It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Can End World Hunger, Tonight! Care To Know How?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

First of all, let me apologize. I will admit, I did not read your entire post. I didn’t have to. It is obvious some key elements have been left out of this equation.

For the sake of argument I’ll assume you’re familiar with the laws of supply and demand. Well, it applies to food and population as well. The more food we produce, the more people will reproduce. The more people reproduce, the more food we need to produce. Right now there are approximately 7 billion people on earth. The world as a whole produces enough food a year to feed between 9 - 11 billion people at around 4 billon tons. America alone produces twice as much food as it can consume. Meaning we waste roughly 29 million tons of food in a single year. Globally we waste about 1.3 billion tons, and all while the cost of food has gone up.

By the year 2050 it’s estimated the worlds population will have caught up to our current food production at a whopping 9.2 billion people. That’s the addition of 2.2 billion more people in a 39 year span. However our food production will have also increased to meet this ne demand, and yet starvation and death will continue to be inevitable. The idea of adding more money to the problem is not the solution. It is never the solution.

And let’s not forget some of the side effects of increased population and food production. Those being a depleted supply of already limited clean water and the devastating effect of deforestation and agriculture on the ecosystem.

“If the world is to be saved, it will not be by old minds with new programs, but by new minds with no programs at all” ~ Daniel Quinn.

World Info Meter
UN Population Projections
1 Billion Tons Wasted

edit on 6/2/2011 by amaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The money would be much better spent on birth control education and supplies.
As mentioned in the book "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn:
And increase in food production will always result in an increase in population, which will always result in higher demand for food. Repeat.

The problem is that these people are living in areas that simply can not support the size of the population.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by canselmi

Birth Control and Education are not the solutions either. Within our current system of food production and distribution there will always be those who are starving. Without strict global restrictions on consumption, production and reproduction, this problem will continue to escalate exponentially. That is not the way any of us want to live; there has to be a better answer.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well guys, sadly it looks like I fail math class. I went back and looked at my own math and I was way off. I do apologize for that.

I had originally said that it would take about 170 billion per year to feed the world.

But after correcting my math ( With a little help from my friends) I see now that it would take $3,790,009,504,775 per year. That is three trillion seven hundred ninety billion nine million five hundred four thousand seven hundred seventy five dollars.

Which, unfortunately means that it would not be possible to feed the world strictly on military budgets, even if every country in the world were to combine all of their military budgets that would only come to a little over 1.5 trillion. Still very short of the 3 and 3/4 trillion dollar mark...

So, I am here to say I was wrong. I thought I could end the war on hunger but I cannot. Not with my idea anyway.

But I do wish to state, that I hope this thread has inspired you. Inspired you to take a look and see if there IS a way we can end world hunger.

Maybe you can make a thread of your own with a viable idea. If only I have inspired just one person to go out there and try to make the world a better place, than this thread has not been a failure.

I encourage you all. Please do try to find your own answers. Examine your countries budgets. Examine the budgets of the whole world. Take a look at how much money they spend and what they spend it on.

If there are bound to be other programs that might could be cut, that could help us reach that nearly 4 trillion dollar mark.

What do you say? I could not find the answer, but I suspect, perhaps I am looking in the right direction. But I need your help! Join me and work with me, to find the answer.

What would it take? How can we do it? I think it is possible... But how?

Now, I would ask the mods to close this thread because of how bad my math was, but I would like to keep it open in hopes that it will inspire a discussion. One in which we sit down and try to figure out how to afford feeding everyone in the world. There is a way, and we can find it together.

To steal from the show LOST. " Live together, die alone."

Help and make the world a better place.

Thank you all for reading.

Now, what are YOUR ideas?

Peace and love.
edit on 2-6-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join