It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A380

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtheiX
waynos this is one of the ugliest airplane pics I've ever seen
RichardPrice the pic provided by you is a lot better

[edit on 10-10-2004 by AtheiX]

I never said it was pretty
I would describe it as 'startling', especially after one flew over my house

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
If its beauty you want this is a bit of a babe, the A340;

This is quite a nice impression of the A380;

While here's a Rolls Royce Trent 900 for the A380 being test flown on an A340. Big isn't it.;

edit; I didn't realise they were so massive!

[edit on 10-10-2004 by waynos]

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
If its beauty you want this is a bit of a babe, the A340;

*cut*

This is quite a nice impression of the A380;

*cut*

While here's a Rolls Royce Trent 900 for the A380 being test flown on an A340. Big isn't it.;

*cut*

Any chance of a resize on those images?

Seriously, the A380 is going to be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE aircraft, and its really pushing the limits of what can seriously be flown (people had the same doubts about the 747 before it flew, so Im guessing somewhere around 2020 someones going to prove me wrong
) That said, its still smaller than the Antonov cargo carrier!

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You mean this! Its not a Boeing or an Airbus but the Antonov 225 is VERY cool, nor is it Russian junk

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Damn! but that engine pic puts a bit of startling scale to the A380.

That bird is one massive mutha-fecker!

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
Damn! but that engine pic puts a bit of startling scale to the A380.

That bird is one massive mutha-fecker!

Put it this way. The engines for the A380 have roughly the same diameter as the fuselage of the 737 or similiar class aircraft.

Think of that next time you are sat in a 737 or similiar class of aircraft

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by qwzxas
europe will fall,, airbus sucks, boeing rocks, europe hate america reemember.

qwzxas,
I would really like to kick your *** for beeng such an IGNORANT ***hole
I live in europe, I don't hate any american or US citizen exsept you, i have nothing to do with the airbus but one day I will surely enjoi riding it exacly as you will

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Vorazechul, I found qwzxas' post to be tacky, and I work for Boeing.

I have never flown on an Airbus Industrie jet and probably never will, but although I do not agree with some of their business practices, they make fine aircraft.

I think that, within about fifteenor twenty years, both Boeing and Airbus Industrie will be looking over their shoulder and the next major player in the aircraft industry, Embraer.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
I think that, within about fifteenor twenty years, both Boeing and Airbus Industrie will be looking over their shoulder and the next major player in the aircraft industry, Embraer.

I agree, Embraer is quite an upcoming competitor, tho it doesnt currently have anything for the top end. Even McDonald Douglas got out of the upper end, and it had fantastic and profitable competing aircraft.

Embraer currently only compete in the regional or business jet class, and its doing quite well there, but it takes a huge leap to move into commercial carrier area.

Im actually looking for something to come out of Asia or the middle east to compete, that sort of source has always been a surprise and theyve been fairly quiet recently. That or Russia.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What a great call! It is absolutely remarkable how Embraer have come from nowhere in just 32 years, even 15 years ago they only covered the 18 - 36 seat turboprop market and now with their superb twin jets they are competing in a market that killed Dornier and even saw off the very well established BAe presence epitomised by the BAC One Eleven and BAe 146/Avro RJ series. They are an extremely progressive and impressive company indeed and I too have wondered where they will be in a couple of decades.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Here's one of my favourite Airbus, barring the A380.

Someone will probably reckon its a fake

That is basically an upsized Guppy...nothing original

The A380 is a technological triumph...no questions asked. I think it will be somewhat hard for it to sell though...it's only practical application is long haul, trans-oceanic flights. That market is relatively small, compared to the small hub and spoke system found in the U.S.

The 737 has sold a hell of a lot more times over than the 747...and regional airlines like Southwest have made a killing on low cost commuting...The A380 has a market, it will take over the aging 747 fleet...but Airbus is hoping to break even on the investment. The A380 is just as much of a statement of "hey, Europe can compete against the dominant US aerospace market" as it is an investment.

The A380 will sell...but so will the 7E7...at best the A380 is building the foundation for Airbus' possible future dominance of the commercial airplane industry.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Waynos - Whats the purpose of that "Super Transporter" Airbus? (aka: whats it haul?)

