It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Can End World Hunger, Tonight! Care To Know How?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Let me preface this by saying, math has always been my worst subject, so I encourage you to PLEASE double check my math... If I did the math wrong, that could easily render my thought moot.... But if I am right... Then, great. But if I am wrong, so be it and I apologize. But at least I tried to come up with a solution. At least I tried.

Thanks for reading, ahead of time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

The war on hunger. How often have you stopped and thought about all the people in this world who go hungry? How often have you changed the channel when one of those depressing, feed the children commercials come on?

I admit, I tend not to think much about it. I am lucky to have grown up in such a way, where I am not hungry. I can eat anytime I feel like it.

But not everyone is as lucky as I am..

There are about nine hundred twenty five million people in this world, hungry right now. They are not hungry because they choose to be. It just so happens they cannot afford to buy food to eat.

Yes, this is a sad thing. But what I find to be even more sad is that each day 25,000 people die from hunger related illness

25,000 human lives wasted because they do not have access to something as common as food.

But what on earth can be done about this? There are all kinds of charities across the world, set up just to help prevent hunger. Do not get me wrong, these do help, but they are not the ultimate solution because hunger still persists across the globe.

Is there a solution? What could be done to save the lives of 25,000 people per day, who are dying when they should not have to?

Well, I am writing this thread, mainly to give each of you who read this, something to think about.

There are 6,922,185,301 people living on earth today. That is six billion nine hundred twenty two million one hundred eighty five thousand three hundred one people. It must seem quite a daunting task to feed each and every one of them.

But is it really?

I was thinking today. Perhaps it is a very idealistic thought, but I do think it is a plausible one. I admit, I do not think something like this would ever be done though. Why? You will find out as you continue to read.

Now, I was thinking. What if everyone on earth, had just $15.00 per day, to buy themselves three meals per day. That is $5.00 per meal ( Keep in mind I am speaking US dollars here). What would that cost? Is there anyone or any group on earth that could afford to do such a thing?

Spending $15.00 per day on everyone in the world to buy them 3 meals per day is bound to be expensive. Well, it is. It would cost about $170,333,333,445 per year.

Now, I know what you are thinking. Come on, there is no way on earth that we could afford to spend 4 billion per year just to feed everyone.

Well, I am here to say, that it is more than possible. In fact, the only reason we don't is because of how screwed up our priorities have become as people.

Let me ask you, how much do you think the US alone, spends on the defense budget per year? The United States alone, spends 711 Billion dollars per year on our miltary and defense.

That is nearly 3 times more than any other country in the world. In fact, the whole of Europe spends just 289 billion per year on the same thing. Kind of an eye opener for you.

Now, I know it seems that killing and war are just deeply embeded into our very nature, I highly doubt that you could easily talk any government into taking money from their military budget in order to feed the world.

But I am here to say, why not?

What if the US DID reduce their military budget from 711 billion to 541 billion per year and took the left over 4 billion to feed the world at just $15.00 per person?

Well, we would still have the largest military budget in the world and we would still be a more than capable military. Clearly. On top of that, everybody would be fed. Perhaps their would be a reduction in violence, theft and other such crime, in the name of getting food. In the name of surviving.

I think it is time for a priority check, folks. What is more important to our survival as humans? What is more important to you? Food or nukes? Being able to feed the world, or being able to blow it up?

Again, I agree, the world and the people in it are violent by nature it seems. I am by know means proposing we get rid of the military or anything. There will always be bad people in the world.

But do we really need that large of a budget? A budget over twice as much times bigger than the whole of Europe which comes in second place for Military budget? Last time I checked, those European countries were no one to play around with, militarily.

So think to yourselves. Can we do it? Yes. We can easily feed the world and end hunger by tomorrow.

The question is will we do it? Will we do it before it is too late? Does anyone care that we can do it or are we just going to continue stock piling our ammunition, like it's candy?

