It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being Gay is a Gift from God

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mac420

Where is it stated that homosexuality is as sinful or almost as sinful as denying the holy spirit? Homosexuality is no more sinful than gossip, lying, stealing, or having sex with a woman during her period, or eating shellfish. There are no levels of "sin", friend. No one has been able to define blasphemy of the holy spirit. It is up for interpretation. The entire bible is up for interpretation.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by False_Prophet
I believe being gay isn't a gift from God, it's not a choice and you aren't born gay... I believe people become gay because of the way they grow up, their situation, their upbringing, the people that surround them and their influence on them.

Eh, it's possible that environment can influence someone. For instance, if you start taking drugs at a young age, who knows what kind of sexual escapades you would embark on if you weren't otherwise sober.

Really, though, listen to gay people. They knew they were gay at a young age, like heterosexuals know they are straight at a young age. I had unexplainable urgings for my hot female kindergarten teacher, for pete's sake. It wasn't a conscious decision on my part.

As for being a "gift from God" - you could use that logic to apply to anything, really. "Being ______ is a Gift from God"

edit on 2-6-2011 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by virraszto
I happen to notice this billboard while driving to the mall a couple of days ago. It took me by surprise, but I was glad to see the message it's sending. Personally, I don't believe in the Christian God, but believer or not, everyone should be treated the same, regardless of sexual orientation. It would be great for larger churches to follow the lead of this small church.

( I know my windshield is dirty.
)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4eff0771225a.jpg[/atsimg]

The church has a Being Gay is a Gift from God campaign going on.

centraltoledo.org...

COMMUNITY CAMPAIGN: “Being Gay is a Gift from God” The purpose of this campaign is 1) to offer welcome to all persons who are gay; 2) to challenge the larger Church to fully accept persons who are gay into the life of the Church; and 3) to call on all people to bring all the gifts of who they are to God.

more from the church site:

Here are some important things about us:
-We are young and old, gay and straight, in committed relationships and single.
-We come from all sorts of faith backgrounds, from traditional churches to no church at all.

I believe in a creator, just not the Christian God and my opinion is that each and every life is a gift.
I don't want this thread to turn into a gay bashing/God hates gays thread so I won't respond to any of those replies.

What a mess, so I guesst hat this is the USA at it finest?? Yelling advertising signs with big letters on it and ugly buildings???

And I thought it was more like this :

Guess I wass wrong, America is a big pile of # !

link   

Originally posted by britt
No, gay people don't choose to be gay, but they choose to act on it. Some people have bigger obstacles to overcome than others.

That's like saying "People don't choose to breathe oxygen, but they choose to act on it" or "People don't choose to walk upright, but they choose to act on it." You are saying that a gay person should not be gay even though they are born that way, and I find that ridiculous. So should a gay person go through life being miserable and unhappy from denying what comes natural to them? Should a gay person not act on what is completely natural to them because of YOUR beliefs? If a gay person chooses to be a Christian and walk the same path as you then fine, I'll give you that, but what about all of the non-Christians that are gay?

As a Christian I'm sure you sin on a daily basis, just like everyone else, and sometimes you choose to do it don't you? I was raised Baptist, so I am intimately familiar with Christianity, and I subscribe to some of it even today, but the reason I went my own way, apart from the rest of my Christian family is because of the gross hypocrisy that I saw and heard on a daily basis, and also the flawed logic that it takes to be considered a mainstream Christian, much like your statement " gay people don't choose to be gay, but they choose to act on it. Some people have bigger obstacles to overcome than others."

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JudasIscariot

Not only did you not miss that, Jesus hung out with a lot of guys. Just sayin............and the bible states you shouldn't even give the impression of sin, so if homosexuality is a sin, then Jesus set himself up for ridicule.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Wonder how many atheist will cheer for this sign..but an actual sign that comes from real history form the bible that rejects homosexuailty they will demand to throw them in jail.This is how dumb society is getting.How about FREEDOM instead.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by eleventhsun
reply to post by arbitrarygeneraiist

Agreed. If your sexual urges were a choice I highly doubt we would have as many pedophiles and such. Not to mention the sheer amount of sexual criminals that voluntarily castrate themselves just to stop those urges.

Pedophilia is a mental illness like Homosexuality.

