It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas passes bill that bans texting while driving

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I saw a driver texting yesterday and he was swerving lanes, speeding up/slowing down...basically driving erratically much like a drunk driver. I mentioned to my wife that she should call the cops and report this careless jerk. Before she could even respond to my statement, BAM he hits another vehicle (sideswipe). Needless to say, I stopped to make sure everyone was OK...but more importantly, I wanted to make sure that the police report indicated that he was texting while driving and that the accident was his fault.

to this law....now, let's actually see the cops enforce it.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

. . .

Oh right, because when you are choosing your music/using google maps/checking for a wifi connection/turning on your bluetooth you can pay full attention to the road and still use both hands to steer, unlike txting, right?

You get me wrong. I support the law, even though it is a rehash of the reckless driving law.

How different is changing music on a phone as opposed to changing a station?

People can and do text with one hand.

Don't give me the two hands on the wheel crap. You never switch radio stations, adjust the A/C, mirrors, turn on the wipers, turn on the headlights, etc.

Right.

Concerning your second example: if you were using voice to text and not touching your phone with your hands, you wouldnt get pulled over now would you?

That is what I am saying. I am texting while driving, so I am curious as to how the law handles this.

It should be a law against touching handheld devices while driving.....just like driving under the influence doesnt differentiate by the drug influencing, it shouldnt matter WHY you werent paying attention, just that you werent.

. . .

Again . . . how different is it to changing the radio, adjusting the A/C, etc.?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The fact that there has to be a law for something that should be common sense is ridiculous.

Do people need to be told what is safe and what isn't. What happened to common sense.

It should be a no brainer not to text while driving.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Do people need to be told what is safe and what isn't.

Unfortunately....

YES, yes they do. It's not good enough to tell the masses that it is illegal to drive while being distracted. If it's not specifically spelled out for the moronic mass, then they say "but, but, but....I didn't know". Well, now they know. There is no gray area, no misunderstanding. It's written in plain English...if people still read that.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
You have to have a hands-free device in montana to talk on your phone now and texting isn't allowed either...but it isn't grounds enough to search a car...and even most officers here don't give a crap and enforce it too often...although they will try and tag you with it if they see your phone out without a hands free device and you get pulled over for something else...I personally still see people talking on their phones all the time without the hand-free so it just seems a little silly to me to keep making laws for everything somebody does and seems even more ridiculous to enforce these laws harshly as it seems it's only a reason to draw more revenue from fines...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Frankly, a cellphone should only be able to dial 911 inside a vehicle.

You people that need to be on your cellphones every instant of every
day are mentally ill and should be locked up for the good of humanity.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Texting while driving endangers others, but so does singing, eating an Egg Mc Muffin, or turning around to yell at your nasty little kids. Are we going to ban that stuff too?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Texting while driving endangers others, but so does singing, eating an Egg Mc Muffin, or turning around to yell at your nasty little kids. Are we going to ban that stuff too?

Sure, they all should be; however, statistically speaking...how many accidents are reported due to "singing, eating an Egg Mc Muffin, or turning around to yell at your nasty little kids"? How many are due to texting?

We got to pick our battles...and texting while driving is a big one.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Singing ?

You don't need to eat while driving, unless you are a
fatass that is starving every five seconds, if you need
to eat in the car then pull over and eat.

And if your kids are misbehaving that badly maybe you
need to take care of their discipline before putting them
into the car or pull over rather than endangering other
drivers.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Sure, they all should be; however, statistically speaking...how many accidents are reported due to "singing, eating an Egg Mc Muffin, or turning around to yell at your nasty little kids"? How many are due to texting?

We got to pick our battles...and texting while driving is a big one.

I text while I drive, I also drive with my knees a lot, but I've never killed anyone. For someone to commit a crime, another person must have been a victim, who is the victim when I drive with my knees and/or text?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Version100

Singing ?

drivers.

Yes, many people sing while they drive and when they hit a high note they take their eyes off the road. That's really dangerous, ban it! I don't have kids, but I see many parents attend to their kids while they're driving, that's dangerous, ban it! Only fatasses? Nope, normal people eat while they drive all the time, ban that too!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Singing ?

drivers.

Yes, many people sing while they drive and when they hit a high note they take their eyes off the road. That's really dangerous, ban it! I don't have kids, but I see many parents attend to their kids while they're driving, that's dangerous, ban it! Only fatasses? Nope, normal people eat while they drive all the time, ban that too!

You make excuses for a lack of intelligence, consideration, common decency.

Your attitude exemplifies a great deal of what is wrong with western society.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Singing ?

drivers.

You make excuses for a lack of intelligence, consideration, common decency.

Your attitude exemplifies a great deal of what is wrong with western society.

Whatever.

You still haven't told me who my victim was. If I committed a crime, who is my victim?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It is already against the law here in the UK to be operating a mobile fone whilst driving, unless you are using a hands-free device.

Using your fone with your hands whilst driving is distracting and takes the driver's attention away from the road. Innocent people get injured and killed as a result of driving without due care and attention - and there is no excuse when there are so many hands-free car kits and wireless earpieces available nowdays.

It is not unreasonable to expect motorists to pay 100% attention on their driving IMO.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I text while I drive, I also drive with my knees a lot, but I've never killed anyone. For someone to commit a crime, another person must have been a victim, who is the victim when I drive with my knees and/or text?

Well, great for you...that you have not victimized anyone yet. Your argument is nothing but an "appeal to authority" (i.e., you are making an assertion you deem to be true because you are asserting it based upon your experience). Well, congratulations for being error free up to this point, but don't even try to be the spokesman for everyone. It's a statistical fact that those that text and drive cause disproportionately more accidents.

So far as victims go...we are all victims of texting drivers. However, some people pay more sever consequences than others...many pay with their life.

Have you ever heard of a deterrent?
edit on 3-6-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Well, great for you...that you have not victimized anyone yet. Your argument is nothing but an "appeal to authority" (i.e., you are making an assertion you deem to be true because you are asserting it). Well, congratulations for being error free up to this point, but don't even try to be the spokesman for everyone. It's a statistical fact that those that text and drive cause disproportionately more accidents.

So far as victims go...we are all victims of texting drivers. However, some people pay more sever consequences than others...many pay with their life.

Have you ever heard of a deterrent?

Here in D.C it's illegal to talk on the phone while driving, but that never stops anyone. Deterrents don't deter anyone.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
They passed a similar law here in Wisconsin. I honestly believe that texting while driving is more dangerous than driving drunk.

Now Texas needs to pass a law that bans anyone receiving welfare from voting!!!
edit on 3-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Deterrents don't deter anyone.

It does to those that actually get ticketed. Same theory that applies to speeders or red light runners. It may not entirely stop the bad deed; however, it certainly curbs the habit.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Deterrents don't deter anyone.

It does to those that actually get ticketed. Same theory that applies to speeders or red light runners. It may not entirely stop the bad deed; however, it certainly curbs the habit.

It's called reverse psychology, bro. Incentive wise, the government wants you driving faster -- more speeding tickets, more fuel used and thus more fuel taxes, etc. They tell you not to do it, so you do it more. The same thing will happen with banning texting.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I use "drive safe" when i get a text it reads it out to me so i never have to touch the phone and its free. If i get a text i need to respond to i pull over and park.
I have seen way 2 many idiots texting and trying to drive with there eyes off the road for up to 7 secs it makes me sick.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join