It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Knowledge Cools Computers: New Understanding of Entropy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Full story HERE

In the case of perfect classical knowledge of a computer memory (zero entropy), deletion of the data requires in theory no energy at all. The researchers prove that "more than complete knowledge" from quantum entanglement with the memory (negative entropy) leads to deletion of the data being accompanied by removal of heat from the computer and its release as usable energy. This is the physical meaning of negative entropy. Renner emphasizes, however, "This doesn't mean that we can develop a perpetual motion machine." The data can only be deleted once, so there is no possibility to continue to generate energy. The process also destroys the entanglement, and it would take an input of energy to reset the system to its starting state. The equations are consistent with what's known as the second law of thermodynamics: the idea that the entropy of the universe can never decrease. Vedral says "We're working on the edge of the second law. If you go any further, you will break it."

After being involved in the current thread on over-unity devices, this part seemed very interesting to me. Although, as it says in the article, it cannot be used to actually harvest energy, as energy is required to store the information in the first place. I am very curios of the efficiency in that type of system though, how much of the original energy could be released again? It can't be 100% or else that would mean that the act of deletion required no energy at all right?

Some of this stuff is way over my head, but most of the stuff I could understand still amazed me. It seems we keep finding out incredible things about the quantum world, really makes you wonder where we could be in the next 100 years if we survive that long.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I agree, my knowledge of quantem knowledge is limited, yet it seems recently that there has been an increase in positive results.

It feels as if the entire world, is going to change due to a scientific breakthrough very soon ...
edit on 2-6-2011 by WordPlayJAy because: typo

join