It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of Armed Militia Descending on Yemen's Capital - Happening Now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
This is just coming out right now.

www.zawya.com...

SANAA, Jun 02, 2011 (AFP) - Thousands of armed tribesmen were headed towards Sanaa on Thursday to back their leader Sheikh Sadiq al-Ahmar, whose fighters are locked in deadly battles with Yemen's security forces, tribal leaders said.

This cant turn out well. Thousands of armed opposition are descending on the currently engaged government troops in the capital.

Fighting between the opposition and government has been ongoing for nearly 2 weeks now, with the opposition capturing many government buildings, and capturing cities.

www.abc6.com...

SANAA, Yemen (AP) - A Yemeni army officer who defected from President Ali Abdullah Saleh's camp says government forces and armed tribesmen who sided with the opposition have fought new street battles overnight in the capital Sanaa, leaving dozens killed and injured.

The officer also says that thousands of armed tribesmen have fought the Yemeni army about 10 miles (15 kilometers) from the city in an effort to push toward Sanaa.

He says the tribesmen captured 30 soldiers from the elite Republican Guard but released them later. The officer spoke on condition of anonymity, which is customary among the military.

If the militia can capture the governments elite troops, I doubt they will last long once the thousands reach the capital.
edit on 2-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Plus the government has now dispacted reinforcements to Sanaa

english.aljazeera.net...

According to Mohamed al-Qadhi, a Yemen-based journalist, the government is sending reinforcements to Sanaa, especially to areas near Hasaba.

"I think [the government forces] are preparing for a massive attack in [Hasaba]," al-Qadhi told Al Jazeera. The current crisis began after more than three months of nationwide protests calling for the ouster of Saleh, who has been in power since 1978.

Edit - This is the most recent video Ive found involving the battle in Yemen. Its in arabic I think, so I dont understand what the reporter is saying, but the video description says that the fighting has begun to spread and the opposition has captured buildings in the north-west and southern areas of the city

CNN is now reporting this.

www.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- A group of about 1,000 armed tribesmen were seen by residents entering the capital of Yemen early Thursday saying they are supporting Sheikh Sadeq Al-Ahmar, a leader of a tribe who has been in street battles with government forces recently.

A breaking news banner on Yemen state television Thursday proclaimed that government forces had beat back tribesman loyal to Al-Ahmar from areas of the capital near the Ministry of Tourism building.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Que the UN and US, Lindsay williams said Yemen was next to be invaded.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
It seems clear now that the full NWO takeover is in full swing.

Remember Obomber and Chameleon's recent statement that they are going to change the world, or something along those lines?

That was them launching the final phase, imo.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I remember Linsdey Williams saying Yemen was next, and I think he's right. I would guess Syria may be the next to fall after Yemen

Looks like the fighting has caused the airport in the city to close

my.news.yahoo.com...

Flights to Sanaa's airport were halted on Thursday, an aviation official told AFP, as deadly fighting raged between armed tribesmen and security forces on the streets of the Yemeni capital.

Im not sure who will be the one to take Saleh's place. Im guessing the US will try to put in another one who is friendly towards the US, but its still a bit early to tell what all will take place.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Finally the demonstrators took arms. They have been getting massacred for weeks, yet no one called it a massacre.

Yemen is an actual Massacre, Libya there was no Massacre, but just claims that a Massacre would occur if there is no intervention.

Propaganda plays a huge role in wars. When the world of the 21st century comes to that realization, they can make a difference.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
According to al-jazeera, the fighting in Sanaa has spread pretty quickly over many neighborhoods.

blogs.aljazeera.net...

29 min 51 sec ago - YemenHakim Al Masmari, editor of the Yemen Post, told Al Jazeera that Sanaa residents are fleeing as fighting spreads to more than 15 neighborhoods around the capital.

www.yemenpost.net...

Strong clashes between the Yemeni government and Hashed tribesmen are taking place in the southern region of Sanaa, near the residence of Hussein Ahmar, on 50th street of the capital Sana'a.

The Ahmar family have at least four residence in the area. Locals fear that the fighting will spread to different areas part of the capital after they were mostly focused in northern Sana'a.. At least 400 families have evacuated their homes in the last two hours, eyewitnesses said.

www.zawya.com...

Update - Looks like thousands are fleeing from the city now

SANAA, Jun 02, 2011 (AFP) - Deadly fighting raged between armed tribesmen and security forces on the streets of Sanaa Thursday, sending thousands of residents fleeing and closing the Yemeni capital's airport, witnesses said.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Found this article that has a video from battle last night.

