It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google In New 'Chinese Hacker' Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Google In New 'Chinese Hacker' Attack

news.sky .com

Computer attacks originating in China infiltrated the email accounts of US government officials, military personnel and Chinese political activists, according to Google.

Google traced the “spear phishing” emails to Shandong Province in central China.

The province was also the origin of a cyber attack on Google’s computer systems in 2009 - an assault that soured the company’s relations with the Chinese government, and prompted Google to move its Chinese-language site to Hong Kong.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I heard this on BBC radio news this morning in the car. Is this a plant by US government to establish a false flag to hieghten tensions between US and China?

China already warned the allies about attacking Pakistan. Maybe this is part of the plan to discredit China and 'show' that they are against the west.

news.sky .com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Gregandgemma

This comes after saying we will take military action against hackers right? Your theory doesn't sound all that far-fetched to me.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The talking heads on Sky news keep repeating the line of attributed to a pentagon spokesperson that "If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks... what with Libya this seems to be a direct and real threat.. the bias seems to scream "China did it" *again* which is a rather worrying trend.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
From what I understand, these are just spam emails and the only way they could do any damage is if any of the links in them were followed up? I would hardly call this an "attack", or hacking. Yet more sensationalist fear mongering from the MSM.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
The talking heads on Sky news keep repeating the line of attributed to a pentagon spokesperson that "If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks... what with Libya this seems to be a direct and real threat.. the bias seems to scream "China did it" *again* which is a rather worrying trend.
er

There are probably more smoke stakes in china than there are missles in the world.. It is all hot air talk. Although I do wonder if the most powerful military in the world could be taken down with a cyber attack

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I agree.. but I do feel they are going out of their way right now to lay foundations and put thoughts in peoples mind that China is a threat which is not good.. But who really knows what is in their dastardly minds.

Although I think we are in the midst of a technological war ( as well as an economic one) I think any major cyber attack aimed at taking out the war machine might end up putting us (the human race) in a more unpleasant situation that we are already in as I would expect the parts that are out of that loop are the nuclear attack options *shudder*

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Why dont the stupid american goverment
get some fire wall and virues software?
zone alarm & AVG are free
so come on I know you are listening in.
and dont for get a good pass word.
and not "kissobamasbut"

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by purplemer

I agree.. but I do feel they are going out of their way right now to lay foundations and put thoughts in peoples mind that China is a threat which is not good.. But who really knows what is in their dastardly minds.

Although I think we are in the midst of a technological war ( as well as an economic one) I think any major cyber attack aimed at taking out the war machine might end up putting us (the human race) in a more unpleasant situation that we are already in as I would expect the parts that are out of that loop are the nuclear attack options *shudder*

Agree that foundations are being laid. Is major news on the radio at the moment. It appears the threat is from China but who knows really. False flag?

Not sure that US is equipped or prepared to 'deal' with China. Would they want to?....maybe not but they could retaliate to an attack, cyber or not.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Maybe its about controlling the internet. In these times of the digital age, he who controls the internet is very powerful. Same as oil control as well. Just check OPEC. Shocking price fixing

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It just keeps getting better. The E-Falseflag is on its way.

I will say though, i highly doubt the US wants to start # with China due to economic reasons. Same with China and US, US gets cheap goods from China, China sells cheap goods to US.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
It is all hot air talk.
I agree. I think the reason the US is making threats is so China will do more pursue its own hackers, so the US won't have to pursue them, that's really the end goal here, isn't it?

I mean, you folks don't really think the US wants to attack China, do you?

China knows how to crack down on something if they want to, the US is just trying to make China want to crack down on cyberterrorism. Id saying "pretty please" doesn't work, then sometimes threats can be used even if they don't intend to carry out the threats. So yeah, I think it's hot air talk.

And yes there are firewalls, but never underestimate the cleverness of hackers. the only systems that are truly secure aren't the ones with good firewalls, they are the ones not connected to any network at all.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Why don't China use computers from other countries to do the job? I know little about hacking, just think it should be easy for those hackers to find some computers from NK, Iran or even western countries.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamspark

Let's say to hack into a computer in Poland, and use that Poland computer to hack into a US government computer. They'll trace the attack back to an IP in Poland, even if you're a hacker in China.

Well, if the investigation stopped there, it might not be a bad idea, but it doesn't. They can ask the Polish government to cooperate and get a court order to install a device at the ISP for the attacking computer. That device can tell where the remote control commands are coming from.

That might lead to another remote controlled computer but eventually when they find no incoming remote control commands anymore, then they know the source.

However doing that with a computer in NK or Iran as you suggest might not be a bad idea since those countries may not cooperate with the US government in an investigation, unless the US threatened to attack them if their country was really the source of the hack, then they might cooperate just so they didn't have to take responsibility for something that they weren't responsible for. I don't know how that would play out, but it would be interesting. Don't give the Chinese hackers any ideas though. When they take down the US grid, I'll be the one sitting in the dark with no internet

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregandgemma

To be perfectly honest, the US does have a heck of a lot of troops in reach of China or certainly close enough to attack China...

Iraq 50,000 troops (Aug 2010)
Afghanistan 98,000 troops (Aug 2010)
South Korea 28,500
Japan 32,800
Germany 50,000
en.wikipedia.org...

That's not to mention the troops, ships, helicopter, jets in/around Libya

Hmmm...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Have you ever thought that Hacker could be started by the goverment?
they can use Hacker to attack China and blame the Hacker.
and they make it look like them selfs got Hack't.
and now lots of kids do Hacker.
so it works great for Them!
just look at the Hacking from the chinese goverment!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Crap thanks for the warning looks like I need to check my G-mail.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
stupid american government i agree somewhat with

a false flag even not hardly

the worlds largest government sponsor and financer of hacking is the chinese government.

china Has stolen billions of technology without ever firing a shot or without human sources in country in the western part of the world.

if anything this shows the over dependence and the need for a seperate network link up of government agencies and corporate net..

there is no firewall or antvirus software available to stop hacking there is always a backdoor or way in ALWAYS.

top topics

join