It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Benefits of Power Napping.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I have always loved naps. They are great.

For some reason, naps seem to be frowned upon in society; seeing people who nap as lazy, etc.

That is simply not true. Naps are a beautiful thing.

I used to work at a job where I would get a 30 minute lunch break. I would take that opportunity to go out to my car and take a 25 minute nap. This would be ultra refreshing, and I would be able to finish the next 5 hours of my job with a decent degree of alertness.

The reason I am writing this thread is because I am about to take a power nap. For me, I find that a 20-30 minute nap works best. If I take an hour nap, I find myself even sleepy and groggy and not wanting to wake up.

Sometimes if I close my eyes for 5-10 minutes, it is a nice little recharge.

Anyone else appreciate a good nap?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yes very much so.
You are right if you go past 30 minutes to an hour you just feel groggy.
I have really weird semi dreams too when I take a short nap.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Used to do that at my job as well.

I can still take a 20-30 min power nap at will. Anytime, Anywhere. And the dreams are so vivid but still so very aware of my surroundings. Weird.

I can get to dream state within 3-5 min and then wake up, no problem. I also have trained myself by a clock for night time without an alarm.

If I want to wake up at 6:30 am, I look at the clock and record the time. Then tell myself with math how long I have to sleep. If I look at the clock and it's 1:30 am, I tell myself that I have 5 hrs to sleep. No Alarm. I will usually wake within 5 mins of that time.

Neat huh?

So refreshing!

edit on 1-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm jealous. I cannot nap, I can't even get to sleep at night after being up for 20 hours!

The only time I've ever taken a nap is when I stay up all night, and am really tired the next day. Then I'll usually dose off for an hour or so before I get woken up again, but I'll agree that does usually give me a ton more energy once I'm awake.

I'm assuming taking tons of sleeping pills in order to catch a nap wouldn't be a good idea, since you probably wouldn't wake back up again

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Oh wow. that was nice.

Naps are hard to describe. It is not a deep sleep, but it is still sleep.

That was very refreshing.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
EVERYONE should have a 30-minute nap break right after lunch break, every day.

Power siesta!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I've taken power naps for decades, yet people always comment that they never see me sleep.

Wasn't Einstein a aficionado of power naps as well?

If you can discipline yourself to a 20-25 minute nap, it will rejuvinate you and make you so much more productive.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
People who can take naps I envy.

I have never been able to nap like many people can. I can even really sleep unless it's induced by meds during the day.

If I happen to take a nap due to meds or the rain (rain/thunderstorms I can sleep during) then I feel like crap when I wake up. I feel groggy and worse off than I did before I fell asleep. I was never one of those kids who slept during nap time either in school, so it's a life long thing apparently.

I'd love to be able to take naps because I get tired around the same time every day, 4pm or so. I get up really early around 6am and I am in bed at 12am so a little nap during the day when I can would be nice!!

When there is a storm I take full advantage of it if I am home. I take wonderful naps. I always found it odd that I can sleep no problem during a storm and wake up feeling fine but if I nap any other time I feel like crap when I wake up.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I've taken power naps for decades, yet people always comment that they never see me sleep.

Wasn't Einstein a aficionado of power naps as well?

If you can discipline yourself to a 20-25 minute nap, it will rejuvenate you and make you so much more productive.

I take my power naps sitting in a chair many times. Throw the head back, close the eyes and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Here is a little thing that I found that helps me fall asleep fast at night.

Remember when you were a kid? What was your favorite cartoon. That Saturday morning, wrapped maybe in a blanket and watching toons?

Mine was the Flintstones. Great memories.

So...when I want to fall asleep fast at night, I turn on my computer and play the Flintstones. No video, lowest sound possible. Just enough to hear.

I listen, I remember a better, more peaceful, carefree time. I know these toons by heart. That's good because I don't have to listen closely. Just in the background. and away I go, back to a better time...zzzz....sleepy time.

I have told others about this approach and many have said it works for them.

Anyhoo...just a tip.

G'Nite!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I am very jealous you can nap ive been awake for 36+hours and will be up for a while yet :
but when i sleep it is for some considerable, time feel terrible after it mostly.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yep, I've done the same with Looney tunes/Merry melodies, but I play them in my head. Since I've memorized them, I guess I'm dating myself.

Still love 'em though.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by jude11

Yep, I've done the same with Looney tunes/Merry melodies, but I play them in my head. Since I've memorized them, I guess I'm dating myself.

Still love 'em though.

No dating yourself.

It's all about sleep and it's like a sleeping pill.

I know younger people that have tried it with Power Rangers and the smurfs.

Whatever gets it done!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I always go to sleep with a smile...I think. Yikes! And Awaaaaaaay!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Pretty much everyday that I spend either at school or at work there is a time (typically around 2:30) where I am falling asleep so I try to use this time to take a power nap. I don't understand the biology behind this (if I have a snack it also wakes me up so I substitute this when a power nap is not available).

My parents told me about Italy where every shop would close down for half an hour or an hour during the "siesta" as everyone would take a nap. During this time literally everything is closed.

I have been curious my idea about instead of sleeping in 1 session splitting it into 2 or 3 throughout the day... I don't believe it would work with the circadian rhythm but it is an interesting thought.

Another tactic I heard about and actually use to great effect is having two alarms that go off about 15-25 mins apart. Once you adapt to these 2 alarms, after the first alarm goes off and you silence it, you immediately drop into the deepest stage of sleep (your body knows whats gonna happen so it wants to take advantage of the short time) and when the second alarm goes off you wake up really refreshed to start your day.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Dude! i dig the power naps, take two a day if i can.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Power napper here.

The 10-15 makes for a good recharge. I work from a home office so I keep pretty weird hours. I do them a few times through the day.

Then it's back to this darn KB.

Star and Flagggggg zzzzzzzzz

top topics

join