Do we need another nuke capable of wiping whole continents off the map? I don't think so. Do we all need to eat? I think so.

We can feed the world and still have plenty of money left over to continue having the most expensive military in the world, by two times... Just think...

What if every country cut their budget by 170 billion in order to feed the world, cure disease etc...? Imagine the kind of world we could be living in. Hey, if we did that though, we might not need a defense budget anymore. Which is exactly why the Military Industrial complex will never willingly let such a thing happen.

Look, it is very possible... We can do it. We can end world hunger.... Again. The question is. Will we? WIll anyone read this and do something about it? Will you?

The world needs your help... What are you going to do about it?

edit on 1-6-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You know what, I really like your idea. Normally I really don't care for the "feed the hungry" topics, but you actually have a really good solution.
To bad TPTB would never go for it.
If you know anybody of any power (friend of a politician, mayor, etc) I would say run your idea by them and try to get some things rolling!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

There are 6,922,185,301 people living on earth today. That is six billion nine hundred twenty two million three hundred one people.

You forgot the 185 thousand
edit on 1-6-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is pretty much the same idea that Bill Hicks used to put forward at the end of his sets.

It is ridiculous how simply possible it is...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I understand what you're saying, but I think a hungry person would be happy with just 1 meal a day for starters and it wouldn't have to cost as much as $5.

What's more important is helping the hungry to feed themselves. Giving money to buy food...well, it has to come from somewhere but it is impracticle to do that constantly isn't it so money spent on farming, irrigation and healthcare is much better spent.

Well...you better start talking to TPTB eh?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm no mathmatician so tell me if I missed something here... Almost 7 billion people on Earth 15$ a day is waaaayy more than 4 billion... Isn't that about 7 billion x 15 x 365? Or did I miss something?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I want to add something that I did touch on. I wish to go into more detail though.

The military industrial complex is a business. Any business will do what it can to stay in business. Which is why our government would never willingly do something like this.

People across the world would see that we CAN end world hunger and start to wonder, what else could we cure with this money? Can we cure cancer AIDS? All diseases? What else? Well, you know exactly where the people would want the money to continue to come from.

This will never happen willingly, if the government has anything to say about it, because I truly believe you would start seeing a reduction in crim and general violence. People would not be fighting as much. People would not need to kill, steal, lie, cheat etc...

People would be a lot happier. Happy people means less chance for war... Less chance for war, means smaller budget for the Military Industrial complex.

Hey, if things got good enough in the world, it could mean a budget of zero for them, who knows. So, if you think they will just sit there and allow this to happen, you are mistaken.

What this thread is, is ideal thinking. I wanted to show that it is possible. It needs to be seen. World Hunger can be stopped right now. Other great things could happen as well...

Will what I have proposed in this thread, ever happen? I doubt it. Not with our present mind set.... Well, this thread was written, in hopes that maybe, we will one day, think out side the box and get our priorities straightened out.

Here is hoping we do, before it is too late for us as a civilization.

Peace and love.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wastedown
I'm no mathmatician so tell me if I missed something here... Almost 7 billion people on Earth 15$ a day is waaaayy more than 4 billion... Isn't that about 7 billion x 15 x 365? Or did I miss something?

15 dollars divided by 7 billion. Not multiplied by.

I am no mathematician either though.

so infact I do encourage others to please check my math.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
oh, I think the 4 bill is to feed those that can't afford it .. I agree with this and our military budget is *snip* ridiculous
edit on 1-6-2011 by WordPlayJAy because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1-6-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Help me out... Im still confused... If there are 7 billion people and each one gets 15$ per day that is 7 billion times 15... And that is just one day... Why devide?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
6,922,185,301 people times 15$ a day times 356 days equals

no clue where your getting 4 billion from but there is your year total for the data you suggested

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Help me out... Im still confused... If there are 7 billion people and each one gets 15$ per day that is 7 billion times 15... And that is just one day... Why devide?

Because you are dividing the money between the 7 billion people.

