It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

------FORUM GUIDELINES------

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Hello,

As the Weapons and Tactics FSME(Forum Subject Matter Expert) it is my responsibility to facilitate, educate, and encourage positive and constructive discussion of weapons and tactics. That's what an FSME does.

This forum has a few ground rules that I take seriously and you should too if you actually want to contribute and learn from this forum. We'll start with what this forum ISN'T about:

This is NOT a political or social issues forum. Your stance on gun control and war, for or against, is NOT what this forum is for. For political and social issues discussions please refer to these forums;

US Political Madness

Above Politics

Political Conspiracies

Breaking Political News

Political Rivalry

Social Issues & Civil Unrest

PLEASE respect these very basic tenets of the Weapons and Tactics forum and respect the Terms and Conditions of Use. This forum is for the exploration of past, present, and future weapons of any kind. Please do NOT take a loose interpretation of weapons and tactics. Weapons are augmentations of human abilities in order to defend from and/or destroy/incapacitate people, animals, places and things. Tactics refers to the employment of strategies, scenarios, and how to incorporate certain weapons into such strategies and scenarios. It is very much a STUDY forum. Please do NOT take a loose interpretation of Tactics either. If you want to discuss sit-ins, protests, and other civil disobedience tactics do so in one of the links provided above.

Threads and INDIVIDUAL POSTS that do not meet these basic standards WILL be marked by me(and hopefully other members minding the rules) and may be relocated to another forum or deleted by forum staff at their discretion(MODS).

Thank You,

projectvxn
Weapons & Tactics FSME
edit on 14-12-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 8.11.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
That's what an FSME does.

Whats a FSME?

Doing a google search, the top results are...
Die Frühsommer-Meningoenzephalitis (FSME, engl. tick-borne encephalitis,
Frühsommer-Meningoenzephalitis
Farm Supplies, Machinery and Equipment
Tick-Borne Encephalitis Facts
Finite State Machine Editor (FSME)
Future Software Engineering and Multimedia
NRC: Federal & State Materials & Environmental Management- FSME

..and so forth.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Forum Subject Matter Expert.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Whats a FSME?

Forum Subject Matter Expert

[Edit to add]

^^^^^JINX!!!^^^^^
edit on 6/1/2011 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Why do we not have plasma guns? I figure a laser beam can ionize the air enough to conduct current, i.e. plasma, and then send a jolt of juice down the beam.....I guess that doesn't work, but why not? And if not, why doesn't someone solve this problem?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Forum Subject Matter Expert.

ahh, thanks, That'll be the reason why a google search didnt help as much as I'd hoped.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

I do believe there is a thread on that topic already.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread is not for the discussion of these things.

Please add to that discussion or start your own thread.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
9mm Glock 26 owner.15 rounds,trijicon sights.Nothing fancy,but I use this for home protection. No conceal and carry in this state. So I have a question. Whats the best round,for my weapon ?

Good forum to have,if I may say!
edit on 8-6-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
the topic should be about demilled armor throughout the country at every courthouse,national guard armory,and parks and recreation that can be quickly revitalized and used appropriately in a moments notice

lil guns are for sissies lets get after some real precision instruments

20mm 30mm 40mm 5"38 105mm 8"..you know, antiaircraft and field artillery, now thems real guns

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
SME's have the support of staff so long as they are within the terms of service. I will ensure all decorum is followed as all staff have, please remember to treat every member with the same respect as one would want others to treat them with.

With that out of the way, must admit the weapon system I liked most by far is the 25mm Bushmaster we have on our Bradley's, those rounds are effective against almost all but the most hardened targets. Even then AP with a HE round followed is an effective combo, considering the dual feed capability we have.

I've handled the DU rounds, but never used them.

reply to post by sonnny1

I carry a glock 30 .45 subcompact pocket pistol.
Have noticed for range the ball or full metal jacket rounds are good for target practice, and hollow points for home defense.

If you plan on using a specific type of round for home or person defense, I suggest practicing with those types of rounds. At least 25 or 50 rounds down range to get a feel for it. More obviously, will build skill and confidence.

edit on 8-6-2011 by ADVISOR because: to add above reply

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Thank you for your response. I am also planning to purchase a Springfield XDm 9mm in the fall. Its accuracy sold me,when I tested it out.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

For self defense I would recommend Golden Saber hollow point rounds. The particular design of the GS round allows the shooter to deliver most of the energy of the round into the assailant. This would prevent overpenetration which could be dangerous. If you want cheap range ammo Prvi Partizan ammunition is cheap, well made and won't dirty up your gun too much.

