It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Budget cuts force Calif. police and firemen to watch man drown

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

??? That post is kinda odd. You can't really pick and choose when or who you want to save from suicide....Its they're job to stop that kinda stuff....not that I am for making suicide, or anyone assisting suicide illegal....

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So, now the city has changed the rules.

City changes rules after police watch man drown

"We will be putting into effect a new policy which allows our commander discretion after these circumstances," he said.

Either they've developed a conscience or they're trying to mitigate a massive PR headache.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Would never have happened in Australia. When we had the floods this year children were rescuing people stuck in the torrents. The people standing around should be haunted by this the rest of their lives.

This is the path bureaucracy takes people to. Sadly there is another thing in the states is that people sue over coffee burns.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

do " good samaritan laws " actually apply to proffessionals ?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It is not the firemen's fault .Not their fault he tried to kill himself by walking in there. And can you blame them for wanting a job the next day? Policy knows no emotion, but do not for a SECOND think they are mindless drones as some of you have said. They feel, and trust me, this will weigh on them heavily. My dad will come home with stories of people he couldnt save, even ones where they didnt arrive quick enough, or the person was already dead, he feels horrible for. Do the soldiers in veitnam deserve to be called babykillers, because they were forced by our military to do it? Youre doing the same thing, calling them horrible people. Think about it, instead of blaming the firefighters and police officers.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This country is satanic. Only in America would this monstrous lack of emotion occur. You know why the professionals didn't go in? They are not mindless zombies, they are psychopaths, cold blooded *** stains. I bet everyone of those bastards will sleep soundly tonight.

Also, I can't help but wonder if the war on males has anything to do with this. Everyday I'm reminded of just how worthless society thinks men are, so I could see how that would play into the lack of emotion, but I don't think we are that far gone yet... I hope. Then again, SEVENTY FIVE PEOPLE were watching this...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Stories like this make me ashamed to be a member of the human race.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I don't care what profession I was in...I would never be that "job scared" to stand back and let someone die, especially knowing I could save them. At least I would try. What, they were that scared of repercussions from their job if they jumped in to try to save another human beings life? I'd have to walk away from that job knowing my failure. How would you go on the next day saying, "I was just doing my job, following orders?"

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Really? Theyre cold blooded and sleeping sound? Go into any station, and say it. I dare you. I feel youve never been close to anyone in a line of work like that.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
reply to post by beezzer

well this must be exclusive story . cuz' NONE of the MSM is reporting this .. or it never happened.. Personally, I think it's a urban ledgend.. to insite us to riot vs gov/tptb ..

and is the man single, married, a loner, no family or children to speak up for him after his drowning?? .. is there a funeral and a public autopsy ??

and being off the shore gives the Coast Guard the RIGHT to intervene~!!! I call BS ..and it MUST have been a suiside because he 'preportedly' waded out to the 150FT (~!!!) depth........but.. yea.. not that he could have gotten in a ript tide and yanked under either..

Lets just report what we feel and to hell with the facts ~!!

edit on 1-6-2011 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

I watched it on CNN and then looked further into the story.

Here's a New York newspaper on the same story
www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
reply to post by beezzer

So, now the city has changed the rules.

City changes rules after police watch man drown

"We will be putting into effect a new policy which allows our commander discretion after these circumstances," he said.

Either they've developed a conscience or they're trying to mitigate a massive PR headache.

I think PR headache. Thank for the update. Brings to mind the old phrase, "shutting the barn door after the horses are out. But hey, maybe they'll get their little pieces of paper and sooth their tiny little moral centers with their certificates.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

This comes down to a moral question.
Did they do the right thing? Did they have a moral obligation to help this man? They were "protected" legally, but didn't they have a civil obligation?

Making excuses will not give these people an out.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I can understand that the fear of law suits is there. But I know that weighed against another life, then it becomes insignificant.

They chose a beaurocratic path. They chose to play it safe. They chose to watch a man die.

Things like that can stain a soul forever.

Just my humble opinion.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by chancemusky
reply to post by sliceNodice

Really? Theyre cold blooded and sleeping sound? Go into any station, and say it. I dare you. I feel youve never been close to anyone in a line of work like that.

I, for one, would have no problem calling them moral cowards. As a matter of fact, I've done so repeatedly throughout this thread. I know fire fighters, cops. This is inexcusable.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Have fun trying to sleep at night knowing you watched another man drown. I would have swam out to him, even knowing in his panic he most likely would have taken me down with him, but I would have offered him words of comfort, to calm him down, told him to breathe, to relax, take my hand and let me help him. Must have been his destiny. I don't know, I wasn't there but I would hope that I would have taken that leap.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Good Samaritan laws don't apply to firemen, EMTs, Paramedics, police men, ect what have you that are on duty.. It's a rather sad situation..

And you can thank our sue happy society and bureaucratic government for it..

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

The fact that a 20 year old woman did have the courage shows that there is hope in the world. She didn't save him, but she did more than the "professionals".

She had courage.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Laws are just a part of it. Thanks forthe info, but I have to ask again, when does morality trump civil laws? Or when did civil laws trump morality? When did that happen? When did we cross that rubicon?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

it's really hard to comprehend because you all probably have not been there..

Any of those fire men jumped in and saved that guy.. Then their career is most likely gone. They just sacrificed one moment of bravery for thousands of lives that they could have saved by continuing on in their work..

Don't blame the fire fighters, blame our government. I wouldnt be so quick to judge without considering the consequences.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mudman21
I guess the police did not want to go out and rescue the man because they knew they couldn't use their tazer's

the only thing these roid cops would have been able to do is cuff him.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join