It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A380

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This is the last time you will hear me say this about any Soviet plane, but hte An-225 is one of the coolest transporters I have ever seen. This is because it was built just to carry the Russains version of the shuttle. The US rented it before and durring Operation Endurring Freedom to haul suplies to areas near and in Afghanistan, do a google search if you dont believe me.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
^^ I know..... i rented one.

Rolls-Royce are the engine suppliers for both the 380 project and the Boeing 7E7 project. The Rollsoffering for the 380 is called the Trent 900 and the 7E7 is called the Trent 1000. Both engines ar based on previous successful cores, they just have mods and tweaks to them. GE called their variant the GENX engine.

The Trent 900 has a fan diameter of 116 inches and a thrust range btween 70,000 and 75,000 lbs. (each). In comparison the 777 engine, the Trent 800, has a 110 inch fan and thrusts up to around 95,000 lbs. The Trent 1000 is in the 53,000 to 70,000 lbs class and has a fan approx the same size as the Trent 800.

Rolls do offer many different type of services to its customers. They are called fleet hour agreements. Basically, the airline chooses what they want and Rolls quotes them an hourly price for that service. So an operator can have everything under the sun for $XXX per hour or nothing at all for......well, nothing at all. This is all minus the initial purchase price of course. Services include anything you want to define.

[edit on 13-10-2004 by Karaya]

kix

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
THE 380 WILL get a new Cockpit, so it will depert (a little) from the homogeous cabin controls of the 320/30/40 family.

Basically Itl will have 2 new screens (no CRT they will be TFT�s) and instead of 6 by 6 inches they will be 6 by 9 inches. Also It will have 2 outside cameras for manuvering on ground.
It will be the first paperles cockpit since the jeppesenn and the flight data for waypoints and airports will be on the onboard computer.

The new nav system will be state of the art, the Pilot if requested a change of route or change of waypoints will put the screen of nav in front, take a trackball (oversized) put the pointer oveer the new way point the name and code will apper on screen another click and "voila" the computers will do the rest.

The overhead controls will be on a very large touch screen tft , avoiding confusion and workload.
Also It will have a sole compuiter for / and terrain avoidance system so it wil pull up in case of pilot error.
Even it will fly itself in case of an all out computer and electrical system.....

I hope Boeing gets a lot of defense contracts in the coming years because THEY WILL SURELY NEED THEM!

<< 3  4  5   >>

join