This should give a good example of what it looks like. This is the .45ACP version:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/61f1ed970f8b.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 11-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Being that i am a former marine and a current Corpsman My favorite weapon system is the one im most familiar with. The M-4. I was never too happy with with the stopping power of my nine mil but it was always nice to know that I had it.Plus we had SEALS running patrols in habaniyah or the hab and once when one of these "cool guys" was clearing his 9 mil upon coming in the wire he blew a hole in his hand. My unit ( 3/2) back in the Iraq days was one of the first to carry an MLG (multiple grenade launcher) And yes as a corpsman I carried it and I may have shot it at a building a time or too (plausible deniability). I was also a VC (Vehicle commander) with a mark 19 or 50cal depending on the day. This was on a PSD or personal security detachment for a BN Commander. I have utilised pretty much every weapon system from a nine mil to shooting a tow missile. I always wanted to shoot a Javelin and never got the chance but My platoon did and i was there when it was shot. Freakin outstanding experiences. Ill be honest though guys the absolute deadliest weapon on the battlefield today is a Navy Corpsman protecting his patient.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

No disrespect intended by my question but have you been in combat? I find that there are many experts and i find that the best experience is being in the #$%# for rea.l Like i said im not trying to start trouble but there is a difference between a guy that works ranges and plays with guns and the poor bastard that uses them on a daily basis. Im not questioning your expertise on weapons and tactics in any way shape or form. I just think that it should be known by the people who read and post in this forum whether you have ben in combat or not.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I can speak on ak rounds 7.62 and the funny things they do. I ran into this guy today whom i treated under fire. We were at a gas station on michigan avenue in habaniyah we were running patrols out of OP falcon supported by 81 mm mortars and all the other goodies. Sgt M well call him Dookie"" cause he was the #. He was standing next to me and "I had that feeling" so i took two steps back. Immediately a round hits dookie in the elbow it comes out of his forearm, Then hits the gunny in his ass (actually it hit his NVGs) then the bullet bounced and hit not one but 2 iraqi nationals. I had 4 casualties in seconds. I grabbed dookie threw him in the truck slapped the gunny in the ass and threw some bandages at the iraqis.Meanwhile the platoon opened up in the general direction of fire. We then boogied out of there, this all happened in 30 seconds. Funny thing is back then my jerkoff 1st seargent would not let the Corpsman carry anything beside their T/O weapon, a 9mm. My guys hooked me up with a Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun. As time went on it came down that the T/O weapon would be switched to an M4 plus they let us keep our 9mm. Dookie is currently at the wounded warriors barracks here at Lejeune.
edit on 3-8-2011 by semperkill because: misspellings

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperkill

No disrespect intended by my question but have you been in combat? I find that there are many experts and i find that the best experience is being in the #$%# for rea.l Like i said im not trying to start trouble but there is a difference between a guy that works ranges and plays with guns and the poor bastard that uses them on a daily basis. Im not questioning your expertise on weapons and tactics in any way shape or form. I just think that it should be known by the people who read and post in this forum whether you have ben in combat or not.

Never been in military combat. But I have had comparable experience on the streets and I am a very capable hunter and survivalist.

I will be in basic training come January(Army MOS 15-Tango). It always good to have service members here for their input on these subjects and I more than welcome your expert opinion.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

So what type of experiences make someone an expert in this field. I didn't see you list your accomplishments unless I overlooked it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

So what type of experiences make someone an expert in this field. I didn't see you list your accomplishments unless I overlooked it.

I have no motivation to share anything other than my practical knowledge and experience with people I don't know.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I thought I did ask about your experience.

Oh well

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
[more
Good enough for me. and welcome to the suck. It takes a brave man to enlist nowadays and I am glad to see guys "manning up" The military will welcome your experience. Guys like you usually find the transition easy and i look forward to hearing your bootcamp stories. If i have any advice to give you is this. The best leaders in this game have no ego and are humble. The coolest cool guys I met are the humblest and quietest guys in the world. Youd look at these guys and say "thats a SEAL" or "That guy is DELTA force" and most of them never ever look like the hollywood stereotype. As a survivalist and hunter your field craft is strong. During bootcamp what you learn may contradict what you know, thats ok. When you hit "the real world" (unit) you will be able to really put forth your ideas. Once again I didnt want to put you on the spot. But we military "been there done that" guys are fickle bunch. Welcome to the best gun club in the world. We are why this country is the greatest baddest and most active country in the world. In the corps side we say OOHRAHH but to you ill say HOOYAH.
edit on 3-8-2011 by semperkill because: misspellings sorry I R GRUNT

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join