It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Schools are Rethinking Zero Tolerance Policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
About time.
We hear so much news with the TSA and stuff about how people are getting infringed upon, it is nice to hear a story of a public entity backing off.
Suspending kids from school for stupid things like carrying advil, needs to stop.
It is a hardship on the parent, student, and community alike. And highly unneccessary.
I had the brother of a boyfriend once carted off to a mental institution and drugged up for four months for getting mad at a teach and saying I am gonna kill you.

Here are examples from the article:

"The shift is a quiet counterpoint to a long string of high-profile cases about severe punishments for childhood misjudgments. In recent months, a high school lacrosse player was suspended in Easton, Md., and led away in handcuffs for having a pocketknife in his gear bag that he said was for fixing lacrosse sticks. Earlier, a teenager in the Virginia community of Spotsylvania was expelled for blowing plastic pellets through a tube at classmates"

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is a good sign.

To add to this trend of pulling back from the brink most states as well as the federal government are using the budget problems as an opportunity to look at massive prison reforms and ending mandatory sentencing.

There's just no room for everybody to be crazy anymore.

Whether it's expelling a child for drawing a gun or locking up some pot head for 5 years.

It's just sad that all of those who have suffered under the reign of ignorance and superstition, this modern dark age, will still have to live with the scars of mob stupidity all over their bodies.

Society can't erase the scars of the whips. Which begs the question, why is society so quick to whip in the first place?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Definitely a good sign!

I had a little cousin that got expelled for carrying tylenol to school with her. The school won't supply things like tylenol without a note from a doctor, but they won't let the parents send it to school with the kid either? And yet, they require good attendance, so if you are nursing a mild ailment, you might require medication?

The policies have gotten way out of hand, so it is nice to see them drifting back into the realm of common sense!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
When I was in school, I was expected to have pencils, pens, paper, and a pen knife. A pen knife was just as much a tool as anything else. It was actually on the "things to have before starting school" list. And the town I live in is not some backwoods redneck village.

But under the current "No Tolerance" a.k.a. "No Sense" rules, my son (same city that I went to school in) got suspended for carrying a pen knife to school. 1.5 inch blade. He forgot it was in his pocket and he took it to the office to have them hold it for him, and he got suspended!

Fortunately the leadership at his school knows he's not a troublemaker, but they were hamstrung by this draconic policy to let it slide. I'm glad that it looks like common sense may be making a comeback.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
They want to regulate allergy medicine and cough drops and do that successfully while they can't even regulate what they claim is an epidemic (marijuana, cigarettes).

Just leave those kids smoking on school grounds while you pursue the distributors of advil and halls. Great policy.

Ron Paul needs to be elected already and put an end to the war on drugs. The most pointless, costly, life threatening, job securing mess in the world.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

These are the same people who are in charge of the Education for the US and wonder why it is such a dismal failure. How can people who have absolute no common sense teach anybody anything. They can't. There is more money pumped into the education system here than anywhere else on the planet. It would be bad enough to implement a cradle to grave society if it worked. However everything they touch is a total failure. All of their programs, their twisted up text books, and their social engineering needs flushed straight down the toilet.

new topics

top topics

join