Pretty heavy gunfire and some AA being shot into the air.

This Is What Gunfire Sounds Like in Yemen at Night

reply to post by confreak

Ive seen a few people on the news today calling Yemen worse than Libya now. It has been worse than Libya for awhile now. Syria is getting pretty bad now to.

Edit - Im not sure if the video above is from last nights battle, or from tonights battle.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TimeCrisis
Que the UN and US, Lindsay williams said Yemen was next to be invaded.

NO he didn't..Yemen wasn't even on the list bud. It went Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Somalia and then Iran. Yemen, like Egypt, is UN and US ally. They do not want to see Saleh go no matter what they say. The countries in that list I provided are the ones they are after. Iraq is taken care of, Libya is ongoing and Syria seems to be next.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by confreak

Finally the demonstrators took arms. They have been getting massacred for weeks, yet no one called it a massacre.

Yemen is an actual Massacre, Libya there was no Massacre, but just claims that a Massacre would occur if there is no intervention.

Propaganda plays a huge role in wars. When the world of the 21st century comes to that realization, they can make a difference.

Actually there was a massacre in Libya. But it was at the hands of the Libyan rebels.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

thanks for the new reports buni...you're one of the only ones really reporting much on it here...keep up the good work man I'll be watching as usual...it's turning into a warzone though...I honestly think their government leader should have stepped down to prevent this from happening...these people are tired of a dictatorship me thinks

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

I honestly think their government leader should have stepped down to prevent this from happening

He said he would multiple times before, but always backed out at the last minute. Today however, the US sent our top counter-terrorism official to pressue Saleh to quit.

news.yahoo.com...

U.S. envoy John Brennan left Saudi Arabia on Thursday for more talks on Yemen in the United Arab Emirates, a U.S. official in Saudi Arabia said. He will seek the help of the two countries' leaders to pressure Saleh to accept the exit deal.

I also caught this in that article.

Saudi Arabia, which has strong, longstanding ties with Yemeni tribes, is likely to try to apply another round of pressure on Saleh to step aside to avert disaster in a country of 23 million that is awash with guns.

Im thinking that we finally know where the militia is getting their heavy weapons from.

Other than that, it looks like the fighiting is getting worse at the moment. Not too much new info other than al-jazeera blog at the moment.

blogs.aljazeera.net...

20 min ago - YemenFighting is flaring up in the Yemeni capital. Latest reports say protesters were fired upon with live bullets and flights are suspended at Sanaa's international airport.Sources tell Al Jazeera that thousands are now fleeing the capital. In the past few hours there have been reports of pro-government fighters firing Katyusha rockets towards the home of prominent opposition tribal leader, Sadeq al-Ahmar.

I believe the Yemen airport has caught on fire not too long ago to.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Big development -

Looks like the military defectors have started fighting, plus Saleh is barley hanging in there.

Heavy Fighting in Yemen’s Capital as Saleh Seeks to Retain Power

Fighting in Sana’a between President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s security forces and supporters of al-Ahmar, leader of the Hashid, Yemen’s most influential tribe, intensified as it continued into a fifth day after the breakdown of a truce mediated by tribal leaders.

Men in plain clothes opened fire on protesters gathered in a square near Sana’a University, wounding at least six, Mohammed Saeed, a protester, said by telephone. Soldiers from the First Armored Division, who defected to the opposition and are protecting the protesters at the site, fired back, he said. There was no immediate report from hospitals on the number killed in the latest clashes around the city.

I believe the First Armored Division is the largest armored division in Yemen, and they are opposed to Saleh.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Saleh is criminal and he knows it...hence why he is trying to quell protests with bullets...I'm sure he's given orders to his troops to shoot to kill any opposition to his forced dictatorship whether it be armed or unarmed...glad to see more are pressuring him to step down...I'm having doubts he will though...It could turn out to be pretty bloody if he doesn't...hopefully some more of his supporters come to their senses and defect as well

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

lindsey williams was right.......

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Haha wow I was tripping when I made that one comment earlier and it's too late to edit my comment apparently. I mistook Lindsey Williams for the General that said those 7 countries I stated would be invaded in 5 years. My bad

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Looks like Saleh is nearly done

news.yahoo.com...

SANAA, Yemen – Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh was wounded when opposition tribesmen determined to topple him hammered his palace with rockets Friday in a major escalation of nearly two weeks of fighting with government forces. At least six guards were killed and eight top officials were also wounded, an official said.

The official said Saleh suffered slight injuries to the neck, and state TV aired a statement saying he was "in good health" and would speak to the public within hours.

top topics

join