It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Never Had a Name: This could very well happen to you too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

My momma never told me I didn’t have a name. In fact she didn’t know. But I didn’t have a name until I was 66 years old. Young people be warned. The Social Security people will not give you a dime without a valid birth certificate.

Dr. McMillan delivered me at home on February 4, 1941. I’m sure he meant well, but he forgot to put my name on my birth certificate. He delivered thousands of babies over the decades, probably more than 25,000 Native American, white, and black babies. Most of us were born at home. We couldn't afford a hospital. But if we had been born in a hospital, I would have had a name, I’m sure.

this story is a personal account of one Dean Chavers, Ph.D... of course this story could have happened to any of us... probably has happened to thousands of normal everyday folks... but Dean Chavers, Ph.D is not your typical nameless face.... and his is the story of what happens when the government decides your an "Unperson"

it didn’t matter to most people. My elementary and high school, as well as Hercules Powder Co., the University of Richmond, the Richmond Times-Dispatch, U.S. Air Force, UC Berkeley, Stanford, Cal State Hayward, Bacone College, and several dozen other employers paid it no attention. The Federal Bureau of Investigation even gave me a top secret clearance for the Air Force.

But when I applied for my Social Security retirement money in 1966

No sir, not your normal everyday man on the street
Dean Chavers, Ph.D., is the director of Catching the Dream, a national scholarship and school improvement program for American Indians located in Albuquerque. His latest book is Racism in Indian Country, published by Peter Lang Publishers in 2009. His book before that was a two-volume work of 800 pages called Modern American Indian Leaders published by Mellen Press in 2007. you think any of that mattered to the social security people...

you can read the full account of his journey to get a Name Here at Indian Country Today
edit on 1-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I don't know about everyone else but I would love not being "in the system". They can have their social security checks, I'd rather save on my own. It would also be a lot easier saving money by working "under the table", not paying taxes and never be caught doing so. Sounds like a dream come true.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

seems like the issue should have come up when he first applied for his SS card needed to work, not in 1966 when it was retirement time. maybe things were different when he was young. i had my SS identification at age 12 or 13, couldn't get hire without one.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
He damn well had a name and sounds like he did that name proud too—he just didn't have a number, which is a far far better thing all around, don't you think?

That being said, what I don't get is how they took his money gladly, no questions asked for all those years. Surely there is a clear paper trail, but now are being allowed to attempt to use this lame excuse to not pay what he is due?

(Illegal workers who pay "all those taxes" (rolls eyes) be warned, too, I guess?)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalthinking

True it would be nice not to be on anyones lists... however.... mister Dean Chavers is not an Unperson... nor was he trying to hide
he's spent a good deal of his life trying to make things better for all of us...
pointing out corruption uncovering social injustices... in short trying to make the world a little bit better than he found it....

Of course he did all that stuff before Social security got involved

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

my grandfather was born in 1907 at home in Sweetwater, Tennesse; the only record of his birth was in the family bible, he still had his original social security card he was issued in 1936; yet in 1972 we went thru a tremendous amount of red tape and crap to prove he was himself and not someone trying to assume his identity; in 1972.

The system, although designed to try and protect each one from identity theft, has always had flaws and boon-doggles within it.

Seeker

top topics

join