It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'We are on the verge of a great, great depression!'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Wall Street Baffled by Slowing Economy, Low Yields: Trader

Wall Street is having a hard time figuring out what to do now that the U.S. economy appears to be sputtering and yields are so low, Peter Yastrow, market strategist for Yastrow Origer, told CNBC.

"What we’ve got right now is almost near panic going on with money managers and people who are responsible for money," he said. "They can not find a yield and you just don’t want to be putting your money into commodities or things that are punts that might work out or they might not depending on what happens with the economy.

"We need to find real yield and real returns on these assets. You see bad data, you see Treasurys rally, you see all bonds and all fixed-income rally and then the people who are betting against the U.S. economy start getting bearish on stocks. That’s a huge mistake."

Stocks extended losses after the manufacturing fell below expectations in May and the private sector added only 38,000 jobs during the month.

"Interest rates are amazingly low and that, thanks to Ben Bernanke, is driving everything," Yastrow said. "We’re on the verge of a great, great depression. The [Federal Reserve] knows it."

Is there anyone left not predicting financial calamity?

A good portion of economic performance is psychological. With all of the down talk, it doesn't look like things will turn around anytime soon.

edit on 1-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Gotta love these guys. They are killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
And now they are in a panic because they can't make money like they used to.

The sucky part is we are the ones that will suffer.

link   
buy gold guns and silver

seeds lands and silver

link   
Im glad there are other out there talking about it. My father who i tryed to worn 6 months ago is finally opening his ears and stocking up on food and supplys. if QE3 starts i fear hyperinflation of the worlds reserve currency

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hmmm, someone needs to tell Obama this news.

Apparently he is too clueless to figure it out himself... surely had he... The Great One would have told us everything we needed to know by now....

Or, this story is bogus and there is no reason to fear as The Great One hasnt' said anything....

Which is it?

I pick the first option.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truther9111776
buy gold guns and silver

seeds lands and silver

But, but FEMA will come and save us.
The Fed Govt will protect and provide.

Fend for yourself you say? I am sure someone will be by to label you a fear-mongering redneck racist.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Well, this is what he was doing yesterday:

Leave aside what he says... Look at his affect... Flat and disinterested is what I see.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by Truther9111776
buy gold guns and silver

seeds lands and silver

But, but FEMA will come and save us.
The Fed Govt will protect and provide.

Fend for yourself you say? I am sure someone will be by to label you a fear-mongering redneck racist.

You said FEMA! I think there should be a jokes and pranks topic started up with the headline reading FEMA. Then you open it and the content states, "Enough said."

Dow was down almost 200 today last I checked. And not a word from CNN, hmmmm..... They did have an ad for the luxury doomsday bunkers though

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yes but do we really not know how we got here? REALLY?

Lets start with the fact that MOST of us depend on grocery stores for the food we eat which is regulated by the government USDA and the FDA etc etc etc......we don't know how to survive on our own anymore.

Hunting, Fishing, Gardening, and Learning how to Preserve Food are all a thing of the past thanks to our local grocery stores. Life is so easy now right? But what will you do when all that gets taken away?

We don't even have to know how to cook anymore thanks to McDonalds and many other well known fast food restaurants that serve you food so fast and so cheap its hardly worth it to have to visit your local grocery store. But should the food they serve up really be considered food?

We need to go back to subsistence kind of lifestyles so the health of our families is put back into our own hands and not those that don't know you much less care about your well being. IMHO of course!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by forall2see

yeah the USD had an uptick today and that afected the Dow to go lower. Silver is also taking a good licking to

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS
Yes but do we really not know how we got here? REALLY?

Lets start with the fact that MOST of us depend on grocery stores for the food we eat which is regulated by the government USDA and the FDA etc etc etc......we don't know how to survive on our own anymore.

Hunting, Fishing, Gardening, and Learning how to Preserve Food are all a thing of the past thanks to our local grocery stores. Life is so easy now right? But what will you do when all that gets taken away?

We don't even have to know how to cook anymore thanks to McDonalds and many other well known fast food restaurants that serve you food so fast and so cheap its hardly worth it to have to visit your local grocery store. But should the food they serve up really be considered food?

We need to go back to subsistence kind of lifestyles so the health of our families is put back into our own hands and not those that don't know you much less care about your well being. IMHO of course!

hey dont add me in your "WE". my family has alot of land in the forest and we are making preparations to grow food and cattle ranch when the SHFT happens. We take dilvery on the cattle next week

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Well I don't a depression is that bad. The US has a depression in the 1930s and life goes on as usual despite hardships

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I didnt really expect someone to say this on the mainstream media. We have been on the "verge" of a depression for awhile now.

Fannie Mae has already asked for an $8.5 billion dollar bailout early last month

Fannie Mae seeks $8.5 billion more in federal aid

WASHINGTON – Fannie Mae asked the government Friday for an additional $8.5 billion in aid after declining home prices caused more defaults on loans guaranteed by the mortgage giant.

Housing prices are still nearly in free-fall. We have a $1 trillion dollar college debt bubble. Plus, unemployment is still hovering around 9%.Not to mention stocks are falling hard today because of May data.

U.S. stocks fall hard on disappointing May data

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — U.S. stocks tumbled Wednesday after reports showed that U.S. companies hired fewer workers than expected and that manufacturing activity receded in May.

And heres a more indepth article about the manufacturing part

www.marketwatch.com...

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Growth in the U.S. manufacturing sector receded in May, owing to fewer orders and less production, according to a closely followed index.

The Institute for Supply Management’s manufacturing gauge fell to 53.5% last month from 60.4% in April, marking the third straight decline and the biggest one-month drop since 1984. It’s also the lowest reading in 13 months.

edit on 1-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
Well I don't a depression is that bad. The US has a depression in the 1930s and life goes on as usual despite hardships

you Obviously lack the understand of whats going on! This will help you out www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

A very interesting exchange.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

But if there is a depression could we still travel abroad, chat with foreign friends in the internet, if hardships come? I'm worried the coming depression might make me lose contact with my friends in Australia they have been very dear to me

edit on 1-6-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

But if there is a depression could we still travel abroad, chat with foreign friends in the internet, if hardships come? I'm worried the coming depression might make me lose contact with my friends in Australia they have been very dear to me

edit on 1-6-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

Simply yes, in a hyperinflated state, one the united states is not ready for, it will be diffcult to communicate, purchase food and fuel and do anything else with out a different means of "money". AKA gold and silver. Read my post i linked to above. it should scare you because its whats going to happen soon

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

What about nations such as N Korea, UK, France, Australia, China? What will happen to them? I played a video game called Homefront and it shows the fall of the US and the Rise of North Korea. In the game it also stated that North Korea invaded a now vulnerable United States

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

What about nations such as N Korea, UK, France, Australia, China? What will happen to them? I played a video game called Homefront and it shows the fall of the US and the Rise of North Korea. In the game it also stated that North Korea invaded a now vulnerable United States

lol you dont have to worry about North Korea, they dont have any means of invading america. for the rest or the countrys you listed all are in debt and growing with no means of paying of there debt. China is playing smart and buying up all the gold but i hear there econ is bassed off of building 100's of empty ghost towns. building just to build. This too will end badly for them

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I can't buy silver or gold. I live paycheck to paycheck with maybe $10 left over at the end of the month.(if I am lucky). Most of the times I end up borrowing money from a friend or family member. So this mean that I am -20 most months.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join