learn more

Being Gay is a Gift from God

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Being gay can be regarded as a mental illness, that would be a great point of discussion if anyone is willing to go there.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I can't stand how things are being twisted around in this day and age to justify the actions of the few.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreak
reply to post by virraszto

Being gay can be regarded as a mental illness, that would be a great point of discussion if anyone is willing to go there.

Please look up the definition of mental illness. It has to be associated with distress or disability either to patient, or potentially a danger to others, to fulfill this definition. Being gay is thus not a mental illness.
edit on 2/6/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

No one is born straight. they get pressured into it by every one! just look at the world!

That wasn't my personal experience with the issue. I can remember my late preschool days and playing doctor with some little girls during that time. I remember some little dude around the 1st grade wanting to touch my flag pole and I wouldn't let it happen. Eventually I hit him in the face. That's a hate crime now I suppose.

My point is that no one pressured me into wanting to get into a females panties. It's more like they pressured me to quit trying so much.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

"A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern generally associated with subjective distress or disability that occurs in an individual, and which is not a part of normal development or culture.
Source

Coming again?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I really don't know why I choose to read these threads all the time. All they end up doing is inspiring rage within me.
*takes deep breath, calms down* Okay, here's my opinion.

I wish people would stop arguing over whether sexuality is a choice. I don't believe you're "born with it", no baby is ever sexually attracted to another baby, as far as I know, because that part of them hasn't developed yet. But it really isn't a choice either. I think that sexuality is influenced by a number of factors, such as the role of ones parents, interaction with peers, and the individual's emotional sensitivity. At no point, however, does a child make a conscious decision regarding sexual preference. It developes largely unseen in the early stages of life, so that by the time the child reaches puberty their preference is already fixed.

The choices come into play when the individual chooses whether or not to act on sexual desires. Often, when an individual feels an attraction to the opposite sex, they are often encouraged to pursue it. On the other hand, if the individual feels an attaction to the same sex, it is often suppressed by the individual based on outside influences.

The individual can either choose to accept their sexual preference, or suppress it. In many cases, the individual chooses to suppress homosexuality for fear of being socially ostracized. Similarly, an individual from a religious family might have even heterosexual desires suppressed due to their parents religious beliefs. Sometimes the individual is compliant, others choose to rebel and often become promiscuous.

To me it is obvious; suppression is not the answer. Acceptance is. If one accepts who they are and what they want, they will be much happier in life.

I admit it is somewhat hypocritical of me to say this...it is because of the bigoted and heterosexist ***holes of the world that I still choose to suppress my urges and try to blend in as much as possible. I am not happy with my life. I feel a pain in my heart every day.

Christians keep talking about "God's love", and yet their hate is destroying me. They say that if I "accept Jesus as my savior" then he will "help me overcome my temptation" but I feel that this is absolute bullocks. I don't want to live my life fearing that pursuing happiness will bring eternal damnation, invoking the name of a glorified dead philosopher as a crutch to struggle through this horrid existence.

If your God is truly a loving being, he wouldn't force us into a life of suffering, and then an eternity of suffering if we even try to be happy.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

hm.. and your point is? Being gay does not fulfill that definition, there is no distress or disability.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I beg to differ. There is EXTREME distress. I have tried to kill myself 3 times. I would call it a mental illness.

Treatment, however, would be acceptance, therapy, and subjecting myself to potential hatred and abuse by others.

Its a no win situation. Why would anyone choose this?
edit on 2-6-2011 by Glass because: wrong wording

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

hm.. and your point is? Being gay does not fulfill that definition, there is no distress or disability.

You think not being able to reproduce is not a disability?

and there is that obvious connection between homosexuality, depression, and suicide.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I have spent the majority of my life playing football, from little league all the way through college. I can tell you never in my life while in the locker rooms or showers have I looked over and thought, man that guy is good looking, I might try being gay. That is not a decision you make, you are born that way.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Refer to a study which was published in the book "Normality or Disorder:Answering the Question".