I know Nasa uses there Boeing Guppy for ISS components and other various usually space related things. and is that also what the Airbus version is for, and if so what space agency does it haul?

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Also waynos, FYI Boeing did the same testing with there 777 engine on there 747, it looked alot like that pic you posted.

and while the Rolls Royce Trent 900 is a big engine, the Boeing 777 General Electric GE-90-115B is nearly 2 feet (diameter) larger.

and the 7E7 will use one of these two.
1. General Electric GENX
2. Rolls-Royce Trent 1000

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Waynos - Whats the purpose of that "Super Transporter" Airbus? (aka: whats it haul?)

I know Nasa uses there Boeing Guppy for ISS components and other various usually space related things. and is that also what the Airbus version is for, and if so what space agency does it haul?

Well, Airbus ships a hell of a lot of its planes constituent parts around europe, for example this and thjs.

I think Arianne also uses it to ship parts of its rockets around.

As far as I know, the A300ST is custom built for Airbus, and leased to other companies as needed.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Thats right Richard. Also FAO Lost Cause, the reason its 'nothing original' is precisely because it was built to replace the Airbus fleet of Super Guppies that were worn out.

Murcielago, The main usage of the A300-600ST, also called the Beluga, is to transport wing sets from the UK (ie when it passes over my house looking awesome with the sun shining on that big fuselage) and fuselages sections from Germany to Toulouse for final assembly as well as hiring out the aircraft whenever spare capacity is available.

[edit on 11-10-2004 by waynos]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostCause
The A380 is a technological triumph...no questions asked.

- Too true.

I think it will be somewhat hard for it to sell though...it's only practical application is long haul, trans-oceanic flights.

- The A380 hasn't even flown yet and it has racked up approx 130 sales so far (en.wikipedia.org...).

That market is relatively small, compared to the small hub and spoke system found in the U.S.

- We shall see. I would suggest that 747 sales are a reasonable guide to what sort of market there is for this type of plane.

The 737 has sold a hell of a lot more times over than the 747...and regional airlines like Southwest have made a killing on low cost commuting...The A380 has a market, it will take over the aging 747 fleet...

- Have you any idea of how many 747's were sold? That is an enormous potential market (along with replacing some of the DC/MD10, 767 and even A300 market).

but Airbus is hoping to break even on the investment.

- You will see from the above link - scroll down near the end - that Airbus only need to sell 250 - 300 units to break even. They're 50% of the way there and it hasn't even started flying yet. I think you'll find given the size of the potential market the plan is much more ambitious than just break even!

The A380 is just as much of a statement of "hey, Europe can compete against the dominant US aerospace market" as it is an investment.

- I'm sorry but I don't think seeing this all as an exercise in 'wang waving' is anwhere near accurate. It might fit the adolescent fantasies of some but given the billions of Euro's involved and the thousands of high-tech jobs across Europe (and the world....even the USA too let's not forget) this is much much more than an exercise in 'mine's bigger than your's'.

The A380 will sell...but so will the 7E7...at best the A380 is building the foundation for Airbus' possible future dominance of the commercial airplane industry.

- I agree the 7E7 will sell too - Boeing brand loyalty will guarantee that much amongst some - but the imminent announcement of the A350 just put a massive dent in it's potential sales.

[edit on 12-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Personally I cannot wait for the A380 to go into service. I live near the Indianapolis International Airport where Fedex has a HUGE hub. I beleive its the international hub for Fedex. Anyway. They have many of the 380's on order and will be flying them in here. Also IND airport is building a new terminal that will support the 380's as well. I think that is due to open in 3 to 4 years.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thinks = won't Airbus soon be needing an A380SDT Super Duper Transporter?
How wierd would THAT look?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Some more info on the A300-600ST here

Quite a spectacular aircraft, by all accounts. I dont see any need for a A380 version, as they are already doing a freighter version of the A380, and the A300ST can carry more outsized loads internally.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
Some more info on the A300-600ST here

Quite a spectacular aircraft, by all accounts. I dont see any need for a A380 version, as they are already doing a freighter version of the A380, and the A300ST can carry more outsized loads internally.

I think was is most important about these aircraft, is the fact that they actually fly unlike a certain Stavatti Corp. aircraft that will never get off the demented imagination of a 1960's hippie.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join