It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP fears Kucinich resolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Link

Seeking to avoid a showdown over Libya, House GOP leaders pulled back from a floor vote on a resolution by Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) that would bar U.S. involvement in the NATO-led campaign to topple Muammar Qadhafi.

GOP leaders were scrambling Wednesday morning to come up with an alternative plan for considering the measure. This could include having the Armed Services or Foreign Affairs committees draft backup proposals.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is about time this issue has been raised. When the executive steals authority from the legislative normally you would see a massive push back against such actions. That does not appear to be the case but perhaps we are not truly looking deep enough into this. Maybe many members of Congress are upset about this but are compelled to remain quiet; the liberals because they have their own party member in the White House and the conservatives because since the Bush years they have felt it is their obligation to support every war and military action without question.

That does not give them a pass on this subject however because all it shows is that for those in congress either they are on the side of the war machine, are too cowardice to stand up, or they are the few who do have courage.

Also please note one very important part of this article which I have placed in bold font. I thought that our campaign in Libya was based on humanitarian purposes… that is weird, who could have imaged we were actually in this conflict to overthrow Gaddafi. *sarcasm*

Another senior Republican staffer said House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) “is concerned that if this were to come to the floor now, it would pass” and could adversely affect the NATO mission in Libya.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So… there are at least 218 members of the House who are opposed to this war… err I mean conflict. It is about time the war machine part of the GOP starts to die away.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Leave it to one man...

It's that pesky "Constitution Thing" again.

Why would he bring that old thing up?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

That pesky constitution keeps popping its head up, why can't these people leave this worthless old document in the 18th century? We are trying to keep our country safe so we cannot bother with law or freedom.

edit on 6/1/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The whole assassination of Bin Laden overshadowed the Libyan adventure. It is amazing how easily we involve ourselves in foreign entanglements. How many wars can we possibly fight at once?

NATO quietly extended the intervention by another 90 days. Unconfirmed reports of British troops on the ground continue. This conquest is outrageous. I am saddened that I am numb to anger. I cannot even pretend to be surprised that the West is involved in such affairs.

Obushma?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
At least we have some common sense coming from DC!

I hope the GOP can realize that being against another conflict does not take away from their "conservatism". I say leave it alone and start bringing troops home as soon as they can!

Star and Flag, Sir.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Looks like they called off the vote

House scraps vote on Libya resolution

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The House of Representatives on Wednesday called off a vote on a proposal directing President Barack Obama to remove U.S. armed forces from Libya, with majority Republicans saying they wanted more time to weigh their options on the war.

Democrat Dennis Kucinich, the resolution's disappointed sponsor, suggested the vote was dropped because the measure might have passed, which would have confirmed that most of the lawmakers want the United States out of the Libyan conflict.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
ok so that pesky constitution didnt matter much to kucinich when he sold his soul for a air force one ride to get his vote on the unconstitutional obama care act.

but now all of the sudden the constituion matters to him.

kucinich is slime they all are in washington dc.

the constitution is only relevant when they deem it to be.
edit on 1-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Gosh, you mean the GOP arent actually against military action in Libya, but merely are against anything they can leverage against POTUS for their own partisan aims?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Obama's invoking of the War Powers Resolution expired 12 days ago. I'm finding it hard to believe that a Republican-led house isn't at least voting on it. Whether they vote to approve our involvement or to pull out...they need to fish or cut bait.

/TOA
edit on 1-6-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
GOP are so reptilian... always on the side of war and hate.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

If Kucinich is that concerned over this, then why doesnt he use the authority delegated to Congress by the Constitution, which gives congress control of the purse strings.

The war powers act is unconstitutional since it infringes on the authority delegated to the President by the Constitution - namely commander in chief of the armed forces.

Why create something new, when they arent even using whats already present?

War does not have to be declared for the President to use the armed forces. The president can order them into action, and Congress can decided to pay, or not pay, for the deployment.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

It's not nearly as simple as that. See, that's part of the annual budget stuff. And trying to talk budget while there are Republicans in the room is like talking about candy when there's a five year old around. Say the word and they'll start screaming and throwing things and demanding that you give them what they want.

Kucinich COULD do this - if I'm not mistaken, he and Bernie Sanders have tried many times since 2003 - but it never floats, because the Republicans keep drilling holes in it and the other Democrats are too spineless to mention putting corks in the holes.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
Obama's invoking of the War Powers Resolution expired 12 days ago

When did POTUS invoke the war powers act?

I'm finding it hard to believe that a Republican-led house isn't at least voting on it. Whether they vote to approve our involvement or to pull out...they need to fish or cut bait.

"Hard to believe"??????? I find it hard to believe you find it hard to believe the GOP are all talk on this. As i they want to create a precedent for themselves when they are back in the WH. Your faith in their constantly broken promises is amusing.

top topics

join