It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NASA Map Reveals Tropical Forest Carbon Storage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Full story HERE

Deforestation and forest degradation contribute 15 to 20 percent of global carbon emissions, and most of that contribution comes from tropical regions. Tropical forests store large amounts of carbon in the wood and roots of their trees. When the trees are cut and decompose or are burned, the carbon is released to the atmosphere.

To arrive at a carbon map that spans three continents, the team used data from the Geoscience Laser Altimeter System lidar on NASA's ICESat satellite. The researchers looked at information on the height of treetops from more than 3 million measurements. With the help of corresponding ground data, they calculated the amount of above-ground biomass and thus, the amount of carbon it contained.

I thought this was pretty incredible that we are able to do this type of thing. I'm sure most people already know that the forest contain a large amount of carbon that can potentially be released. Personally I don't believe in the whole man-made carbon dioxide caused global warming idea, but for the people that DO believe in such things, this goes to show that people driving cars isn't really a big issue to the carbon dioxide buildup. So stop harassing motorists!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Cool post!

It would seem that if you're for lower carbon emissions, cut back on the deforestation. I remember in 1996 hearing of this issue even though it goes back further than that. It says deforestation and forest degredation, there can't be many lasting forest fires in tropical rain forests and most the trees decomposing are stated to be from cutting.

Why do we cut down so many trees? I never had much of an explaination for it, just that it was being done. Rubber? Paper? Really?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
sorry, when I go to the mountain and see the entire valley covered in thick smog, I refuse to believe our emissions are harmless.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
cool post but in regards to the motorist comment... suck an exhaust pipe and then say that with a smile.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
sorry, when I go to the mountain and see the entire valley covered in thick smog, I refuse to believe our emissions are harmless.

I don't think they are harmless at all, don't get me wrong, I just don't think we are responsible for warming the planet up. Poisoning the planet yes, warming it no. But that's not really the subject of the thread, I just didn't want people coming in here saying "you don't really think we are at fault for global warming/climate change do you?" I did say driving and relation to carbon buildup, not driving and other side effects.

I figured I'd just state my stance on that subject, but really didn't want this thread to turn into a debate about that.
edit on 2-6-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Well being in Australia I can tell you our corrupt Government would rather put a price on carbon, a tax that will affect every family despite what BS they spin, while giving out more permits to cut down trees..

Just look at Tasmania..
A Pulp mill that will mainly export pulp for paper while destroying the forests and pristine environment of Tasmania..
The deadly chemicals from the process dumped into the sea..

S&F

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667

Why do we cut down so many trees? I never had much of an explaination for it, just that it was being done. Rubber? Paper? Really?

In the developing countries it can be for building local structures, but also just to get it out of there. As more people in those countries try to better themselves and their economy they need useable land to do so. As Americans we were lucky enough to have land not completely covered in trees nor was there anyone around to tell us what to do when we pioneered the industrial revolution.

I'm not saying its great what they are doing, but I'm saying they aren't doing it because they hate the world and they are not terrorists. They are just trying to do the same thing everyone else is doing.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan

I don't recall him saying anything about vehicular emissions being harmless. He simply said that it isn't adding much in regards to worldwide carbon build-up.

Cheers,
Strype

top topics

join