assistant and such).
Since Military ops are the opposite of civilians and much lager in Time/Conflict Size. Woman are limited to Pilots, Communications, Intelligence(Satellite feed/maps/) and such.

Bottom line is....
If woman one day are allowed to serve as part of a squad/team in Direct Action, it would 'First' most likely be in the INFANTRY. This would be the evaluation phase for them and after several years of(all eyes on them) I'm sure they would be allowed to serve in Spec Ops in Limited Roles/Operations. Until then, nothing will happen.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

To those of you posting videos of women doing pull ups I have to say that I'm impressed with the strength of some women. I'm still doing negatives since I can't do repeated pull ups. Still again I have to defer that these women are not competing against average guys like me, they would be up against and trying to push out the best of the best for a spot.

If women are equal physically, then why doesn't the Olympics have a still ring competition for women? Nothing preventing this but the fact that women just don't have that much physical power.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Do you need to pull your body weight on rings to fire a gun at OBL?

Just making a point. Seems to me you would need excellent vision, intelligence, agility, and a thorough knowledge of your weapon. Above all, a personality that does well with instruction, authority, and the willingness to use said weapon.
edit on 6/3/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen3273676

It doesn't matter how fit or strong anyone is, if they are not dedicated. Dedication is one of the main issues with males, not their strength. The males that get to try out for seals are strong enough and fit enough, they are just no dedicated enough.

You will hear all the males say that they are going to complete seal selection and that the instructor have to throw them out before they give up, but that is before the selections has started.

I have seen many females who are capable of passing seal selections, Its just that they don't want to try out.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Of course you don't always need strength but when the time comes when you need it then you need it. You don't have to be able to swim 500 yards to pull a trigger. Why do they practice running with sand bags? Would they do that in combat? No, but these are all resources you can draw from if the need arises. Say for instance that your chopper crashes and you didn't land in Osama's back yard but you now have to sprint across an open field and climb a 12 foot wall with 50 lbs. of gear on your back. What exercise are you doing? Now running a distance with weight comes into play, and yep, it's a pull up to get over the wall.

It takes both mental ability and physical ability to be a SEAL. If either aspect is lacking you could end up with mission failure so their selection choices will only include those in the best mental and physical shape. Women will always fall short on the physical requirements compared to their male counterparts.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Absolutely do not lower the standard to allow women to pass, but if a woman can pass the test as is she should be allowed. S+F Nixie!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

In the beginning of selections non of the students know how to use their weapons properly.
They dont even know why they have to adjust the strap on their weapon. They dont know what to focus on when shooting. And they don't know how to reload a new mag. They can't count how many shoots they have fired. They dont know how to hold the weapon when reloading and what to focus on.
They don't know how to shift from primary to secondary weapon. They don't know where to put their primary weapon as they pick their secondary.

When it comes to the use of their secondary weapon they have to start all over again.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Of course you don't always need strength but when the time comes when you need it then you need it. You don't have to be able to swim 500 yards to pull a trigger. Why do they practice running with sand bags? Would they do that in combat? No, but these are all resources you can draw from if the need arises. Say for instance that your chopper crashes and you didn't land in Osama's back yard but you now have to sprint across an open field and climb a 12 foot wall with 50 lbs. of gear on your back. What exercise are you doing? Now running a distance with weight comes into play, and yep, it's a pull up to get over the wall.

It takes both mental ability and physical ability to be a SEAL. If either aspect is lacking you could end up with mission failure so their selection choices will only include those in the best mental and physical shape. Women will always fall short on the physical requirements compared to their male counterparts.

A male or a female would probably not know how to do any of those things efficiently until they have completed seal training.
Learning how to do things properly is why they have seal training in the first place. When it comes to strength, a female can work at becoming stronger just like men do. They can carry a sand bag to. And after seal training a lot of students are a lot more fit then they were before they started seal training.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Because this is about having it all, mental, emotional and physical strength.

Does anyone even know that protocol on how they sort potential SEALS out?

When giving a mission, or assignment every team member must be in top shape, on every level, no excuse because the team is only as strong, as its weakest link.

If a female cannot carry a wounded team mate, or carry, lift or handle heavy equipment, then they just created a weak link and could compromise a mission.

The reason they put recruits through such harsh training is the fact they are weeding out the weak, again no excuses or different basic training extended, they want the strongest, fastest, and most mentally fit males.

Same reason they match female boxers, up against male boxers.

edit on 3-6-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

First of all , the 6 trial women they did try. Three of them flunked before Hell week due to physical injuries. The other 3 quit the first week. These women met all men physical requirements to enter BUD/S and they were hand picked by the Navy for their physical fitness. All 6 had major bone decay (Holes) scattering their bones by the second week .... you got 6 more months men showed slight bone decay at the end of hell week. The worse part of BUD/S.

Again ,i cant say this enough . WOMEN are a distraction to men , you can say you arnt or anything , but you when you have 11 other seals around you that are muscled up from head to toe , your gonna be looking , same for the woman WHICH IS NOT GOOD.

So if the good LORD blesses your body and allows you through special forces selection. Then special forces training. Youll still be a distraction.

Whoever was complaining about Wikileaks saying that we dont mind Shooting WOMEN and CHILDREN. You're right , we dont. If you carry a weapon and you point it at me or my platoon. Im gonna kill you and bash your skull , whether your a Child/Woman/Man. They train you not to discriminate in Special Units in any way.