But my math was wrong though. The total would come to about 170 billion. I think.....

I would LOVE some one to double check my math.

I will gladly admit that math has always been my worst subject.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

You are correct actually. If we have 7 billion people, and each get $15 a day, then it's 7 billion X 15 which equals 105,000,000,000 a day(105 billion). Then multiply that by 365 days to get a year which equals 38,325,000,000,000 ($38 trillion a year)
I should have caught that in the initial thread. Good catch

There is no dividing needed at all. It's all multiplying
edit on 6/1/11 by QuantumPhysicist because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/11 by QuantumPhysicist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

OK I pretty much agree.
However,...
You said, and I quote.
"Spending $15.00 per day on everyone in the world to buy them 3 meals per day is bound to be expensive. Well, it is. It would cost about $4,153,309,763.80 per year."

Math is not my strong point but, just who got the $3.80 meal???

(Edit)
You have explained and now I see your math is as strong as mine!!

S&F for honesty.
edit on 1-6-2011 by g146541 because: my math is weak, but my Kung Fu is strong!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

OK I pretty much agree.
However,...
You said, and I quote.
"Spending $15.00 per day on everyone in the world to buy them 3 meals per day is bound to be expensive. Well, it is. It would cost about $4,153,309,763.80 per year."

Math is not my strong point but, just who got the $3.80 meal???

Ha sorry but that math makes no sense at all. There is no way you could end up with a 3.80 remainder if you are multiplying by a factor of 15

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Dont get me wrong... Im all for feeding the planet AND reducing our military spending... I always wonder when I see those feed the children adds how they can feed a child for "pennies a day" when it costs me so much to feed mine... The numbers you posted in the op seem to good to be true is all... If it works you are genius and we all need to get busy!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Yes well articulated and logical.

I really believe this can be a future for us. I think there will need to be a paradigm shift in the way we see consciousness and our connection to the world around us.
But I will put my intention and energy into realizing a reality where more is spent on humanity than war. That being said freewill means we must always be vigilant and ready to protect our values. There is an imbalance in spending's which equates to our combined energy. This has lead to the symptom of war fear and imprisonment. To treat the symptom we must diagnose the cause and treat that.
edit on 1-6-2011 by Shirak because: spelling oops error

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Corporations and individual citizens of the United States spend roughly 300 billion a year on various charities. Money is not the principle problem creating or abating hunger in the world today.

The problem is making people self sufficient. That is very difficult to do when most of the nearly one billion people you mentioned live in dictatorships, or are at war constantly. And no, we are not the ones causing all the war either. Education leads to self sustaining societies. Everything else comes with it. We know from the failing schools here in the United States that spending a metric butt load of money on bureaucracy meant to administer and run educational institutions does not work. Giving that money in the form of aid to the governments of other nations to end hunger and lack of education will result in much of that money going to the "leaders" and the military forces of those nations.

This has been shown time and time again. Money is NOT the solution to these problems. Helping to educate people, and spreading the idea of TRUE economic and social liberty will. And I don't mean the Theodore Roosevelt notion of spreading "democracy" at the barrel of a gun. I mean helping the people of other nations recreate liberty and stability in their own nations.

Part of the problem is the fact that the first world often takes many of the intelligent and educated people of other nations away from where they could make the biggest impact to fix their own countries with loose and uncontrolled immigration policies. The result has been a continual brain drain from the third world to the first world which aids in continuing the cycle of poverty indefinitely.

This video will illustrate my point:

Google Video Link

edit on 1-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

How would you insure this food gets to the ones it is intended for? Theft, and corruption. accounts for a lot of the hunger in this world.

See ya, Milt

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
we dont even need to do this, enough food is produced worldwide every year to feed 11 billion people(probably will increase thanks to gmo), so all we really need to do is just send some of it over there, and possibly make a few minor diet change(less meat). so if people ust stop wasting food, and companies, stop overcharging for food this wouldnt be a problem.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join