Okay, this thread is luring me back in every time. Everyone press Ctrl + w.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I didn't interpret his post as taking "love one another" in any fashion other than what Jesus meant. Loving one another means you don't judge, you don't ridicule, or hate. It means you respect others. That is what Jesus meant and that is what the poster is saying.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jobeycool
real history

That, my friend, is debatable.

You're comparing a sign that stands for acceptance and love with a sign that stands for intolerance.

Has religion blinded people that much?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Homosexuality is a sexual desire/attraction like heterosexuality and bisexuality are. There's a reason why homosexuals don't pursue people of the opposite gender on their own free will. Do you have a legitimate source that states that homosexuality is a mental illness, or are you just spouting off nonsense? I can certainly link you to references that explain how homosexuality is a sexual attraction if you'd like.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Strictly for Education Purposes, DON'T TAKE ANYTHING IN TO HEART.

OK, I am arguing for educational purposes, too. Also, homosexuality is not recognized mental illness by actual psychiatrists, so actual experts seem to agree with me.

"psychological or behavioral pattern generally associated with subjective distress or disability" Not being able to reproduce is a disability. The "behavioral pattern", which is a man having sex with a man. What disability does this behavioral patten produce, the behavioral patter of homosexuality? It isn't that complicated.

Homosexuality does not cause the disability of not being able to reproduce. Homosexuals are able to reproduce, they are not sterile. I really do not see your point. Again what is the disability you speak of? As for distress:

Regarding depression, once again, a "behavioral pattern" which causes distress. You can argue that it is the public mis-understanding of homosexuality which causes this distress, and I can argue otherwise, I can argue that homosexuality is a pretense game, and that pretense "behavioral pattern" is what causes the distress. In that sense, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, you can have that one, even though it isn't that hard to contemplate a fake life being depressing.

If it is the homosexually wired brain itself that causes the depression, not negative pressure of society, then yes, homosexuality maybe could be regarded as a mental illness, IMHO. But I dont think that is the case, and even you have to admit that negative social pressure could be the major cause of homosexuality-associated deppression, it is a logical explanation. In such a case, it could not be considered a mental illness according to this definition.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Haha, arguing about Homosexuality, how low can it go?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Pedophilia is a mental illness like Homosexuality. Okay, this thread is luring me back in every time. Everyone press Ctrl + w.

But pedophilia is considered a mental illness precisely because it posesses a potential danger to others, just like psychopathy, for example. That is not the case with homosexuality.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I would have gone into that church and asked where it is said in the bible that backs up their billboard.. i see mention of Adam and Eve in replys but also think i should point out Sodom and Gomorrah.

In Christianity and Islamic traditions, Sodom and Gomorrah have become synonymous with impenitent sin, and their fall with a proverbial manifestation of God's wrath.[Jude 1:7][1] Sodom and Gomorrah have also been used as metaphors for vice and homosexuality viewed as a deviation. The story has therefore given rise to words in several languages, including the English word "sodomy", used in so-called sodomy laws to describe sexual acts deemed unnatura

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

"Gays continue to live in sin", really? Do you gossip, or lie? Do you eat shellfish? Do you pray out loud? Jesus didn't. Jesus never prayed out loud. He went off to be by himself and prayed in private to his Father. He told his followers to not be like the hypocrites who pray out loud. Just sayin................

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

It is not a mental illness.

link   
reply to post by Maslo

You get a star for that. I'll add (for the guy that you were responding to now)

that homosexuality once was regarded as an illness, but you can't even go by the psychiatry society's book regarding the plethora of balogny mental illnesses they are making up. With what they put there, there is no one left who doesn't have an illness of some sort anyways, so this does not bode well towards their credibility. Also, your lack of education in psychology does not bode well for saying that homosexuality is an illness, Not thinking for yourself is a mental illness as well, called indoctrination. First people get the religious trap, then the societal trap. Most souls are lost this way. You are amongst them, a silly borg drone of a person nobody in this modern age has much respect for. What trailor park did you come from?

link   
reply to post by Jobeycool

.but an actual sign that comes from real history form the bible that rejects homosexuailty they will demand to throw them in jail

As for the bible being real history, that is also up for debate.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Don't you guys see what the bible and that stupid religion has done to you? You are all acting as insane people, arguing on the internets about Homosexuality, go do something with your pathetic life. I really think that your lord also wanted this. Just stop arguing about homosexuality and continues bible quoting and start enjoying life !

Live and let live, bad people will get their punishments somehow....

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join