It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Without Power in Illinois

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Story at kfvs.com

Yes, another power outage! Ameren reporting that 11000 homes without power tonight!

This one closer to home and due to equipment failure... this is becoming a common theme it seems. What is terrible with this is, it has been unseasonably hot around here! Tomorrow it is going to be in the upper 90's! I know there was a thread on transformers exploding recently around the globe and talk on another site of widespread power grid failures to come in the near future... I wonder and am even concerned that there may some truth to those stories. Do any of you know anything about that?

I hope these folks find a way to keep cool!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Have been seeing on the news that our Illinois Governor is threatening to veto a bill passed by the Illinois Legislature which would give Ameren a rate increase in order to update their power grid.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

If my memory serves me correctly, they increased their rates a couple of years ago by a ghastly amount and there was controversy about it. People are being squeezed til their eyes are ready to pop already...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

i wonder if this has anything to do with that solar flare warning that was posted for this week? i heard it was just going to make some reception crappy and possibly slow down the internet from time to time but i dont know, maybe it could knock out a weak power grid too?

Hope the fix this soon for them.

interceptor

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheInterceptor

I heard the news man say they are hoping to have it back on tomorrow.... I was wondering the same thing and said as much to my husband... things just keep getting more curious all the time!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is a common theme.
Create a problem. - Power outages, poor infrastructure, veto bills to alleviate the problem.
Have government ride to the rescue. - talktalktalk, government handouts, an overly large bill that has riders in it to further take away more freedoms.

I may sound over the top (tin foil hat time!) but it was your gov. who said, "Never let a good crisis go to waste."

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheInterceptor

I was thinking along the same lines when the transformers were arcing in that Texas neighborhood (the one with all the different videos). I then ran across several other threads here on ATS where similar things were happening across the world, not just in the US.

However, there is possibly some unusual strain on the entire grid in that region due to the massive flooding, tornadoes, excessive heat, now toss in some space weather and you have a nice little mess. This is just grasping at what is easy to see, it might just be that some guys have been slacking and have not done proper maintenance.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
This is a common theme.
Create a problem. - Power outages, poor infrastructure, veto bills to alleviate the problem.
Have government ride to the rescue. - talktalktalk, government handouts, an overly large bill that has riders in it to further take away more freedoms.

I may sound over the top (tin foil hat time!) but it was your gov. who said, "Never let a good crisis go to waste."

With all respect, wasn't that Rahm E. that pulled that quip?
He was recently se-lected Mayor of Chicago... same thing, flame me.
Besides, "Why become Governor of New York when you can be Mayor?"
Was that Nelson Rockefeller? Somebody please straighten me out on that one...

Back to the thread, the power outages in Chicago's west suburbs are starting
to roll around, and we aren't even hooked to ComEd, we have a private firm that's
starting to hit the wall too.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
We had a power outage this past weekend. It went out late Friday evening, and was out until around 9AM on Saturday.The energy company's telephone-notification system said it was due to equipment failure. My suburb is just west of Milwaukee.

new topics

top topics

join