I cant say this enough. Stop trying to prove that Women are Stronger and Smarter. They arnt. Which i dont care if your smarter , weaker , whatever. I could care less , just stay out of the Special Units way and you can do whatever the hell you want. I dont care (I still have a probem with infantry however i feel our Military will learn the hardway when we fight a trained disciplined army , and they are told to kill women first , we are going to have more casualities)

Again , i dont Care what the hell you do in this world as most people dont care either. Go run , who cares , go be a Body builder , who cares. Join the Military who Cares. Dont join the military to get notice because this isnt High School ... you dont get it. Your job is to do your job so well that the Civilian population doesnt have to get a crap about anything going on in this world. People complain about that , yeah , it may be ignorant , but i guess the Military is doing its job if they have no worries.

Who ever posted about the Combat Swimmer training , good job. I dont know who told you couldnt do it , they were an idiot. The only real problem with women , is ground pounding , as it destroys their joints and bones much faster than it does men , which causes bone fractures even complete breaks.

O and by the way , if you are wonering why i am so against women being combat zones PERIOD.
Saw this girls boyfriend get shot when we were at a mobile resupply point. He got hit in the groin. She looks at him , i told her to get the # back yet she runs out across the #in road to her butt buddy that was dead any way severed a #in artery. She runs out their gets shot twice , once in the chest once in the gut. If you have ever seen a cat get shot , i suggest you look it up. She flopped around like a fish and making these horrendous noises tearing her intestines open on the ground and tearing some off. I thought about shooting her to end her suffereing. # WOMEN being in the military. # IT. Never seen a man die like that , only that woman which was #in stupid , she paniced and if she would have layed there and relaxed she would have died a lot quicker , tried to crawl to us , we arnt running out there to get your ass if your dumb enough to run in the open , this # is real life , this isnt #in Call of Duty.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

A man might master his own body of 200 lbs, as well as a women who has mastered her own structure of 125 lbs. When one has mastered their own frame....they are both fundamentally equals in that regard. I'm not saying women have the physical strength of men. That would be a point foolish to argue. My point is that in our time of life, physical strength is not the be all end all in these matters as it once was.

Of couse the people on the OBL mission were hand-picked for the mission, and were selected based on desirable characteristics for that specific mission. Some, for whatever reasons, were passed over for someone with more of the desired traits. Women should be in the mix. If they are not the best selection for a particular mission, then the rejection should not be based on gender.

I wish we could see those who were in the "running" for OBL mission. I bet there were SEALS who were sent in who had less physical strength than others who were rejected based on other characteristics and expertise.

Plus, women can be very brave. Yes. Brave, courageous, and determined. Those are traits to be considered also. Important traits.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

I dont know what to say. If you compare all the men who have flunked out to 6 females, you are missing some understanding of this.

Seals are not trained to kill every threat. They are thought to evaluate every threat and if there is a need to kill. Big difference.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
There are other aspects as well that come up. Some cultures won't work directly with women and it's not as if we can just shoot them if we're wanting their help. I was part of a 50 man team deployed to Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm. Several of the women in our unit griped that we had a "No women allowed" policy for the deployment but it was necessary. You see we we're going to be driving on public roads and first of all it's illegal for women to drive in Saudi Arabia so they wouldn't be able to complete the mission if it meant they needed to drive. Secondly we had to make purchases from local suppliers in one-on-one transactions. Again women were not allowed to do this.

Disqualified. Not because they couldn't drive or buy things (God knows women can spend the money) but due to social issues in the host country.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Let me apologize beforehand, but I do not believe a woman is capable of succeeding in becoming a SEAL or any other special forces division, concerning combat. I do believe they are probably better then men in some cases as far as support. I look at it this way, I weigh 217 pounds, 370 pound max bench press, 830 pound leg press, 215 pound overhead press, and I can tell you right now that there is absolutely NO possible way I would be able to pass the SEALS training. I have great strength but lack in endurance. I swim fast but cannot swim long distances. The training is unbelievable! Either it is in your genes or it is not, and it isn't in mine. A woman's physiology is completely different than a mans. I know there are many strong women in this world but it takes many, many different capabilities and women are missing some of those. As much as I want to see American women in Elite Forces, it will never happen because they are not built for it. As far as taking pain, women cannot take more physical pain than a man. I had a ruptured appendix last year and was in so much pain, I kept vomiting. It took my wife to make a call to 911 to get me to go to the emergency room. Thankfully she did, because I would not be here right now. Three weeks ago, while working on my truck, I sliced off completely the tip of my index finger. I did not go to the hospital, but instead did home care. I just lived with the indescribable pain.....................but I still could NOT make it as a SEAL.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'm sorry but Women and Men are chemically different, emotionally different, and physically different.

A man is not a woman and a woman is not a man. I'm all for equal rights but there are honestly things that women can do that men cant and vise-versa.

there are many things to consider before letting women into the SEALS, one of them is how effective of a move will it be? Times are hard for the military and the last thing they are going to do is implement a new untested variable into one of their most elite units.

I'm not saying it wont happen, there is just alot to consider. Like I said earlier Women and Men are different one is not better than the other there are just things each can do that the other cant.
edit on 3-6-2011 by Towloc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Tis the day when woman capture males and rape them.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join