"Normality or Disorder

# Homosexuality is not formally recognized as a mental disorder in the DSM. However, some mental health professionals disagree: a few years following the removal of homosexuality from the DSM, the majority of psychiatrists in America viewed homosexuality as a pathology, and the majority of psychiatrists around the world continue to see same-sex attraction as signaling a mental illness.

# Research has shown that it is not the case that all homosexuals are inherently pathological. Sometimes these findings are misrepresented to suggest that homosexuals do not experience any greater distress than heterosexuals.

# Research supports a relationship between homosexuality and personal distress (e.g., rates of depression, substance abuse and suicidality), though not all homosexuals are distressed. Some view the distress as indicating something inherently wrong with homosexuality; others view homosexuals who are distressed as a reflection of societal prejudice.

# Research on maladaptiveness is inconclusive primarily because of the lack of agreement as to what constitutes maladaptiveness. The clear evidence of relational instability and promiscuity among male homosexuals must figure as problematic for Christians.

# Homosexuality violates societal norms; however, mental health organizations have taken the formal position that societal norms have to be changed toward accepting homosexuality as a normal sexual variant.

# Research on whether homosexuality is a pathological condition is not formally relevant to the moral debate in the church. Psychological abnormality and immorality are two different things, although sometimes they overlap.

link   
Since everyone is a sinner, being gay is no different than a liar, thief, or adulterer. Should always accept someone no matter who they are, that way you can have an oppurtunity to preach them the good news.

Just too bad they are a 'false church' aka the Christian Church. 'Jesus' has only been around for 400 + years, name was invented in early 1600's, and 'God' is a pronunciation of a Canaanite deity named 'Gad' and was worshiped as the deity of fortune? Also the astrologers of Babel worshipped a deity called 'Gad' pronounced 'Gawd' for Jupiter or Zeus.

And yes, no one is born gay, everyone makes that choice, by influence of some sort makes the person's brain grown into liking someone of the same sex. Give a young boy only girls toys to play with, no GI Joes, make him wear girls clothing, and only hang out with women. Soon enough he will grow up gay.

Nothing wrong with finding these things out. Just pray to our Almighty Creator Yahuwah, and He will answer you if you truely seek Him and want Him.

link   

It is. But gays are able to reproduce.

and there is that obvious connection between homosexuality, depression, and suicide.

That has to do with how negatively society views them. There are also plenty of happy gays, so it is not a rule, nor is there any direct connection except societal pressure.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by HarrisonOD

Again, people need to stop saying "you're born that way", its a gross oversimplification, a convenient excuse for people who are afraid to look back at their childhood and analyse why they are the way they are.

I say this probably because of my need to understand everything, lol

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Glass

I suspect that your suicidal actions were the results of the pressure put onto you from those around you or society and not they gay.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Quite true. I could reproduce if I really wanted to, or donate to a sperm bank. However I don't feel right about bringing new life into this world. Creating new people is subjecting an individual to a life of suffering. I will not be responsible for that.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Don't forget, me calling homosexuality a mental illness is not a sign of disrespect, but strictly for educational purposes.

Anyways, I have yet to see two women reproducing, or two men reproducing. At the end of the day, you can't just use two sperms to reproduce. That puts homosexuality in the mental illness closet, don't you think?

That has to do with how negatively society views them. There are also plenty of happy gays, so it is not a rule.

50% higher depression rate, and 200% more likely to commit suicide. Pretending to be happy doesn't count.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
reply to post by Glass

I suspect that your suicidal actions were the results of the pressure put onto you from those around you or society and not they gay.

I agree, but "the gay" led to that pressure, and my inability to deal with "the gay" is the main problem.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
If being gay is a choice, then someone needs to inform over 1,500 animal species that they made the wrong choice. If 1,500 species can choose to be gay, learn to be gay, or be pressured to be gay, then surely they would choose to correct their situation after learning it is a sin.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glass

Originally posted by tamusan
reply to post by Glass

I agree, but "the gay" led to that pressure, and my inability to deal with "the gay" is the main problem.

But if you grew up in a society where you knew you could be the way you were without fear of ridicule, with unconditional love and acceptance, would you have went through the same thing?
edit on 2-6-2011 by mahoosta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join